4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cruise control and the 5 speed conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002 | 07:24 PM

Cruise control and the 5 speed conversion?

Guys...
The theory the Harold I had was that if you wired the "N" switch to the pedal instead of out right the car's cruise would work.. But when doing so in Craig's car it did not.. Anyong out there w/ a 5 speed conversion w/ a working cruise.. if so what was the trick?
Old 07-23-2002 | 07:47 PM
Sports Button FTW

i never use it but it would be great to know how to fix this....
Old 07-23-2002 | 09:28 PM

I thought....

How come everyone says, the 5 speed converson is sound prof.. every one ive seen , i hear people of not having revers lights working, or cruz control, Why isent the 5 speed converson 100%

-ChRi§

GTR_Rider is the man! thanks for the pic
Old 07-24-2002 | 07:13 AM

Re: I thought....

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE
How come everyone says, the 5 speed converson is sound prof.. every one ive seen , i hear people of not having revers lights working, or cruz control, Why isent the 5 speed converson 100%

-ChRi§

Reverse lights everyone knows how to fix.. Cruise is another story.. If I had a converted car I could play w/ it to figure it out but I don't so I can't. On the 8 wire connector for the auto there is 2 wires that say the car is in drive.. That is the only thing it could be.. they need to jumped. Someone though on this board swapped ECU's and wire harnesses.. I want to know if this did it?
Old 07-24-2002 | 07:20 AM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Re: I thought....

Originally posted by cbr2

Reverse lights everyone knows how to fix.. Cruise is another story.. If I had a converted car I could play w/ it to figure it out but I don't so I can't. On the 8 wire connector for the auto there is 2 wires that say the car is in drive.. That is the only thing it could be.. they need to jumped. Someone though on this board swapped ECU's and wire harnesses.. I want to know if this did it?
hey cbr2, i switched ECU's but didn't switch wiring harnesses. When i switched ECU's, my engine light went away without me resetting it for hours and when i got in my driveway it went back on. I'm going to reset it this morning but is it necessary to switch harnesses or will i find out the hard way? i mean so engine light won't come on that is....
Old 07-24-2002 | 07:26 AM
Sports Button FTW

Old 07-24-2002 | 02:56 PM

Re: I thought....

-ChRi§

I have a 5 speed swap that is 100%. I just need a new ecu to make the CEL go away.
John.
Old 07-24-2002 | 05:59 PM

Originally posted by thezcarguy

I have a 5 speed swap that is 100%. I just need a new ecu to make the CEL go away.
John.
TheZcarguy who did you 5 speed converson? can u explane or have that person explane to cbr2 how to hook up the cruz control

-ChRi§
Old 07-24-2002 | 06:18 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Re: Re: I thought....

can u explane or have that person explane to cbr2 how to hook up the cruz control

-ChRi§

Chaz knows how to do it, we just overlooked it.
Old 07-24-2002 | 06:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I thought....

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Chaz knows how to do it, we just overlooked it.
No.. I think I know how.. But im not sure..
Old 07-24-2002 | 07:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I thought....

No.. I think I know how.. But im not sure..

Hmmmmmmm.....

I think I want my money back
Old 07-24-2002 | 08:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: I thought....

TheZcarguy who did you 5 speed converson? can u explane or have that person explane to cbr2 how to hook up the cruz control

-ChRi§
I didnt do it. But Finnishline Auto craft in Gardena CA. did mine.
(310) 767-1577 Ask for John Lee. He did mine.
Old 07-24-2002 | 09:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I thought....

I didnt do it. But Finnishline Auto craft in Gardena CA. did mine.
(310) 767-1577 Ask for John Lee. He did mine.
May I ask how much you payed and the condition of the main parts? (tranny, clutch, flywheel, ect.)
Old 07-24-2002 | 09:26 PM

Chaz you going to call that guy to find out?
Old 07-24-2002 | 11:00 PM
Sports Button FTW

Chaz you going to call that guy to find out?
umm, u only have to replace ECU to get rid of light right? i'm so freaking tired, woke up late and had to go straight to work and just got back and i'm tired, too tired to step in my car...i'll reset in morning but just wanted to know if ECU is all u needed...i have it installed
Old 07-25-2002 | 02:11 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

i replaced my ECU and engine wire harness. My cruise control doesnt work....im interested in getting it to work.
Old 07-25-2002 | 10:33 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
i replaced my ECU and engine wire harness. My cruise control doesnt work....im interested in getting it to work.
I was just up there last weekend. We should have hooked up and you could have checked it out. Anyway.. if there is anything I can do to help you guys out( look at my car ect.) let me know. How much are you guys all getting The 85 speed ecu's for??
John.
Old 07-25-2002 | 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max

Turbo max you have had a 5 speed converson done aslo??

