4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How can i increase the amount of air coming out of my vents?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 09:45 AM

How can i increase the amount of air coming out of my vents?

When I have the AC on (or without)... when i switch the air to come out from the foot area and the upper area, the air coming out is much less than when i only have the air coming from the top.

Is there anyway to increase the pressure or amount of air coming out, so when it's on feet/body the air coming out will be equal to when it's only on the top setting?

thanks

oh, and if this already exists, I did a search for vent pressure but couldn't find anything. I might have been looking using the wrong keywords?
Old 07-22-2002, 10:15 AM

Re: How can i increase the amount of air coming out of my vents?

LOL, its summer time and all our ACs suck.. 400 views but no replys... keep ur fingers crossed.

Originally posted by multiplexor
When I have the AC on (or without)... when i switch the air to come out from the foot area and the upper area, the air coming out is much less than when i only have the air coming from the top.

Is there anyway to increase the pressure or amount of air coming out, so when it's on feet/body the air coming out will be equal to when it's only on the top setting?

thanks

oh, and if this already exists, I did a search for vent pressure but couldn't find anything. I might have been looking using the wrong keywords?
Old 07-22-2002, 10:33 AM

Re: Re: How can i increase the amount of air coming out of my vents?

Originally posted by _DRU_
LOL, its summer time and all our ACs suck.. 400 views but no replys... keep ur fingers crossed.

holy crap your right... haha
Hopefully someone has some ideas...
Old 07-22-2002, 11:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

thanks

That is normal...when you split the same amount of air that was going through one set of vents into two sets of vents you're going to have less pressure. I don't think there is much you can do about that unless you get a new fan?

-Jon
Old 07-22-2002, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by tmkforever

That is normal...when you split the same amount of air that was going through one set of vents into two sets of vents you're going to have less pressure. I don't think there is much you can do about that unless you get a new fan?

-Jon
yeah exactly.. since more vents open up, the air has to goto more places, losing pressure. Would be good to continually have the strong pressure there. I just have no idea where to look.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: How can i increase the amount of air coming out of my vents?

yeah exactly.. since more vents open up, the air has to goto more places, losing pressure. Would be good to continually have the strong pressure there. I just have no idea where to look.
You should get slightly higher pressure from all the vents if you put it on recirculating air when the AC is on.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: How can i increase the amount of air coming out of my vents?

Originally posted by Str8ridin

You should get slightly higher pressure from all the vents if you put it on recirculating air when the AC is on.
yeah, hehe, doing that now
Old 07-22-2002, 12:31 PM

Real Men drop the windows. I always felt like A/C wore down engines so i never use it and I live in South Carolina.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:19 PM

hardcore flossing street racers drop the windows. people who dont like to smell like sweat wherever they go blast the AC.

Originally posted by H.N.I.C.95
Real Men drop the windows. I always felt like A/C wore down engines so i never use it and I live in South Carolina.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:29 PM

real men drop their windows huh.. how many brain cells do these real men have.. AC is there for a reason.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:40 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

hahah AC is a must have! Although i am reluctant to use it sometimes... but when it's hot... i need the AC.

As for the more airflow issue... there must be someway to upgrade the fan... basically replacing it. I don't know if there would be room for a bigger fan. Or... wire in a minifan inside the car lol
Old 07-22-2002, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by _DRU_

LOL ur on 500 now w/no real ans.. LOL.. keepem crossed I hopin for something good one day when I look .. LOL>.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by H.N.I.C.95
Real Men drop the windows.

