4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ground control problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 07:59 PM

ground control problems

I just installed ground controls yesterday, and I am hearing these horrible sounds on every corner on the car front and back. And every time I make a turn slowly it makes this springy sound like my darn spring is going to fly off. Now let me tell about my situation. I bought these coilovers off the board, and he only gave me two top mounts and two bump stops. The people who I had install them arent to familar with the set up of are cars, hes only worked on get ready for this Honduhs!! Sorry I have two more ?'s 1 how hard is it to raise and lower it my self 2 how long after the install should I upgrade to better struts( tokico, kyb's, konis etc ) Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Brandon
Old 07-28-2002, 09:00 PM
SLOW

To save yourself the headache of taking your suspension apart again you should have installed aftermarket struts at the same time. Your stock shocks will be blown in no time with the GCs.

The noise you are hearing from the front is from bad or non-existent strut mount bearings. These bearings are shaped like a flattened donut, black on the bottom and gray on the top. Did you reinstall these?
Old 07-30-2002, 09:03 AM

Nealoc187- I dont know if he did or not, do you have any pics of what one might look like so Ican go and look in the parts that came off my car. He gave me all the parts that he didnt install when he put the coilovers on. So if they are not on I would have it. And for the back part, if the bump stops were their would the noise in the back be no more.

Thanks for your help
Brandon
Old 07-30-2002, 12:32 PM
SLOW

No I don't have any pictures of them but the bearing is about 1.5-2" in diameter, and about 1/4 inch thick. The hole in the middle is about 3/4 inch diameter. It is plastic, black on bottom and gray on top. The bottom and top parts swivel (silicone grease in between the 2 halves sandwiched together). Its possible when whoever did the install lowered the car back onto the ground that the bearings were not seated correctly and got destroyed (i.e. torn up because they were not able to swivel properly) or that they simply were not installed at all.

Bumpstops shouldn't do anything to affect noise in the rear, they just keep your strut body from metal on metal contact w/ the strut mount. Perhaps new rear strut mounts are needed, or the rubber bushings that go in the strut mount assembly need to be replaced. Its also possible that the some or all of the bolts are not torqued down correctly. I remember when I first installed my GCs that the rear made lots of creaking and clunking noises... I don't notice it anymore. Honestly I'm not sure if the noise is just gone or if I am used to it. I will listen for noises tonight when I drive and post up.

One other thing to check in the rear for noise is the black metal bars that control holding the trunk lid up. There should be a plastic piece that the 2 bars snap into, and it holds them in place. If one of the bars has come out of this plastic holder, it can bang around and make noise. Since your suspension is so stiff now with GCs, the bouncing may not have been enough to bang the bars around before, but they may be banging now. Also check that your spare, jack, etc are all bolted down securely in your trunk. They might be clanging around too.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:06 PM

I really appreciate your help. My spare and all that is already out, so we can eliminate that. And tomorrow I will check for those bearings cause i have to work, i will get back tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:23 PM

bump, just trying to keep the thread open for suggestions