4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transimission questions NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 09:20 PM

Transimission questions NEED HELP!

If I want to go from Auto to Standard, I have a 95' SE possible in need of new transmission Can I buy a Standard Transmission BRAND NEW or will it ahve to be off of another maxima form a junkyard, also will a 97-99'SE Standard Tranny work or do I need a 95 or what? any help or response is greatly appreciated, I have about 114,000 miles is it normal for tranny wear at this point?
Old 07-25-2002, 10:04 PM

Bump
Old 07-25-2002, 10:47 PM
Sports Button FTW

i just did swap and i got my trans from a used car. You can get any trans (4th gen) but most rather buy it from junkyard max cause if u gonna spend so much on a tranny (new one probably run 2,000 or more) alone, then might as well sell car and get new one.

but there's more to it than just switching tranny. Do a search, there is so much more....
Old 07-25-2002, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by meccanoble
i just did swap and i got my trans from a used car. You can get any trans (4th gen) but most rather buy it from junkyard max cause if u gonna spend so much on a tranny (new one probably run 2,000 or more) alone, then might as well sell car and get new one.

but there's more to it than just switching tranny. Do a search, there is so much more....
How much did your swap costs? Did you look into getting a NEW Tranny, any problems you had, and exactly what year was your car and tranny and all that, was your Auto Tranny in good condition before the swap or did you need a new tranny? Just give me any details you can about your swap? HOw long did it take, Did you do it yourself or what?
Old 07-25-2002, 11:10 PM

Besides mecca (and probably a few more I don't know much about), there is a young man by the name of Erik (Ramius83 on the board) in the SE forum who is doing the swap on his 96 as we speak. Both could probably give you a nutshell idea on the type of project that it is. I can assure you is not for the faint at heart. Can and has been done sucessfully and economically, but very involved mechanical knowledge is necessary. I'd suggest ask either one.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:07 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by liquidfire3001

How much did your swap costs? Did you look into getting a NEW Tranny, any problems you had, and exactly what year was your car and tranny and all that, was your Auto Tranny in good condition before the swap or did you need a new tranny? Just give me any details you can about your swap? HOw long did it take, Did you do it yourself or what?
well i paid a little too much for my swap compared to most...my total with payment of install came to roughly 2400...but unlike most people i bought a lot of my parts brand new (cylidners mainly) You can pay much less for conversion but to be full proof, its recommended to buy certain things new (not necessary though). I never looked into getting a new tranny. Rather just get a 5 speed max off the back used...i averaged out how much my car was worth and how much i would get for it and all the mods i would lose and the sentimental value and it came out to be better for me if i did conversion...for more details on that email me.

My auto tranny was bad, or my shifting was ugly plus one of my axles was dead and car just got stolen so the car wasn't teh way it was before. The swap can be done by yourself but takes a lot of lifting and dirty work. I paid someone to do it for me cause i don't know too much about under the hood. It involves no electrics so as long as car runs, you know it worked.

The only problems people have had with conversion are: reverse lights not working, engine light, clutch slipping, climate control not working and most importantly, bad bearings on trans.

The reverse lights has been solved, the clutch slipping can be solved if u take car to shop and have them adjust pedals and what not, engine light will come off once u put SE 5 speed engine computer in the car, and the bad bearings will get you whether u do conversion or not. It all depends on the trans u have. 4th gen trans are notorious for having bad bearings and if u get a new trans you'll be safe but i don't think it worth it....u can replace bearings (which is not easy) or you can find trans with low mileage (preferably 60,000 or less)....any trans (95-99) will fit for conversion. I have 95 GLE and put 97 GXE trans in my car...no extra problems

hope i explained a enough
Old 07-26-2002, 08:01 AM

Just to clear up all confusion and mis-information about tranny's... the 95-97 are the same, and 98-99.... it does NOT go with the body change between 96/97

Goodluck, check my webpage for more instructions on how to convert (step by step) and the nissan 5spd tranny's last for a very long time before needing repair unlike the auto, so dont worry about buying a used one - usually a safe bet.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I did two swaps so far. Mine and mecca's. It takes a damn long time, probably 20 hrs or so. Alot of work, you can't stress that enough. Looking to spend round 1200 if you doit yoruself, id say thats avg price, not inlcuding any act clutch or anything.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:06 AM

Well are transimission an easy thing to find? Or is gonna take ALOT OF SEARCHING?
Old 07-28-2002, 12:25 AM
Sports Button FTW

Well are transimission an easy thing to find? Or is gonna take ALOT OF SEARCHING?
finding a manual transmission is not hard....

finding a manual transmission at a good price is hard

and finding everything u need for conversion is even harder...all those small stuff, hydraulic lines, return springs, cotter pins, etc. are a B!tch to get and more than likely you won't get those unless u find a whole car to strip....when u get into buying everything seperate u spend a heavy duty amount.....
Old 07-28-2002, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by Supai91
I'm ready to swap to 5 speed but I do have a problem
My maxima is 98 model and the tranny that I got was for 95 or 96 maxima.
There is a plastic odometer in the tranny,should I change that to one with 98 model because the odometer in 98,99 maxima is digital.
I don't know if it will read fine!
Any one can answer this please
By the way my odometer is in Km/h because this is middle east version.
Thanks
I doubt you have switch the speed sensor and any tranny from a 95-99 will work fine for you.. THe dif is in 98-99 the auto tanny was updated so you need to follow the wire diagrams for the 98-99 auto and no tthe 95-97 one.