Old 07-22-2002, 05:35 PM

thanks

I work at an air conditioning and heating equipment manufacturer's research facility and test airflow in addition to other tests on blowers, furnaces, etc. I think that the fan wheel in the maxima's blower compartment does all it can do and there isn't room to upgrade the wheel size. Upgrading the blower motor with one that runs at higher RPM would probably not totally solve the problem because the fan wheel can only pick up a given amount of air on its fins and push that air. Going faster would cause "free wheeling", kind of like your tires spinning and not get traction on take off. Giving the car more gas won't result in better traction because that size tire can only grip so much at the given speed on take off. This isn't the best comparison, but it's late and the first thing that came to mind. Hope this helps. Sorry bro.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:58 PM

hmmm...

damn... uhm... hmm... just to throw this out there, but what if another fan was put in beside the first fan? That could probably work... though I actualy have no idea where the first fan is at this moment, so i dunno if another would fit, or...
Old 07-22-2002, 06:32 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

hmmm...

damn... uhm... hmm... just to throw this out there, but what if another fan was put in beside the first fan? That could probably work... though I actualy have no idea where the first fan is at this moment, so i dunno if another would fit, or...
yea! find somewhere else to put another fan and pull a tube and splice it w/ the original air vents. Or... if u don't want another fan... ram air baby!
Old 07-22-2002, 08:05 PM

multiplexor, it is the same on my car too (stronger pressure to the feet vents instead of the face vents when dual-mode is selected) ... so I suppose it's normal.

I just put it to my face, cold air moves down (to the feet) while hot air moves up right? Physics
Old 07-22-2002, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by pocketrocket
multiplexor, it is the same on my car too (stronger pressure to the feet vents instead of the face vents when dual-mode is selected) ... so I suppose it's normal.

I just put it to my face, cold air moves down (to the feet) while hot air moves up right? Physics
hehe true true
Old 07-22-2002, 10:10 PM

Man, lots of views but not much answers. Well, if your looking for more AC blowing in your face, set your AC to the face vents (of course that'll close off the foot vents) and if you happen to close the side vents, airflow will increase through the center vents where you can point them to wherever to please. I hope someone finds this helpful if they didn't know that already. Oh yea, the recirculation also helps like someone above suggested.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:32 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Ok, i don't know on how the compatibility of different car model's AC parts are...but here's something you should look into...(and we've actually timed this)

late 1980s or early 90s Nissan Stanza GXE @ noon, temp= 97 degrees, car temp went to 65 degrees in less than a minute. I had heard that the nickname for this car is the "Lil Refrigerator."

You might want to research what it is in those cars that make it cool down so fast. Between all my nissan friends, out of my maxima, an altima, a 3z, pathfinder, and the stanza...the stanza seemed like it has the best AC and it's the oldest car of the bunch too.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:23 AM

Originally posted by max002
Ok, i don't know on how the compatibility of different car model's AC parts are...but here's something you should look into...(and we've actually timed this)

late 1980s or early 90s Nissan Stanza GXE @ noon, temp= 97 degrees, car temp went to 65 degrees in less than a minute. I had heard that the nickname for this car is the "Lil Refrigerator."

You might want to research what it is in those cars that make it cool down so fast. Between all my nissan friends, out of my maxima, an altima, a 3z, pathfinder, and the stanza...the stanza seemed like it has the best AC and it's the oldest car of the bunch too.
hmm... maybe they had bulkier fans or something like that?
i'll have to look into that. thanks
Old 08-14-2002, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by max002

Only thing is that the stanza was an R-12 system where as ours are R-134a. R-12 is more efficient in cooling than 134a. to compensate for the lower cooling efficiency condensors, evaporators, valves, etc need to be upgraded, but I guess our maximas are still lacking.
My a/c is kinda weak. I don't think it's leaking, but does anybody know if putting a bit more 134a in the system helps? If so, how much pressure can we run w/o breaking anything?
Old 08-14-2002, 06:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Perhaps you should "think outside the box"

The airflow through the car also depends on how many air holes you have coming in, and going out. Our air holes coming in are under the hood by the wipers, and the exit holes are the grille behind the rear speakers. Those exit holes seem to take the air to the trunk. I don't really understand those exit air holes. If there was a way that you could make more exit holes, you could force the air into a position where the pressure going out is much less than the pressure going in, casuing more flow. You could also increase the pressure going in by putting some sort of hood scoop that would direct the air into the in-coming vents. That would be ugly, just a suggestion

Food for thought

DW