4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

problems starting after engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 08:08 PM

problems starting after engine swap

After I got the new engine in, everything worked fine, just know I have a problem starting the car I have to hold the key so i cranks up for long time before it turns over to start. It has new injectors,new fuel filter,starter is okay and spark plugs are new oem plugs. But once is turn on it work like champ no problem, then if I turn it off and wait a few minutes It will turn on fine.

It has a 98 enigne on it with a 95 ECU I dont tink thats the problem, I'm just ready to give up I been working on it for the last 2 days. Can someone help me?

I have a code, for the Idle Air control and for the coolant temp other then that nothing.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:25 PM
MaxxThiss

re

i swaped my engine cause i blew it
new one works excellent no problems 98 on 95 ecu is there a difference just courious?

Old 08-01-2002, 01:04 AM

The coolant temp sensor can prevent the car from starting or a hard start. Check out that sensor. Otherwise, I just recently found out that if you dis-assemble your engine and tranny and don't clean the mating surfaces really good; your starter will not get a sufficient ground and will have trouble starting the car. I would check out other obvious things before that but, that's what was wrong w/ my car. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:35 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It sounds like your fuel system is losing pressure after your car sits. Try this. Turn to key to on, wait 5 seconds, your fuel pump will start (humm from the rear) then crank. If it starts up immediately, you've found your problem. I believe there is a check valve that holds pressure in your fuel system after the car is shut off. That valve is part of the fuel pump in the gas tank.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:11 AM
VR6Jim

In 96 the law changed with regards to on board disgonsitics on cars (OBD). Anything 95 and under had to have 1 O2 sensor and run on a earlier version of OBD. In 96 or 97 most manufacturers switched to the newer and imporved OBD2 setup.

I don't know exactly what year the Max went OBD2 because they could do it prior to 96 which is possible however there is a possibility your running an OBD1 computer on an OBD2 car. What I would recommend you do is find somebody with a 97 or 98 and try their ECU out. I have a feeling it might just cure your problems. Been there done that with H22 and B18 swaps I have helped guys with, except we went back to OBD1 in a 1999 Prelude with a jacksons.

Old 08-01-2002, 09:38 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by VR6Jim
In 96 the law changed with regards to on board disgonsitics on cars (OBD). Anything 95 and under had to have 1 O2 sensor and run on a earlier version of OBD. In 96 or 97 most manufacturers switched to the newer and imporved OBD2 setup.

I don't know exactly what year the Max went OBD2 because they could do it prior to 96 which is possible however there is a possibility your running an OBD1 computer on an OBD2 car. What I would recommend you do is find somebody with a 97 or 98 and try their ECU out. I have a feeling it might just cure your problems. Been there done that with H22 and B18 swaps I have helped guys with, except we went back to OBD1 in a 1999 Prelude with a jacksons.

96+ obd2
Old 08-01-2002, 10:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: problems starting after engine swap

Originally posted by MigthyMax
After I got the new engine in, everything worked fine, just know I have a problem starting the car I have to hold the key so i cranks up for long time before it turns over to start. It has new injectors,new fuel filter,starter is okay and spark plugs are new oem plugs. But once is turn on it work like champ no problem, then if I turn it off and wait a few minutes It will turn on fine.

It has a 98 enigne on it with a 95 ECU I dont tink thats the problem, I'm just ready to give up I been working on it for the last 2 days. Can someone help me?

I have a code, for the Idle Air control and for the coolant temp other then that nothing.

I have this same freakin problem. I am very worried too. I have a 1988 nissan Maxima that had an engine rebuild due to the Tensioner Disentegrating and well you know. Anyway I have this same problem. Everytime for the first crank of the day it takes a long time to start up. But the start after that its perfectly fine. I even let the system charge or ( wait 5 seconds) and that didnt help when I tried that the next morning. It seems to only happen when the car is completely cold. And then the engine has to like boost itself up to run right. But when I turn it off and then turn it on after that its fine. cranked fine and healthy and runs great. Please Enlighten us both.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by VR6Jim

The max went OBDII in 97. But he should be able to use a 98 engine no problem. It has all the same sensors, Including the three 02s.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:02 PM

Well, I still dont know what the problems is, I had a code for the Idle Air sensor, I replace it with my old on that work and it went away, now I have a 0103 witch if I'm not mistaken is the Coolant temp sensor " I'm at work right now".

I dont think is a fuel leak but, I'm not ruling out yet I will go today and buy a T fitting and a presure gauge to test it.

in the morning the car cranks fine like camp, but if on the proccess I left go of the key before it has started, it wont want to start again, it will crank for a while and then it would go vroom and turn on. The same thing happens if I been driving it for a while, I'm in LA and I work in the valley so it's about a 30 min doing 85mph or soo. Them if I turn it off and try to started it it wont go I have to try it a few times.. if I let if cool off I think is fine.. the only thing to start after running for a while is to step on the gas before I crank it up.. that sounds like a fuel problems but I dont think its that? any more Ideas

Thanks guys.....

The car run like new, it should I has a new engine beside the starting problem it works like a dream
Old 08-08-2002, 09:05 AM
Custom User Title

Dont 98-99 models have totaly differenc IAC valves than the rest? This could be ur problem..