4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I have a stuiped question about Hybrid Intake...But i'll ask anyway

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 05:12 PM

I have a stuiped question about Hybrid Intake...But i'll ask anyway

the one on this link

http://www.drwebdesign.com/mymaxima/upperintake.html

would it be just as good as the ones u can buy?
has anyone made there own and dyno it?

thanks
-Chri§
Old 07-27-2002, 05:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I wanna know to any one have an opionion or dyno or something????

Chris
Old 07-27-2002, 05:38 PM

One more thing

oh yeah , if anyone can explane the diffrence between Hybrid intake and Frankencar intake please do
Old 07-27-2002, 05:44 PM

Its basically a hybrid intake. I know plenty of peope who have done this and have had good results. I would go to a performance shop, not a rice shop, but a place that you see plenty of american iron infront of, and go in and get a 3in reducer coupler. This will help the flow of air into your Throttle Body. But that is a 15 dollar Frankencar intake that you are looking at.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by SLC I30t
Its basically a hybrid intake. I know plenty of peope who have done this and have had good results. I would go to a performance shop, not a rice shop, but a place that you see plenty of american iron infront of, and go in and get a 3in reducer coupler. This will help the flow of air into your Throttle Body. But that is a 15 dollar Frankencar intake that you are looking at.
Is there any place on the internet i can buy one.. and one more question, is all Hybrid intake is , is that piping, wouldent Weapon R intakes be not so bad since they have that tub peace too..?
Old 07-27-2002, 07:09 PM

ummm?

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE

Is there any place on the internet i can buy one.. and one more question, is all Hybrid intake is , is that piping, wouldent Weapon R intakes be not so bad since they have that tub peace too..?
Well a hybrid is a term used when the black box and accordian (stock stuff) are removed and some sort of tube is used in its place. I would email Bruce- chessieone@yahoo.com

He can get you one.

I'm not sure of the price, but tell him Louie sent you.
Old 07-27-2002, 07:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It will probably work just as good except that accordian flex section might be more restrictive than the smooth reducing clamp that you can get with the upper tube. Also if you buy an upper tube it has a slight bend in it so you do not have to flex the coupler.

I think it would take the better part of a day to round up all the parts and build this. For $50 or so an upper intake tube would look a lot better, but some people enjoy building stuff themselves so .
Old 07-28-2002, 08:44 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

OK, I have this DIY $15 metal upper piping.

From what I have seen it is exactly like the ones you can buy. I have the metal tube running all the way to my Throttle boby. I cut a slight angle at the end of the tube to give me the correct line. If it comes straight off the TB your battery will be in the way. The accordian section is just used as a connecting piece. The metal tube goes all the way inside of the accordian part. You know what I mean?
So I have a solid metal tube from my TB to my MAF. That is exactly what the $50 upper piping does.

Is there a difference between my set up and the stock resonator box with the cone? Well, a little increase in sound and little increase in low end.

I would do it just for the looks even if it made no performace/sound difference. You can paint the tube what ever color you want. Mine is black.

The only part that was a problem was drilling the holes and getting a nice fit for the valve connections. But that was still not a big deal. Silicone, a healthy amount, also helps to make a good seal on the drilled holes.
My connections have loosend a bit, nothing serious, since I did this a month ago, I may go back and secure them with JB weld.

I took pics of it but have been to lazy to go to my friends house who has a scanner. What I need is a dgital camera.

All in all I like my set up a lot, especially for the $$$ I spent.