4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CV Joint Questions????

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 02:34 PM

CV Joint Questions????

When I rotate my tires the guy told me my CV Joint Boot is ripped. I went to get some quote today at a local shop. The guy told me its $150 just for the boots, but if its making a clicking sounds that mean the axel is damaged, so I have to replace the axel too. And that will costs around $220..... So is it true I need to replace the axel too. I remember the last time when the CV joint boot ripped and making the clicking noise, I juste replaced the CV joint boot, and I thought that works fine..........But I not the best mechanic so I guess I could ask my fellow maxima driver. Thx
Old 07-23-2002, 03:09 PM

Re: CV Joint Questions????

I took my Maxima to MIDAS and they cleaned the CV joints and replaced the dust covers for $210.00 The funny thing is that about a week later I ran over a Wal-Mart bag and it got caught in my CV joints and riped the dust covers off! I still need to check if MIDAS will replace it for free since its under 30 days. If not, I guess there goes another couple hundread down the drain, till the next time I run over a plastic bag! Damn it.........
Old 07-23-2002, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by spam7788
When I rotate my tires the guy told me my CV Joint Boot is ripped. I went to get some quote today at a local shop. The guy told me its $150 just for the boots, but if its making a clicking sounds that mean the axel is damaged, so I have to replace the axel too. And that will costs around $220..... So is it true I need to replace the axel too. I remember the last time when the CV joint boot ripped and making the clicking noise, I juste replaced the CV joint boot, and I thought that works fine..........But I not the best mechanic so I guess I could ask my fellow maxima driver. Thx
A boot kit is a quick fix that wont last very long. Go to Raxles.com and they will hook you up for about 140 an axle.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:22 PM

price wise its smarter to get the whole axle fixed. labor is the same for replacing the boot or the whole axle. the whole axle is only like 40.00 more then just the boot.
it really depend on how long the boot has been ripped. if you catch it fast you can just do a boot replacement.
Nissan fixed my whole axle for 225.00..
Old 07-23-2002, 05:29 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If your boot has just ripped open and you catch it before there is a chance for dirt to get in and damage the joint, you don't need to replace the axel. Just get the proper boot kit. Not the split boots, but the real OEM boots. You have to take the axel out of the car and disassemble it a bit to get the new boots on. It's actually an easy job, just time consuming. The joints must be throughly cleaned and regreased as well. (very messey)

If your not making the click click noise yet, your CV joints may still be in good shape. Have the boots fixed and the joints cleaned and regreased ASAP!
Old 07-23-2002, 06:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by spam7788

I really got screwed on mine i went to install my sprint springs and i noticed that the boot was ripped i was going to go get it replaced at AutoZone i was going to buy a boot kit and do it myself but they dont sell them! I have to buy the whole axle for a max i was ****ed. I went to go to a brake job just a few days ago and now both are cut. But this one looks like the boot was Cut and it deteriorated, go figure. A local shop that i go to for everything is going to charge me 360 for new axles right/left.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:01 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

I had a great experience with www.raxles.com

$125 shipped for a passenger side axle. Installed it myself in about an hour and a half.