4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Attn: Wsp

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 08:48 AM

Attn: Wsp

I was wondering, why doesn't WSP offer a non-mandrel Y-pipe in SS?

Also, when is the 4th gen cat back going to be ready?

RL
Old 07-29-2002, 08:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Attn: Wsp

Originally posted by Vesaijan

RL
Why would you want a non-mandrel bent Y-pipe?
Old 07-29-2002, 09:11 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Re: Attn: Wsp

Originally posted by tmkforever

Why would you want a non-mandrel bent Y-pipe?
Cheaper, and only offer 1 less HP.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Attn: Wsp

Originally posted by mzmtg

Cheaper, and only offer 1 less HP.
Fair enough.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:08 AM

Re: Attn: Wsp

RL

wsp doesnt offer one cause it will just make things for them more expensive. besides, for the people that opt for stainless steel.........they usually want the best..........for those on a budget they'd get the mandrel bent aluminized steeel(which is still very good, 4 year no rust warranty - its the way to go)
Old 07-29-2002, 11:46 AM

Re: Re: Attn: Wsp

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

wsp doesnt offer one cause it will just make things for them more expensive. besides, for the people that opt for stainless steel.........they usually want the best..........for those on a budget they'd get the mandrel bent aluminized steeel(which is still very good, 4 year no rust warranty - its the way to go)
I was actually thinking about buying the non mandrel aluminum.

Anybody know just how long Al-steel holds up in northern areas (in other words, places that get snow and salt).

RL
Old 07-29-2002, 04:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Attn: Wsp

I was actually thinking about buying the non mandrel aluminum.

Anybody know just how long Al-steel holds up in northern areas (in other words, places that get snow and salt).

RL
Well WarpSpeed offers the same four year no rust through warranty on both pipes.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Attn: Wsp

Originally posted by dlee275

Well WarpSpeed offers the same four year no rust through warranty on both pipes.
Thanks for replying. Maybe I should rephrase my question;

Does anyone who has some sort of AL-steel piping, who also lives in colder and snowier climates with salted roads, have any experience with their Al-steel pipes corroding, and if so, how long did it take?

RL
Old 07-29-2002, 07:43 PM

Aluminized y-pipe

I replaced my whole exhaust system in the summer of 2000. It was the original factory system. She was rusty, but still did not leak. My Max has spent her whole life here in Minnesota, the salt capitol of the world. Our sytems will probably out last your car.

Dan WSP
Old 07-29-2002, 07:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so, other than show finish, is there any reason not to get the aluminized pipe if you want mandrel bent?
Old 07-29-2002, 08:02 PM

WSP Y-pipe

Dallas and I have pretty much said from the beginning that a 304 SS y-pipe is not really needed. Your aluminized pipe will most likely out last longer than you want to keep the car. Save your money for other mods.

Dan WSP
Old 07-29-2002, 09:26 PM

Re: WSP Y-pipe

he doesnt try to push the more expensive piece. how up front! buy from wsp !!
Originally posted by Dan 93 SE
Dallas and I have pretty much said from the beginning that a 304 SS y-pipe is not really needed. Your aluminized pipe will most likely out last longer than you want to keep the car. Save your money for other mods.

Dan WSP
:
Old 07-29-2002, 09:41 PM

yeah, wsp seems great, i just pray for no 'bees in a can', i should be ordering in the next couple months, but i have a lot of other things i want to do (read: competition SQ stereo) and i want to do my whole exhaust (wsp aluminized y-pipe, car sound cat, apexi cat-back, and while that is out i am going to install a pacesetter sts, so i have to get a new shift boot and ****.... etc...) and i want to do suspension (sprint, agx) so i dont know what to do first...
Old 07-30-2002, 06:29 AM

Dan WSP
Hey Dan, thanks for replying. I've got another question now. This is about the new metal substrate catalytic converters. I've read faqs from manufactures of this substrate, but I want to know this:

With lower thermal resistance, will a metal substrate cat run hotter and if as follows out perform a ceramic cat in terms of breaking down noxious vapors in the exhaust?

I have this crazy notion that decreased thermal resistance=increased operating temperature=increased catalyst activity=increased frequency of chemical reaction.

Also, how much more flow (HP) can be expected from this modification?

RL
Old 07-30-2002, 06:30 AM

Re: Re: WSP Y-pipe

One more thing; if as follows, we would be able to run a y-pipe and pass emissions by more than a narrow margin.

RL
Old 07-30-2002, 06:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: WSP Y-pipe

One more thing; if as follows, we would be able to run a y-pipe and pass emissions by more than a narrow margin.

RL
Yes. I've had my stock pipe, warpspeed pipe, and cattman pipe all during inspection and they all passed. I live in PA, right outside of philly and we have a strict emissions level. Not sure if where you live it's the same or worse?
Old 07-30-2002, 06:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: WSP Y-pipe

Originally posted by breaux124

Yes. I've had my stock pipe, warpspeed pipe, and cattman pipe all during inspection and they all passed. I live in PA, right outside of philly and we have a strict emissions level. Not sure if where you live it's the same or worse?
It's not really the ability to pass that concerns me. It's more about know for SURE that I will pass, and maybe even with flying colors...sick huh?

RL
Old 07-30-2002, 07:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WSP Y-pipe

It's not really the ability to pass that concerns me. It's more about know for SURE that I will pass, and maybe even with flying colors...sick huh?

