4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Metal Axis Pads and X-Drilled Rotors from Eatricezone

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 01:31 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Metal Axis Pads and X-Drilled Rotors from Eatricezone

Who's using this setup on here? My car needs brakes and I'm thinking about buying this setup.

How's the stopping power compaired to stock?

Any problems with cold (1st thing in the AM) stops? I've heard the Metal Masters need some warm up time.

Any vibrations after a year or so of usage?

Would you recommend this setup to me?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-24-2002, 03:10 PM

i don;t know if this helps, but i just installed Performance Friction Carbon-metallic pads and cheap blank rotors from autozone. total cost for the fronts was $70.

these pads are great for the price. brake pedal seems more firm and they are more progressive than stock, which is good since I don't have ABS. they do need about 1-2 good stops before they are at 100%.

they are a bit noisy, but for $30 pads I'm not complaining

hope this helps
Old 07-24-2002, 03:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was shopping for new pads & rotors last month....after doing some reading (searching) I ran into some bad reviews on the Axxis Metal Masters. However, I could not find any bad reviews on the Porterfield R4-S pads (other than they dusted more than usual) so those are the ones I ended up getting. I got the Stillen slotted rotors (front & rear) as well, because I had a feeling that the cross drilled rotors would eat up my pads quicker. Maybe that's just a bad assumption though, I don't know. I also liked the looks of the slotted rotors better....they don't stand out as much as the cross-drilled ones do. It's weird, the slots on the front rotors are pointed at the ends whereas the slots on the rear rotors are rounded off at the ends. A very subtle difference, but it does make me wonder.

Anyway, the setup has been installed for a couple of weeks now. Brake feel is improved from stock, but I am just as happy to not have those ugly rusting stock rotors in there anymore. I cut off all of the dust shields in hopes that it would help the rotors stay cool and make the cad plating stand out more. I also painted the calipers black while everything was apart. Everything went back together great and I am very satisfied with my setup.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble....I hope this helps you. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:42 PM

I just put in Performance Friction pads and the Brembo X-Drilled rotors. A little worse on the dusting and I didn't really notice any decline in stopping power when cold. Once they start warming up in stop and go or after a hard stop you can definately tell they bite more. Where my brakes would fade before (I am hard on brakes - last rotors (stock) came off warped, hot-spotted, and glazed) they bite harder now.

HTH
Old 07-24-2002, 05:56 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

I have the Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads on OEM rotors.

I like them a lot.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:59 PM
i SeE what you did therE

i have the stillen slotted rotors (front and back)

and i have the metal master pads (front and rear)

well at first they were bad.. but that went along with wearing in new rotors and pads at the same time..

they are great now.. good stopping power over stock
the dust is minimal
i have developed a squeak from the front and i have a half a pad left.
not sure why that is happening.

i am going to try the conventional ways of making them stop squeaking.

i really like the setup
i also have ss break lines
and i am switching to synthetic brake fluid soon

and i am converting to 300z calipers soon too.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:04 PM

I too have the Performance Friction pads from AZ....

I like them mucho.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:39 PM

Tom I have slotted rotors and Axxis pads with SS lines. The setup is better than stock, and allowed me to run both my 18s and my SE 16s (hence no bigger calipers). I have had my brakes on for a year without any problems, and I never really noticed having to warm up the brakes in the morning. I also broke in the pad on the new rotors with no problems one year and 20k later.
Phuong is great, but you could probably save yourself some money by ordering from Brian at Fastbrakes.com.
If you have any questions just email me. BTW thanks for the spacers (I haven't installed them yet because I've been really busy though) .
-hype
Old 07-24-2002, 07:00 PM

tom, i am also in the same as you with the brakes. mine definately ready to be changed. i am looking very hard at the same setup offered at eatricezone.com.

i am sure the slotted/drilled rotors and axxis pads are an improvement over stock...but the question i am asking is if its worth the extra $400-500 dollars extra?

i could go get blank rotors and performance friction pads for about $200 all the way around. it will be close to $600 for the setup i am looking at and some of you already have. if the performance is worthwhile i will most definately splure. but otherwise, i will go the other route.

let me know what you guys think.

--Paul
Old 07-24-2002, 07:05 PM

I've had both the Metal-Lux pads (semi) and the Metal Masters, but on OEM rotors. The metal masters do need a very small amount of warm up time, just press the brakes hard twice and they're good.
These pads perform Great! When you push them down, they stop the car.

Not sure why you want X-drilled rotors (mostly for show?). But actually you can get direct replacement rotors (solid) that are made by Brembo, and they're relatively cheap. If you want the link for the brembo solid rotors just PM me. I have the info on my work computer, my friend got them for his maxima.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:13 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!! I want the x-drilled for looks only. The pads sounds like they will be just fine for what I'm after. I'll order them soon. I'll also paint my calipers (silver) to make the whole setup really clean looking.

Thanks for all the input.
Tom

P.S. Ask 97Maxgurl (AnGe) how dinner was tonight.......