4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Lowering w/ Stock Struts .. What's the Real Danger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 01:58 PM

Lowering w/ Stock Struts .. What's the Real Danger?

I have searched this forever but keep getting contradicting opinions. I want to get sprints when i get my new rims and tires, but I won't have the cash to put agx shocks on until around christmas time. Some people say its too hard on an SE to use stock struts, but then Cyrus has been using stock shocks and struts with sprints for 6 months. What's the risk factor in driving on stock until december?
Old 08-01-2002, 02:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

Probably nothing. But you will end up doing the labor over again. It's a pain in either your wallet(to have to pay for the work again) or your butt(for having to dig out your strut assemblies out again)
Old 08-01-2002, 02:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Probably nothing. But you will end up doing the labor over again. It's a pain in either your wallet(to have to pay for the work again) or your butt(for having to dig out your strut assemblies out again)
Exactly. BTW I'm been riding on Sprints with my stock struts for over 6 months and no problems yet.
-Cyrus
Old 08-01-2002, 02:25 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Lowering springs having high spring rates to increase handling and to reduce bottoming out. Struts/shocks DO NOT support the car in any way. Struts/shocks dampen the spring movement and keep the car more controlled. Underdampened struts teamed with ultra low Sprints will = a harsh ride because the springs are doing the dampening, not the struts. Handling will be worse. The car may be bouncy, harsh, or both. The springs will overwork the OEM struts to the point where they cease working. With Sprints, this will happen very quickly. Your car won't be a death trap, but you sure won't be getting any benefits other than a lower ride.

Unless you are doing the install work yourself, you'll end up paying on two installs ($100-200 each). Remember that everytime you take a part your suspension, you're introducing the potential for incorrectly installed parts, strange noise, pops, rattles, etc.

Dave
Old 08-01-2002, 02:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I feel that the biggest DANGER is when your rear shocks blow, which will happen very quickly due to them being rather weaker then the fronts. When the rears blow and you are only on springs, the back will jump around on turns and can slide out at high speeds which almost happend to me numerous times when my rears blew on progress technology springs. If you wanna save money just at least put rear agx's on with ur springs until u can afford the fronts. Believe me, I attempted to do it with all the warnings and ended up having my rears blowing in a week, but my fronts were fine for a couple months and were fine when i switched them all out for agx's.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:40 PM

Ive had sprint springs on for ever a year, and i havent had any problems
Old 08-01-2002, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE
Ive had sprint springs on for ever a year, and i havent had any problems
On my Eibachs the rears blew in two weeks and it makes it look like your car has hydraulics. Plus AGX is seriously nice stuff
Old 08-01-2002, 04:14 PM

struts usually last about 30K miles, after that they start losing their ability to bring the car back up from a dip........adding lowering springs reduces the life span of the stock struts
Old 08-01-2002, 04:29 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

don't be cheap, wait
Old 08-01-2002, 04:34 PM

PM Mozy and ask him how his car is doing. we lowered it with stock struts a couple weeks ago.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:11 PM

Kinda OT
but what are your AGX setups?? most popular ones i heard were front:2 and rear: 4??
thanks
Old 08-01-2002, 06:55 PM

i have 2 in the fronts and 3 in the rears becuz im in flint for college and the roads suck, but at home in hilly pennsylvania i role on 3 in the front and 5 in the rear on progress springs.(note) 2/3 is an identical replica to the stock ride, but not as floaty
Old 08-01-2002, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
struts usually last about 30K miles, after that they start losing their ability to bring the car back up from a dip........adding lowering springs reduces the life span of the stock struts
Well my car just hit 30k miles, so I should probably be replacing them soon anyways (if you say yes it makes spending the $$ easier for me to justify )
Old 08-01-2002, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by DFord97

Well my car just hit 30k miles, so I should probably be replacing them soon anyways (if you say yes it makes spending the $$ easier for me to justify )
Sorry but there's no way you would have to change your stock suspension at anything less than 100k miles. I have 63k miles, and I've had the springs on for atleast 5k. I've taken it to 2 places to ask if my suspension is blown and both said it was fine.
-Cyrus
Old 08-01-2002, 07:25 PM

I have has the stock struts in my cefiro since we put in the springs...about a year now, finally updating to agx's you should be fine dont worry... If it does blow then you can buy the AGx's then
Old 08-01-2002, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
can you not comment next time? you are wrong.. im sick of the stupid responses. have you had "lowering springs" on your car, was yours lowered?? mine didnt last long at all, nor did FameMax's. struts dont limit the springs ability to rebound, they SLOW it down. with a blown strut, the car compresses and rebounds WAY to fast, making it bounce.

