4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oh my God, My car is so slow!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 08:47 PM

Oh my God, My car is so slow!

Well, I finally ran my car in the 1/4. I was at the NOPI Race Wars down in Reynolds GA and I decided to run the car in the open class. Basically I was kind of embarassed. A total of 3 runs were made, I drove the first one and my brother the next two.

First time, my car did 15.367 @91.4 This would be a great time for an auto max if I weren't running the SC with a 3.33 pulley.

Second run was 15.360 @90.4 and the final run was 15.69 @84.4 I think in that final run, the car would have done much better, but my brother kept bouncing off the rev limiter and backing off and then he put the car in neutral while manually shifting before he crossed the line which is why the trap is so low, he basically coasted across the line.

My car weighed in at 3250 without me in it and a little less than a quarter tank of gas. My car has been running really bad lately, I just got a CEL for the knock sensor last night and one for "left bank lean" so I'm not sure what's going on. Also, the car was kind of missing at idle today which I'm hoping is just the heat. It was 95 degrees out, and on track, it was averaging about 135 degrees.

The only upside to this whole thing was that my car beat the other guy in each run. I ran against a Chevy truck, and Eclipse GT, and a Mustang GT. My brother told me that when he hit the rev limiter, the passenger in the Mustang looked over and started laughing because he started pulling away. Then my car started pulling again and put about 3 car lengths on him before the end.

Hopefully when I get my car healthy again and the NOS back in, I'll redeem myself.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:53 PM

Wow those are some kind of slow runs for a supercharged max, 15.6 Think it all has to do with the knock sensor? Shouldn't the car be in the 14's? Oh well I still think your car is tight.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by ReichMax97
Wow those are some kind of slow runs for a supercharged max, 15.6 Think it all has to do with the knock sensor? Shouldn't the car be in the 14's? Oh well I still think your car is tight.

Hm...possible bad spark plugs, or dirty fuel injectors...
Old 07-27-2002, 09:00 PM

It should be well into the 14's. On the 15.6 run, note the 84.4 trap speed. That was after backing off the throttle half track because too much wheelspin was causing the car to bounce off the rev limiter, and then he accidentally shifted the car into neutral around the 1000 foot mark.
Originally posted by ReichMax97
Old 07-27-2002, 09:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I know exactly how you feel. I ran my car last night and couldn't break into the 14's. I'm hoping it's just the heat. But either way it sucks.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow that sucks Shadow! You think the temp was the main problem? You should also probably check your plugs and filters. That is really terrible but if you beat a Mustang GT your car must have been running well, right?
-Cyrus
Old 07-27-2002, 09:04 PM

Another thing, I was running on 19" wheels at 42 psi. I never took it down because I didn't have any way to get the tires back up to normal pressure afterwards.

And my 60 ft. times were around the 2.5 range, my lowest was 2.460 and the highest was like 2.55 or something. The anouncer was even making fun of the car during the run against the mustang. It looked like 2 80 year olds taking off from a traffic light.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:09 PM

I think the temp was pretty bad, but all of the big boys were running their usual times, so who knows. I'm about to start tuning up and checking everything.

BTW, the Mustang GT ran a 16.226 or something like that so it wasn't really all that impressive.

I did have the fastest 4 dr. there, but that's not saying much since all the other sedans were Hondas running low 17's.

Originally posted by Vyrus
Wow that sucks Shadow! You think the temp was the main problem? You should also probably check your plugs and filters. That is really terrible but if you beat a Mustang GT your car must have been running well, right?
-Cyrus
Old 07-27-2002, 09:10 PM

Something is definitely not right. You should be well into the 14s like you said. Don't you have Don's VB? I asked because you said your brother manually shifted? Shouldn't have to manually shift it if you have the VB upgrade.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:12 PM

man that sucks!!
i hope u figure out wats wrong with ur car.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:20 PM

I do have the VB mod. The problem is that the car shifts itself at about 6100 if you leave it in drive. When you manually shift, it pulls noticably harder, the problem is that it's hard not to bounce off the rev limiter because the rpm's are climbing so fast.

