4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Nissan Techs need A/C help

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 10:35 AM

Nissan Techs need A/C help

I ordered a rebuilt A/C compressor from Courtesy, but have some questions about install. I plan on replacing the compressor and accumulator at this time (but may aslo change expansion valve). The compressor arived, and contained no external oil to put in it. I went to a local dealer to get oil and he said that the compressor should already have oil in it. My problem is I have no idea if it has oil in it or how much. I went ahead and purchased a can of Nissan Type S PAG oil (1.75oz) and it cost $25. The Nissan parts guy said I souldn't need any more than that for changing compressor, however the Factory service manual says the system capacity is 8.5oz, it also says "Compressor (Service part)charging amount" is 8.5oz.

Are there any Nissan techs out there that can tell me if there is oil in the compressor, and how much.

I really don't want to buy 8.5oz (if I flush) @ $25 per 1.75oz.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2002, 01:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i recently replaced my compressor and drier. i ordered the compressor and O rings from courtesy and the texaco oil, nylog and drier from (I think it was Tim) at ackits.com
the oil is very cheap from him. i ordered 2 8.5oz bottles. first you fill the compressor to capacity and cycle it a bit to get the internals all wet, then drain it, and fill it with about 5oz and it is good to go.

unfortunatley, my AC still is TERRIBLE, i think the expansion valve has to be replaced and i will flush the system while i am at it too, but i may just take it to an AC shop this time. if you have instructions as to how to get to the expansion valve, i would very much like to have a copy. email me Joshua.Rubin@Colorado.EDU and we can talk, i can also give you my phone number if you need more help replacing the compressor and drier, i am sure i did the job well even though the AC still does not work (AIM: Miasmatic)

good luck
Old 07-22-2002, 05:03 PM

Yea, I read your posts on aircondition.com. It looks like it is the expansion valve. I wonder though if the Texeco POE is OK for this system? Nissan Type S PAG I believe is 46 vicosity while the Texeco is 100. Don't know if it will make much difference. I'll update you and let you know how it works out.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you should be fine with the texaco oil, good luck

btw, i am not positive that it is the expansion valve