4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Getting "bees in can" noise from new Budget Y-pipe!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 09:06 AM

Getting "bees in can" noise from new Budget Y-pipe!!!!

Is there anyway to fix this? I can only hear it inside the car at low rpm's when I first start going, but today I left the car in neutral and got out of the car while it was running, and I could hear it clearly at idle from outside the car. Is there any way to fix this without having to get a new pipe?
Old 07-29-2002, 09:09 AM

i am purchasing a budget y-pipe soon as well. but the reason it taking me so long is because im afraid that i will also get the bees in a can sound
Old 07-29-2002, 09:22 AM

no i had budget for a while and trust me its worth it instead of paying 200+ for non SS
Old 07-29-2002, 09:37 AM

Is anyone else running a Budget Y getting this sound? I heard it comes from the mesh part and that there was a way to fix this but nobody posted how.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:09 AM

I have a whooshing/ buzzing sound at lower rpm's with my budget y..I also have minor vibrations when in reverse....The noises arent real bad and the high end gains make up for it.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Try taking header wrap and wrap it around the mesh of the flex section twice. This has been discussed a million times...try using the search for more info.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:37 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I think the pre-mandrel Budget pipes did not have the flex section noise whereas the new mandrel-bent pipes do. This is of course based on what I've read in the org. Most of the ones that have the noise are recent buyers whereas the ones without the noise have their pipes for quite some time.

During the last GD they announced that they will ship out mandrel bent pipes instead of the non mandrel bent pipes and want to gauge the response of the new pipes. I bought my mandrel Budget Y-pipe during the last group deal. I bought it based on past owner's praise on recommendation on the pipe.

Well mine has that annoying noise. More like a vintage VW beetle noise most of the time. If i WOT around 75-80mph in 5th gear the noise then sounds like Bees-in-a-can. You know there's a problem when the guy in a beat up early 90s Hyundai Excel looks over and makes a comment on the obnoxious noise

I have to spend an extra $80 or so (new lined flex joint + shipping, installation,) to fix this noise. This plus the $165 GD price will make my Budget pipe into a $245+ Y-pipe . I wish I bought a Warpspeed y-pipe in the first place instead of wasting time and money to correct the problem.

Oh yeah, the pipe collector and ALL the welds on my supposed "Stainless steel" pipe are mild steel, NOT stainless. This is a bit more mild steel than "just the flanges". Makes you wonder why you can't buy an unpainted pipe .

The best thing to do is replace the unlined flex section with a lined one from Warpspeed or any other place that may carry a 2.5inch lined stainless steel flex section.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:50 PM

So your sending your Budget pipe to Warpspeed to get fixed? Maybe I'll have to try that. I wonder if all the new pipes sound like this or if we just got unlucky
Old 07-29-2002, 02:57 PM

hmm i seem to be the only person who doesn't mind this sound. Personally i get a deep bass sound around 2500-3800 rpms, which semi cancels out the can-ish sound... then above 3800 rpms, i can hear the sound, but i think it just gives the car a louder sound (since exhaust is stock) personally i don't mind the sound. It's once my pipes are hot, that i hear a bad bad bad squeeking sound from my car.
anybump i hit i hear a eeek type sound. I'm thinking it's cause the budget pipe only has one hangar instead of 2 like on the oem Y.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:54 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by JR_Anders
So your sending your Budget pipe to Warpspeed to get fixed? Maybe I'll have to try that. I wonder if all the new pipes sound like this or if we just got unlucky
No, I'm in the process of obtaining a flex joint to have it installed locally. Since the Budget pipe is causing the exhaust system to lean more to the passenger side of the car (either the flange is rotationally off or the bend of the pipe aft of the flex joint is too premature), I want the flex joint installed while the Y-portion of the pipe is still on the car in hopes of correcting this problem.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:59 PM

hmmm I just got my leak fixed (oil pressure sender) and now I don't here this noise. I have no idea how it's related cuz I'm pretty sure it was from the pipe since that started happening a week and a half ago and I started leaking on Saturday???

Maybe because it's cold out tonight?
Old 07-29-2002, 10:58 PM

I've had my Budget pipe for a while now. Give it time. When I first installed it, I had the bees in a can noise. After a while it has turned into an angry hiss. Now it sounds like a turbo spooling up. It takes time to break the pipe in. You'll get the same sound from Warpspeed, no matter what they tell you.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NightRider
I've had my Budget pipe for a while now. Give it time. When I first installed it, I had the bees in a can noise. After a while it has turned into an angry hiss. Now it sounds like a turbo spooling up. It takes time to break the pipe in. You'll get the same sound from Warpspeed, no matter what they tell you.
Actually, our Y pipes are not much louder than stock.

We have been replacing flex sections on our competitors Y pipes, mainly because we have the ability to do so in-house. We have 2-1/4", 2-1/2" and 3" lined flex sections in stock. If you are having serious fitment problems we can even check the fit on our 1996.

Dallas
Old 07-30-2002, 06:01 PM

How much time did you give your pipe? I got mine installed approximately a month ago and the noise seems to be dying down but it is still there.

Old 07-30-2002, 08:42 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

And how would you know? Do you own a WSP y-pipe with a lined flex section I had the Stillen Y-pipe for two years and it made hissing and buzzing sounds plus is caused a mild vibration in the car. Last year I sold the Stillen pipe and bought a WSP non-mandrel Y-pipe with the lined flex section. No more hissing, buzzing, or vibration. Due to the thicker guage metal of the WSP pipe, the pipe makes for less engine noise too. Only when the pipe is cold (~1 minute upon start up) will the flex make a bit of a BOV sound on the 1-2 shift. On the dyno, my WSP non-mandrel pipe made more power than my Stillen mandrel pipe. I couldn't be happier with my WSP pipe.

Dave
Old 08-16-2002, 10:16 PM

Whats the website for Budget ? They offer a 5th gen y pipe ?
Old 08-17-2002, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

And how would you know? Do you own a WSP y-pipe with a lined flex section I had the Stillen Y-pipe for two years and it made hissing and buzzing sounds plus is caused a mild vibration in the car. Last year I sold the Stillen pipe and bought a WSP non-mandrel Y-pipe with the lined flex section. No more hissing, buzzing, or vibration. Due to the thicker guage metal of the WSP pipe, the pipe makes for less engine noise too. Only when the pipe is cold (~1 minute upon start up) will the flex make a bit of a BOV sound on the 1-2 shift. On the dyno, my WSP non-mandrel pipe made more power than my Stillen mandrel pipe. I couldn't be happier with my WSP pipe.

Dave
Dude, remember I worked at a Midas. I've installed y-pipes for dozens of members in DC. I've heard them all.

Chron!cRage: It actually took about a month and a half of everyday driving for it to quiet down the way it is now. The noise won't completely go away, just get less noticable. I revved it today and it was very hard to hear it under idle. When I'm moving, the only time I hear it it when I'm riding next to a Jersey Barrier. The sound hides itself within my exhaust noise.
Old 08-17-2002, 07:47 AM

Yes

and that is what I hate about it.

Originally posted by JR_Anders
Is anyone else running a Budget Y getting this sound? I heard it comes from the mesh part and that there was a way to fix this but nobody posted how.