4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP really big problem!!Crankshaft Pos. sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 08:27 PM

HELP really big problem!!Crankshaft Pos. sensor

OK so my check engine light comes on. i run the check and it gives me the code 0905-Crankshaft postion sensor. WTF. So I check the Haynes article on the damn thing and it's talking about how to test it and how to see where the problem is. So i test the harness for voltage 12V at the white 5V at the red continuity to ground on the black good all is fine..so i think. So then i test the CPS and it doesn't test out. its supposed to give me like 12V at the white wire when i put a metal object against it (like a screwdriver) it doesn't so i'm all jolly and **** cuz i found the problem so i take my jolly a$$ down to the nissan dealership to buy the MF part and they got it all is good except for the $121 dollars they charged me for it. So i drive back home-****ed but again...jolly as hell. so i'm looking at the b!tch a$$ Check engine light saying i'mk about to kill you little a$$hole and all types of profane ish. but i couldn't help but notice how i'd wasted like a quarter tank of gas in the day and 1/2 i'd had the CEL. So i don't worry about it thinking i'm about to get rid of that problem so i continue on my journey up rte. 95 to my house...still jolly as hell. so i get home and i put on the sensor,reset the ecu CEL is gone OK. so i go for a test drive and i'm drivin for like 20 mins and all of a sudden b!tch theres the CEL again. so i get out of my car...nolonger jolly as hell and i'm cursin and saying all types of mean **** to my max tellin him how i'ma burn him and put him on the railroad tracks and not buy him any mods for like a year...but anyway i run the code and you wouldn't guess what it is the crankshaft position sensor!!!no ****. well this was all last saturday it is now tuesday and i've gone through two tanks. yes approx. 150 miles to a tank. my neighbors old a$$ v12 jaguar does better than that. this is serious. and im ****ed. anyway any recommendations. the haynes manual says that in rare instances(which would include me in the "rare" column with my luck) the flywheel may have a chip in it or something. is this big bucks if it turns out to be a non electrical problem??? i gotta take it to the nissan dealership soon i gotta bounce to college and i gotta drive it 1600 miles at 150 miles a tank it should cost me like 500 ingas to get there?? by the way the car doesn;t feel any weaker.HELP
Old 08-14-2002, 05:55 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

There are [b]TWO[b/] crank shaft position sensors on our cars. Obviously you replaced the wrong one.

Go back and read the Haynes manual again. It clearly explains this. The one you replaced was at the lower pully, correct? The one that's gone bad is located near the flywheel. It's under the car mounted right where the tranny meets the engine block. That sensor looks at the flywheel.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
[B]There are TWO[b/] crank shaft position sensors on our cars. Obviously you replaced the wrong one.

Go back and read the Haynes manual again. It clearly explains this. The one you replaced was at the lower pully, correct? The one that's gone bad is located near the flywheel. It's under the car mounted right where the tranny meets the engine block. That sensor looks at the flywheel.
I know theres two different CPS's. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor (position) the one near the transmission bellhousing. i was actually hoping it was just that i replaced the wrong one the problem aint that easy though...I bet i got a chipped flywheel.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by alexamparo

I bet i got a chipped flywheel.
Doubt it.. If your flywheel was chipped you'd hear it every time your starter gears came in contact with the chipped gear.

And I dont think that sensor looks at the teeth, I believe it looks at a series of magnetic points positioned at specific timing intervals. Most likely top dead center for each cylinder, which would mean 6 points.

I still think you replaced the wrong one. I don't remember which is which. One is POS and the other is called something else. Check everything again, pull the codes and make sure you're looking at the correct sensor.