4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cat-back nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 02:15 PM

Cat-back nightmare!

About how many horses does one get from the mandrel bent b-pipe? The piping from the cat to the rear section. I bought an HKS muffler and had a local shop install it and replace my stock cat back piping with their own b-pipe to match the muffler's diameter which is 2.5 inches I belive. However the idiots chopped off the bolt on piece of my $300 HKS muffler, then sotered it to their custom 2.5 inch non-mandrel bent piping and then sotered it to the muffler. I really regreat doing this. Can anyone tell me if I gained HP? I can't feel the diffrence so it must be minimal however I can sure tell the sound diffrence. They also sotered it to my cat. So I can't do **** from the y-pipe back unless I buy a new cat-converter and cat back system and bolt it on myself. Lesson learned! Thanks.....
Old 07-25-2002, 02:33 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

cat back doesn't do much
Old 07-25-2002, 02:52 PM

I've heard that the Greddy Cat back adds 7-12 horses and figured similar cat-backs add a similar amount. Is this incorrect?
Old 07-25-2002, 02:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Cat-back nightmare!

Instead of making flanges they welded all the connections?!! Man, I would be ****ed! unless you agreed for them to do that I'd seriously consider litigations!
Old 07-25-2002, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by Chino
I've heard that the Greddy Cat back adds 7-12 horses and figured similar cat-backs add a similar amount. Is this incorrect?
i've never heard of anything of the such...
Old 07-25-2002, 03:02 PM

Cat back bought like the greddy sp, or World Sport (APex) will add more HP than a muffler shop bent piping......but the gains will be like2-5 hp but if u add a HIflow cat it can reach up too 7hp....and Y-pipe maybe like 12 hp. thats how it is its not going to do all at once......i have hiflow cat and a ypipe i am going to get a ready made cat back for my car just to finish it off right. ALso if u dont like any of the cat backs get A universal muffler u like like a HKs, APex N1, DUnk, ect. and buy a after market B pipe specially bent for our cars like stillen, cattman. this is the right way to do it......
Old 07-25-2002, 04:57 PM

Re: Re: Cat-back nightmare!

Originally posted by Mishmosh
Instead of making flanges they welded all the connections?!! Man, I would be ****ed! unless you agreed for them to do that I'd seriously consider litigations!
No, I did not agree to this. I was actually quite ****ed off when I put my car on the lift and saw the work that was done. Can I seriously do anything about it? The worst part of it all is my $300 HKS muffler. I'm upset that they chopped off the mounts. If they would have left them there, I could have salvaged it and used it latter with better a better mid-pipe. Can I seriously do anything? Please advise! Thanks.....
Old 07-25-2002, 05:08 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: Re: Re: Cat-back nightmare!

yeah its pretty fuc|< in illegal for any muffler shop to touch a functional cat, tell them to put it back to the way it was no charge, or your calling the epa. I'm sure that they'll help you it since they will get fined till they scream. Sounds like a ghetto shop if they just cut all flanges and welded things 2gether lol.... mabe they dont know what sockets arE? or maybe they like the sparkly blue action !
Old 07-25-2002, 05:46 PM

So they did not even tell you that they did it that way?

Trust me dude... welding from cat to muffler is totally NOT conventional practice. If you needed to go to small claims court, you simply need to have some reputable muffler shops give a statment that this is just plain wrong! I mean, the factory setup comes with flanges for a reason!

I agree with seximagtr, go back ASAP and demand that they put conventional flanges/gaskets. I would also demand an explanation. Was this some mom-and-pop shop? I can't see any reputable shop doing this? I would even be fearful that they wouldn't do a good job reversing their mess. In any case, threaten legal action on the grounds that this work is non-conventional, wasn't authorized, and if they don't reverse it, you will litigate for their charges, the cost of reversing their mess, including new piping (assuming they threw out the stock plumbing).

Yeah, the muffler would be the greatest loss. As long as they left some muffler piping intact (pipe that goes before muffler), it can be salvaged easily. Bottom line is that they are lazy ****'s and probably didn't think you would check up on their work or think anything of it. Basically, the setup just demands $$$ for future work.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:41 PM

Well I'd like to thank everyone for their input. I'm a member of the USAF so I think I will visit base legal (free lawyers) and present my case. I have a print out of this discussion and hopefully it will help. I would like to get my money back for the work and for damages to my beatiful HKS muffler that now has been circumsized! BTW The shop is "Advanced Muffler" in N Nellis Blvd, Las Vegas, NV!
Old 07-26-2002, 05:09 PM

Realistically, a reasonable settlement would be to have the b-pipe installed at the price quoted and done with flanges. You will have to verify yourself that it was done properly though since their work is suspect now. Make sure there is plenty of exhaust free play. Make sure all hangers are used. Make sure gaskets are used and that there is no sign (nor feel) of exhaust leak.

It is hard to quantify the damage done to the HKS. Was this a universal or did they somehow just stick pipe into the hole of the flange and weld around? If it was a bolt-on muffler, I don't know that they can salvage the proper length/flange but at least they can add a flange to it to connect with their B-pipe. You just may have limited resell options. Ideally, you want them to restore the HKS to it's original condition--they had no right whatsoever to modify/alter both the existing muffler nor the catalytic converter. Because of betterment issues, you will still have to pay for the B-pipe and it's install though since returning the setup to stock is probably not possible.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Mishmosh
Realistically, a reasonable settlement would be to have the b-pipe installed at the price quoted and done with flanges. You will have to verify yourself that it was done properly though since their work is suspect now. Make sure there is plenty of exhaust free play. Make sure all hangers are used. Make sure gaskets are used and that there is no sign (nor feel) of exhaust leak.

It is hard to quantify the damage done to the HKS. Was this a universal or did they somehow just stick pipe into the hole of the flange and weld around? If it was a bolt-on muffler, I don't know that they can salvage the proper length/flange but at least they can add a flange to it to connect with their B-pipe. You just may have limited resell options. Ideally, you want them to restore the HKS to it's original condition--they had no right whatsoever to modify/alter both the existing muffler nor the catalytic converter. Because of betterment issues, you will still have to pay for the B-pipe and it's install though since returning the setup to stock is probably not possible.
I went back and they agreed to make the muffler's flange again and restore it back to normal somewhat. However I think I might have to contact HKS to get the exact specifications of the flange it had, no? I hope all goes well...
Old 08-12-2002, 08:25 PM

Turbo magazine did a comparison of like 10 different cat back systems for a Celica and most showed improvement of between 5-6.5 peak hp gain on the dyno plot. The Greddy was one of the better for hp, it showed a 6.6 peak hp improvement over stock.