Originally posted by Cumalot
Something is definitely not right. You should be well into the 14s like you said. Don't you have Don's VB? I asked because you said your brother manually shifted? Shouldn't have to manually shift it if you have the VB upgrade.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:23 PM

Maybe you have the same mystery problems I've been having.

My car has been idling bad all week.....only once in awhile.

I also was getting the "Left Bank Lean" error, until I turned up the richness on the Cartech FMU.

Never sacrifice safety for speed, I figured, so I'm running rich until I can get my boost problem fixed and get on the Dyno's A/F sensor again.

Anyway, good luck. If you find the problem, let me know, because we apper to share some of the same symptoms.

Any idea what your vacuum pressure is at?

IanS
Old 07-27-2002, 09:23 PM

I'm hoping that it's just the knock sensor that's causing all of this. I got the CEL last night and the codes were for the knock sensor and left bank lean. So if it's just that, then I can fix the KS. Not sure why on earth it would read left bank lean. I'm running the 8:1 disc in the FMU, and that should be more than enough for the 3.33 pulley I'm running.

The plugs were checked last night and they were fine. At least if it's just the KS, then replacing that would solve the problems. I'm running the car again in a couple of weeks after I fix some things so hopefully by then it will be running right.

Originally posted by MaximaPower
man that sucks!!
i hope u figure out wats wrong with ur car.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:26 PM

The weird part is that my car used to run rich. After running the car hard, you could smell the unburned fuel from the exhaust. I thought about going back to the 6:1 disc. But after the car sat idle for like 5 weeks, the problems began.

This is the first time I've gotten the left bank lean part, I used to get codes for cylinder 5 and 6 misfires.

Originally posted by iansw
Maybe you have the same mystery problems I've been having.

My car has been idling bad all week.....only once in awhile.

I also was getting the "Left Bank Lean" error, until I turned up the richness on the Cartech FMU.

Never sacrifice safety for speed, I figured, so I'm running rich until I can get my boost problem fixed and get on the Dyno's A/F sensor again.

Anyway, good luck. If you find the problem, let me know, because we apper to share some of the same symptoms.

Any idea what your vacuum pressure is at?

IanS
Old 07-27-2002, 09:27 PM

Hmmmmmm.

I'm still missing 2-3 PSI of boost, and I'm pretty sure a KS wouldn't do that.

I spent another 3 hours today looking at it, but didn't really do much, because there's nothing left to check.

IanS
Old 07-27-2002, 09:34 PM

Missing that much boost is weird. Is a belt slipping or something? If there's no boost leak, maybe the blower is messed up.

I just realized that my slowness may be due to my BOV, at least partially anyways. Afterwards, I noticed that the BOV was set really loosely and the car was leaking a ton of boost at idle from it.

Originally posted by iansw
Hmmmmmm.

I'm still missing 2-3 PSI of boost, and I'm pretty sure a KS wouldn't do that.

I spent another 3 hours today looking at it, but didn't really do much, because there's nothing left to check.

IanS
Old 07-27-2002, 09:50 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

It takes awhile to work out all the kinks. The first time out with my 100shot I ran 15 flat with the car misfiring all the way down the track. The whole time I'm hoping to break into the 13s. Now, no more misfire, hitting the nitrous 3K rpm, and upped the jets to 125shot. I think I'm ready to take her to the track again. My goal with this car is to make 250FWHP and 280FWTQ and run mid 13s.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:55 PM

I was at silver dollar raceway and saw some of your runs there mister shadow...
I was sad to see that you were the only one out there, and knowing you had a supercharger and running a 15.69 was terrible, I got ragged by my friends since I'm always talking the max up..Yeah I hope its as simple as your ks, be careful left bank lean you may be pulling a brian v and putting a new engine in soon.