RL
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=106480
and
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=119817
Old 07-30-2002, 08:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WSP Y-pipe

OK, that about answers one of my questions. Now I want to know what kind of gains can be had from a metal substrate cat vs high flow ceramic?

Any of the ORG's engineers are welcome to jump on this one at anytime.

RL
Old 07-30-2002, 03:13 PM
living out of a maxima...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WSP Y-pipe

OK, that about answers one of my questions. Now I want to know what kind of gains can be had from a metal substrate cat vs high flow ceramic?

Any of the ORG's engineers are welcome to jump on this one at anytime.

RL
Not too sure, but if any free-flow cat only offers 2-3 hp over stock than this one can't make that big of a difference. Maybe noticible if SC/turbo.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:10 PM

Just to answer a few questions:
We have never offered a non mandrel bent stainless Y pipe because we did not feel it would be a value. For less money you could buy one of our aluminized steel Y pipes and it would and will outperform the non mandrel bent stainless every time.

The metallic substrate converter is showing flow rates about 15-20% better than the ceramic substrate, we flow tested the CarSound, Catco and Random in 2-1/2" versions vs the metallic. Because of the way the metallic is constructed you can visibally see why it flows better, there is clearly more light visible because it is sort of wound in a coil around itself. The metal between the honeycomb looking stainless is only .002" thick vs the .009-.012" for the ceramics.

We will have pictures shortly to show how they differ. We will be dynoing to test on several vehicles now that there is a local dyno here. These are EPA approved.

We have been working with the manufacturer for about 9 months on these MS converters. They are used primarily now on the high poriced high performance European cars. We have been told that the ceramics are slowly being phased out because the metallic light off quicker and are not subject to the loose bricks like the ceramics. The melt down temp is basically the same as the ceramics.

So far I have only heard of one person with an aftermarket ceramic substrate converter (we sold) not passing emissions while equipped with an aftermarket Y pipe. There may be more but only one was brought to my attention.

We have been working on the jigs for adding a center inlet muffler to our B pipes for the 4th gen. So far we are doing them in 2-1/4" but we are bending the 2-1/2" late this week. This week we have a 2002 Maxima sitting in the shop and are fitting some mufflers and our 2-1/2" B pipe as well as checking the fit of our 2002 Y pipes.

Dallas
Old 07-30-2002, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by bmfjeep
We have been working on the jigs for adding a center inlet muffler to our B pipes for the 4th gen. So far we are doing them in 2-1/4" but we are bending the 2-1/2" late this week. This week we have a 2002 Maxima sitting in the shop and are fitting some mufflers and our 2-1/2" B pipe as well as checking the fit of our 2002 Y pipes.

Dallas
Side topic:

I know you have an "S" pipe fix. But do you sell a B-pipe with the "S" piece already welded on? Or do I have to buy a B-pipe and an S-pipe for my 97?

I want to replace my "S" and B-pipe and keep my stock muffler.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:58 PM
Maxima06071

so whats the big differencees among the y-pipes, performance wise?
the TIG Welded or the MIG Welded one, I live in the south and am currently unemployed so which would be the better choice what about the $175 dollar one? Is it a piece? or will it suit my needs?
confused and poor,
Jeff Catt

Old 07-30-2002, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Maxima06071
so whats the big differencees among the y-pipes, performance wise?
the TIG Welded or the MIG Welded one, I live in the south and am currently unemployed so which would be the better choice what about the $175 dollar one? Is it a piece? or will it suit my needs?
confused and poor,
Jeff Catt
Well down south you shouldn't need SS, so Aluminized Steel is fine. And you have a 5th gen, I'm not even sure if Budget makes a 5th gen Y-pipe.

Performance wise, mandrel bent is better. But how much better, I don't know of anyone doing a dyno of mandrel vs non-mandrel (maybe search?)
Old 07-30-2002, 06:16 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Originally posted by bmfjeep
Just to answer a few questions:
We have never offered a non mandrel bent stainless Y pipe because we did not feel it would be a value. For less money you could buy one of our aluminized steel Y pipes and it would and will outperform the non mandrel bent stainless every time.

The metallic substrate converter is showing flow rates about 15-20% better than the ceramic substrate, we flow tested the CarSound, Catco and Random in 2-1/2" versions vs the metallic. Because of the way the metallic is constructed you can visibally see why it flows better, there is clearly more light visible because it is sort of wound in a coil around itself. The metal between the honeycomb looking stainless is only .002" thick vs the .009-.012" for the ceramics.

We will have pictures shortly to show how they differ. We will be dynoing to test on several vehicles now that there is a local dyno here. These are EPA approved.

We have been working with the manufacturer for about 9 months on these MS converters. They are used primarily now on the high poriced high performance European cars. We have been told that the ceramics are slowly being phased out because the metallic light off quicker and are not subject to the loose bricks like the ceramics. The melt down temp is basically the same as the ceramics.

So far I have only heard of one person with an aftermarket ceramic substrate converter (we sold) not passing emissions while equipped with an aftermarket Y pipe. There may be more but only one was brought to my attention.

Dallas
Don't forget about the radial arms...ppppppppplease.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:33 PM

Dan WSP
So there is much difference between the cheaper aluminized and the more expensive pipes.