I dident know that , hows it holding up, with the custom turbo kit, any problems?

-Chri§
Old 07-25-2002 | 11:43 AM

yea we did it earlier this year when we swapped in the built motor. Pretty good so far, we put in the VLSD trans and its much better to drive then the open diff trans. not as good as the Quaife tho.

john, i picked up a 95 5speed Fed spec ECU for $100 from a junkyard and off to JWT for custom turbo programing.
Old 07-25-2002 | 05:49 PM

How much does it cost to get the whole conversion done? Parts and labor.
Old 07-25-2002 | 06:55 PM

I was just up there last weekend. We should have hooked up and you could have checked it out. Anyway.. if there is anything I can do to help you guys out( look at my car ect.) let me know. How much are you guys all getting The 85 speed ecu's for??
John.
I guess this means you don't wanna answer my question

Other guy, I got mine done for $1200. This included a new clutch (better gripping then stock), and other neat stuff. However I was VERY generous to Cbr2 (and he knows what i'm talking about) with what I left behind so he owes me a few shift ***** and little deals like that.

Turbo95Max, if VLSD trannies are soo much better then regular ones, how come the fastest N/A Maxima is theblue with his standard tranny? (Nealoc will soon be the fastest when he breaks into the 13's..he doesn't have a limited slip tranny either)

BTW, A Word of warning. DO NOT buy ACP Shift *****. They will continuously come loose
Old 07-25-2002 | 06:59 PM

Other guy, I got mine done for $1200. This included a new clutch (better gripping then stock), and other neat stuff.

Sorry to keep bugging everyone but it costed $1200 total? is that for all the parts and installation together?
Old 07-25-2002 | 07:00 PM

Originally posted by SupermaxGxe
Other guy, I got mine done for $1200. This included a new clutch (better gripping then stock), and other neat stuff.

Sorry to keep bugging everyone but it costed $1200 total? is that for all the parts and installation together?
Yes that included ALL parts and labor, although I helped out alot.
Old 07-25-2002 | 07:05 PM

Yeah no dought, i cant wait to get mine done, i just hope Chaz figures out how to get the cruz control hooked up by the time i come up with the money

-ChRi§
Old 07-25-2002 | 07:17 PM

hehehe.... i thought i was the only one with the problem. it would be really nice if cruise could be fixed. by the way...how did you all fixed the reverse lights???
Old 07-25-2002 | 08:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My Cruise control works fine, i just never wired teh reverse lights. Maybe each year of the maxima is different? All I did was wire the neutral switch to the back of the clutch pedal and it works. When i converted meccanobles car it was different though. I wired the switch the same way, but he cant use cruise control, and does not have to press the clutch to start the car. (maybe i screwed it up?, doubt it) My car I have to press the clutch to start it. I have a 96 gle, meccanoble has 95 gle. OK, those who wired those reverse lights, what wires is it! lol. damnit.
Old 07-26-2002 | 12:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Skeelo... Did you wire the green/orange and black wires to the clutch? Im assuming those are the wires from the car. what about the wire attached to the tranny? according to chilton schematics it should be the red/blue or green/white and green wires coming out of the car and into the tranny harness. since i haven't done the conversion yet i have no clue what im talking about. HLH's pic of the wires make it look like there all red. meccanobles wires might be backwards... does it still start if you push down all the way on the clutch? also since car is still wired(relays) as an auto the cruise control should not be affected. I cant wait to do mine... But i will wait till all this is figured out.
Old 07-26-2002 | 12:33 AM

Turbo95Max, if VLSD trannies are soo much better then regular ones, how come the fastest N/A Maxima is theblue with his standard tranny? (Nealoc will soon be the fastest when he breaks into the 13's..he doesn't have a limited slip tranny either)

well, it depends what you consider "fast". to me, fast is how fast a car goes on a road course, driver skill, braking, handling, engine power. You are talkin bout fast in a straightline. id bet if theblue or Nealoc gets an LSD trans, their 60ft times would improve some and therefore they would be faster with the LSD. Juss cause their not running it doesnt mean open diff trannies are "faster".
Old 07-26-2002 | 06:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I thought....