Oh and the comment about you being the fastest foor door. Uh...I do believe I saw several wrx's one that ran a 13.xx. My friend ran his stock wrx and got a 14.9...
That was my first time at that track, decent place just to dang far away from atlanta metro area if you ask me.
As much as I would love to stay up and type up about some cool races, I wont....to many...
Old 07-27-2002, 10:00 PM

I forgot about those WRX's. They kept running after me, so I never saw their times.

Originally posted by infinitiblast
I was at silver dollar raceway and saw some of your runs there mister shadow...
I was sad to see that you were the only one out there, and knowing you had a supercharger and running a 15.69 was terrible, I got ragged by my friends since I'm always talking the max up..Yeah I hope its as simple as your ks, be careful left bank lean you may be pulling a brian v and putting a new engine in soon.

Oh and the comment about you being the fastest foor door. Uh...I do believe I saw several wrx's one that ran a 13.xx. My friend ran his stock wrx and got a 14.9...
That was my first time at that track, decent place just to dang far away from atlanta metro area if you ask me.
As much as I would love to stay up and type up about some cool races, I wont....to many...
Old 07-27-2002, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Shadow
Missing that much boost is weird. Is a belt slipping or something? If there's no boost leak, maybe the blower is messed up.

I just realized that my slowness may be due to my BOV, at least partially anyways. Afterwards, I noticed that the BOV was set really loosely and the car was leaking a ton of boost at idle from it.

I wish it was as easy as a belt slipping.....

You know the whole story...mechanic after mechanic after mechanic has looked at it, I've reset every connection, checked my vacuum over and over again, pulled the whole exhaust apart checking for clogs.

Closed the BOV off, tightened the belts, loosened the belts, and then tightened them again, removed the plenums and re-attached them, put gasket sealer everywhere.

All new fluids, plugs, and filters were installed when the SC went in...NGK 1 step colder Plats....gapped appropriately.

etc, etc, etc, etc.

It is possible Loren sold me a bad blower unwittingly, as he blew his engine before selling it, and may have done some damage. I have spoken with Vortech and gone through some troubleshootng....the blower APPEARS to be fine, according to them....

Anyway, this thread is about you, not me....

I hope it's just the KS for you.

IanS
Old 07-27-2002, 10:05 PM

Jeff hope you get your problems solved and new and improved numbers, can't wait to see your numbers too 1max2nv
Old 07-27-2002, 10:07 PM
Ramius83

Shadow, you need to also look into your 02 Sensors in your y-pipe. If they start to go on you, they will also cause your knock sensor CEL to go off. I have pulled those same exact codes, and after replacing the knock sensor and the 02 sensors, all codes are clear and it pulls so so so hard now, no more drastic lag.

Old 07-27-2002, 10:38 PM

Just to clarify some things about that terrible 15.6 run. I was busy watching the Anderson Audio Supra destroy an RX7 in front me so I was kind of distracted. I didn't even notice that the other guy had already staged and was ready to go. Since the car wasn't getting full boost shifting at 6100, I had dropped the car down into 1st and left it there planning to shift at redline.

I look up and after trying to hold the car still w/a 1500rpm power brake and the light was already green. After spinning through most of 1st, I pulled a couple carlengths on the Mustang and thought the car was pulling a lot harder before hitting the rev limiter b/c I forgot to shift in my confusion. I looked down, slammed the car up a gear and immediately pulled past him like he wasn't moving. It was some consolation seeing him laughing at first when he thought he had me and then me putting 3 carlengths in 2nd.

Unfortunately I thought I had only put the car into 2nd gear so around the 1000ft mark I shifted up only to hear the car rev up and blowoff valve as the car slowed down like I had blown up something. By the time I figured out I had put the car into neutral I had rolled through the traps and he passed me after that.