Have a good one
Old 08-01-2002, 08:57 PM

I put H&R's on my car about 3-4 months ago and the car rides like everyone else says..bumpy, but that's to be expected. Change 'em when you got the $$$. You should be alright until Christmas.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:46 PM

I just put the Maxspeeds on my car about 3 weeks ago. Ppl on here say it takes about a week or two for them to actually Settle to its lowered spot. I found out that was wrong, it actually takes about 6 months to get to where the point is. Im still on stock struts, and I blew my back ones 2 days after I put on the springs. I have a little rumble noise from one of the back struts but nothing Realitivly crazy. Soon when the money comes, Im gonna replace my back struts with AGX's. Then later on down the line, the front ones will eventually be changed also.

PS. The Great thing about puttin on lowering springs in the back is, No spring compressor needed. !
Old 08-02-2002, 05:53 AM

Originally posted by JetBlackMax
I just put the Maxspeeds on my car about 3 weeks ago. Ppl on here say it takes about a week or two for them to actually Settle to its lowered spot. I found out that was wrong, it actually takes about 6 months to get to where the point is. Im still on stock struts, and I blew my back ones 2 days after I put on the springs. I have a little rumble noise from one of the back struts but nothing Realitivly crazy. Soon when the money comes, Im gonna replace my back struts with AGX's. Then later on down the line, the front ones will eventually be changed also.

PS. The Great thing about puttin on lowering springs in the back is, No spring compressor needed. !
I didnt use a spring compressor at all.. i just had my friend push down a little on the front while i started the bolt... rear shocks blow pretty easy after its lowered i guess. i couldnt stand the front blown, so i ordered the replacement struts the next day. double the work, but i learned.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by JeepRage

I didnt use a spring compressor at all.. i just had my friend push down a little on the front while i started the bolt... rear shocks blow pretty easy after its lowered i guess. i couldnt stand the front blown, so i ordered the replacement struts the next day. double the work, but i learned.

there is no real danger, you will only notice it when you go on bumpy roads or hit a pothole other then that your shocks are not going to blow completely, some people are exaggerating seriously, I rode on stock shocks for a almost a year and half. Road conditions were very bad in New Orleans!!!if your doing your own installation put the sprints on you ll be good until December if not longer then that! If Vyrus has not complained then you know your good. where ever you live there is no bad roads definitely be alright. Is not like your installing Ground Controls or Weapon R coilovers put the springs on, big deal!!the only big deal will be if your not doing it yourself and you pay twice for the labor thats the only big deal...
Old 08-02-2002, 07:25 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The fronts are struts and the rears are shocks. Inherently by design, shocks don't last near as long as struts therefore struts are the first to go with lowering springs. The life of your struts and shocks depend on two things, how old the stock parts are and how low of a drop you're going. Sprints and Intrax are the lowest springs on the market and going with anything less than AGX or Koni is foolish because of the low drop and high spring rate.

Here's my experience. 3 years ago I got Suspension Techniques 1.5" drop springs. Within 5K miles my rear struts were blown. The rear end was VERY bouncy and slightly harsh. The fronts were fine. I replaced the rears with heavier duty KYB GR-2s. Upon pulling out the old shocks, I compressed the shock piston and it would barely return (ie blown). 10K miles later and my fronts were getting a little bouncy so I replaced them with Koni's. About a year later I bought Intrax because I wanted more of a drop (2" in the front, 2.2" rear). Within 2K miles, the rear of my car road extremely harsh, but it wasn't bouncy. Why? Because the utlra low drop of the rear Intrax springs had very little travel to begin with. I pulled out the GR-2s and compressed the pistons. They were completely dead because they would return at all. I replaced the rears with AGX and I've had no problems for over 15K miles.

You see, I'm not making this up. I have experience with all this stuff. I was one of the ones how didn't do the right thing the first time around. I highly doubt that OEM struts and shocks on those cars running Sprints are really in okay shape. I'd bet that most of you have just gotten used to the ride because the change is progressive, not night and day. I am certain that a Max with an adjustable sturt/shock setup will outhandle a Max on Sprints only.

Dave
Old 08-02-2002, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by JeepRage

ok bottom line people, u lower ur car u should get new shocks and struts for handling, plan and simple. Ur stock might blow they might now, but do it all at once, its much eaiser, and dont bother with a spring compressor.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by JAY25
If Vyrus has not complained then you know your good.

Actually I just looked through my old posts and I've actually had my Sprints on for 11 months (although it really doesn't feel that long), and like I said no problems. But Dave B is right, if you want the handling get the struts. I sure as hell am going to.
-Cyrus