May I ask how much you payed and the condition of the main parts? (tranny, clutch, flywheel, ect.)
Sorry, I didnt mean to avoid the question. I got the whole swap out the the door for $450. Thats with a new stock flywheel, ACT stage II clutch ( ~2500 miles on it) and tranny was off a 96 and rebuilt ~ 5000 miles ago. Also a pace setter STS (bought when the tranny was rebuilt). I got a deal I couldnt pass up.
John.
Old 07-26-2002 | 08:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I thought....

Sorry, I didnt mean to avoid the question. I got the whole swap out the the door for $450. Thats with a new stock flywheel, ACT stage II clutch ( ~2500 miles on it) and tranny was off a 96 and rebuilt ~ 5000 miles ago. Also a pace setter STS (bought when the tranny was rebuilt). I got a deal I couldnt pass up.
John.
$450!!!
Old 07-26-2002 | 08:27 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Ya got it from Steve, didn't ya?

John.
Old 07-26-2002 | 09:27 AM

Anyone figure out how to get the cruz control hooked up?

-ChRi§
Old 07-26-2002 | 10:42 AM

John.
I don't consider that price to be anything but the sign of a true friend...forget profits, your buddy probubly had to pay out of his own pocket to convert your car that cheap. You better be very gratefull to the peeps who hooked you up!

-C
Old 07-26-2002 | 10:50 AM
Sports Button FTW

argh, my cruise doesn't work....u guys still didn't answer my question about ECu...do u HAVE to buy wiring harness or just ECU? i only have ECU...oh and i got my pedal adjusted, feels so much better but compared to skeelo's car, my start is kind of bad, i'm shaking and my starts are kind of clean...must be that stupid y-pipe matt gave me....DAM U MATT!
Old 07-26-2002 | 11:15 AM

Originally posted by meccanoble
argh, my cruise doesn't work....u guys still didn't answer my question about ECu...do u HAVE to buy wiring harness or just ECU? i only have ECU...oh and i got my pedal adjusted, feels so much better but compared to skeelo's car, my start is kind of bad, i'm shaking and my starts are kind of clean...must be that stupid y-pipe matt gave me....DAM U MATT!

When i had my ypipe, it used to rub on the frame, which when started made it feel like i was starting a big block v8, and shook the steering wheel at the turn of the key. Glad to hear your pedal feels good. Your clutch should be grabbing earlier than before, right?
Old 07-26-2002 | 11:41 AM

Question here regarding the clutch for Chazman and Skeelo:

We all know that in order to shift you must push the clutch in all the way (or at least 3/4). After I shift I have to release the clutch half way until it grabs. The car will not accelerate unless the clutch is let out 50% or it'll just revv. Is this normal? Do I need to bleed the clutch?
Old 07-26-2002 | 11:44 AM

We all know that in order to shift you must push the clutch in all the way (or at least 3/4). After I shift I have to release the clutch half way until it grabs. So basically my car will just revv unless I let off the clutch pedal to 50%. Is this where your 5-speeds are grabbing? Maybe I need to bleed the clutch again?
Hey Craig you were telling me not to get the short shifter becuase it makes the shifts really hard...ive been talking to alot of people and they say yes it makes it more stiff, but u will get use to it, and to make it more smooth, replace your tranny fluid with redline tranny fluid

-ChRi§
Old 07-26-2002 | 11:49 AM

Hey Craig you were telling me not to get the short shifter becuase it makes the shifts really hard...ive been talking to alot of people and they say yes it makes it more stiff, but u will get use to it, and to make it more smooth, replace your tranny fluid with redline tranny fluid

-ChRi§

I doubt the fluid is going to make a difference that you will feel. Basically this is what holds to be true: The shorter you make the throw, the more stiff it becomes. The longer you make the throw the smoother it becomes. I have gotten used to my shifter and love how short it is. If only it was as smooth as stock it would be a perfect combo. It's all about what you want, smoothness or performance, and I chose the second.
Old 07-26-2002 | 11:57 AM

We all know that in order to shift you must push the clutch in all the way (or at least 3/4). After I shift I have to release the clutch half way until it grabs. The car will not accelerate unless the clutch is let out 50% or it'll just revv. Is this normal? Do I need to bleed the clutch?

thats how mine is....

Im starting to get the feeling if we put a spacer there it might help the feel of the cluthc
Old 07-26-2002 | 01:27 PM
Ramius83

When you completed the 5-speed install, did you not bleed the lines? Air in the lines might be the cause of that.....

Quick Reply: Cruise control and the 5 speed conversion?