Yeah, today was embarassing but I still beat the Mustang even having let off after 1000ft and missing a shift. I probably could have gotten a 14.9 with another run shifting manually.
Old 07-27-2002, 10:52 PM
Ramius83

Shadow, you shouldn't manually shift. Talk to Jaime (JaimeCBR200) or something like that. We have proven dyno and track runs with manually shifting versus letting the Auto ECU with over-drive off handle it.

Old 07-27-2002, 11:17 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

holy hell

how????????

did you wait 2 seconds to take off?

nah, but seriously...
i'd get that looked at. sorry to hear man..
Old 07-27-2002, 11:28 PM

whatever time you ran, you still looked pimp drivin the best lookin max out there !! hope you get it worked out... my 14.2 car was only able to pull a mere 15.0 at the track a couple weeks ago, but I have a KS code too, new one coming in this week!! and heat must play afactor, being 90ish out doesnt help,

goodluck! and remember at the end of the day, a mustang might be faster (not the one you raced) but your ride looks waaaay better
Old 07-27-2002, 11:42 PM

Could a fuel filter or a pcv valve slow me down. I'm doing a tunup and changed everything except that. I changed my air filter, spark plugs, coils, knock sensor, throttle body cleaning, breaks, tires, etc... I raced a 97 Celica not sure what model today and till about 20 mph we were somewhat even then I just left him by around 10 car lengths. However, I'm not sure why the car lagged. I need to go down to the track.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:10 AM

My RT was pretty bad, like .961 or something, but it was the first time I've ever taken the car to a track. My launch just really, really sucked. I saw a video my brother took, and it looks like I'm liesurely taking off from a light even though it's a full throttle launch. The 19"s were killing my launch. The car was bogging off the line, but once the revs were up, the car was fast. I just need more practice.

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
holy hell

how????????

did you wait 2 seconds to take off?

nah, but seriously...
i'd get that looked at. sorry to hear man..
Old 07-28-2002, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by Ramius83
Shadow, you need to also look into your 02 Sensors in your y-pipe. If they start to go on you, they will also cause your knock sensor CEL to go off. I have pulled those same exact codes, and after replacing the knock sensor and the 02 sensors, all codes are clear and it pulls so so so hard now, no more drastic lag.
i think Ramius is right. check your 02 sensors. my CEL came on and i got 3 errors: KS, right front bank and left front bank. toolrocks and i changed the KS but the CEL stayed on and i still get the other two errors. i was hoping the same thing that fixing the KS would solve my all the errors...since it didn't guess this means I have to get the 02 sensors replaced.

ramius, did you change the KS and 02 sensors all at the same time?
Old 07-28-2002, 09:11 PM

Is there any way to check the O2 sensors? Or should I just replace them? My car has been running very rich for quite some time now, since I got the blower in, so I wouldn't be surprised if the O2 sensors were going.

But what could be causing my car to slightly stumble at idle. It's not a rough idle, it just feels like the engine is missing.

Originally posted by j_bryan

i think Ramius is right. check your 02 sensors. my CEL came on and i got 3 errors: KS, right front bank and left front bank. toolrocks and i changed the KS but the CEL stayed on and i still get the other two errors. i was hoping the same thing that fixing the KS would solve my all the errors...since it didn't guess this means I have to get the 02 sensors replaced.

ramius, did you change the KS and 02 sensors all at the same time?
Old 07-28-2002, 09:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

imho, you should probably do all the basic stuff first. change the fuel filter, pcv valve, clean throttle body, etc. then, go from there. my car's been running way off lately too, but i think it's due to a clogged egr system. in fact i'm positive it is due to my last cel. anyways, another BIG help would be getting rid of those 19's! just going from my 17" chrome enkei's i had and putting 15" stockers back on, i chopped .2 sec off of my 1/8th time alone (we only have 1/8 track here). if you have decent mileage on your car, i'd do about all the maintainance you could do at once, and then do diagnostics. good luck!