4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Uh oh 2k2 5th geners, my Variable Lungs have arrived

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 10:17 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Uh oh 2k2 5th geners, my Variable Lungs have arrived

*thought about posting this in the 5th gen forum, but I feared an uprising*

5th geners.....prepare to get walked My wife called and informed me that my VI has arrived!!!!! All I need is some vacumm line, vacumm canister, and 30amp relay. Ummmm...can't wait to see sit in person finally. I've been talking about putting a VI on my car for well over 2 years now. 100mph trap speeds here I come.

Dave
Old 08-05-2002, 10:19 AM

Old 08-05-2002, 10:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It is time to take the day off work and go put that thing on...now! Hopefully I will be making this same post in a few weeks.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:53 AM

WOOOOHOOO !!!

Did you get the switch I sent you? Let's get that thing installed and get to the track! When are you planning to install?
Old 08-05-2002, 11:10 AM

Exxxcelent... cant wait to see the results. Too bad I'm fresh out of cash right now for more car parts. Oh wait, my 21st birthday is coming up at the end of this month... hmmmm
Old 08-05-2002, 12:08 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: WOOOOHOOO !!!

Originally posted by BSwithTF
Did you get the switch I sent you? Let's get that thing installed and get to the track! When are you planning to install?
Travis-

YES!!! I recieved the switch on Saturday. I really owe you big. Thanks again. Tonight I will try and go buy all the rest of the parts and I'll assemble VI tonight or tommorrow. I'm also going to take a lot of digital pics before I get started to reduce any install problems. I doubt until Friday night since I'll probably be in Chicago on Thursday and early Friday for work.

Which color wire on coil-plug number #1 did you tap for the rpm signal?

I plan on going to the track either next Wednesday or Friday. Unfortunately, 95+ degree temps with 110 heat induces isn't going to be helping me out much in terms of performance. Are you still coming up for the Grand Prix Meet at KCIR on the 20th of Sept? The weather should have cooled off a bit by then.

Dave
Old 08-05-2002, 12:10 PM
SLOW

Where the heck is mine then? Tracking shows its last scan in Chicago yesterday... grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:29 PM
dot dot dot ...

Mine was last scanned in San fransisco, .......Good things come to those who wait. I got my vacuum canister and 30 amp relay, all I need is the solenoid and the RPM switch, and prolly a few vacuum lines/hoses.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:34 PM

VI

Where did you get this VI, is it just one from a 2k2? Is any custom work needed or is it bolt on? and most importantly, how much did it cost?!? thanx
Old 08-05-2002, 12:39 PM

Re: VI

Originally posted by MPInfinite99GLE
Where did you get this VI, is it just one from a 2k2? Is any custom work needed or is it bolt on? and most importantly, how much did it cost?!? thanx
its the ones that are in the maximas from the middle east and other parts of the world.........not the 5th gens
Old 08-05-2002, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
Mine was last scanned in San fransisco, .......Good things come to those who wait. I got my vacuum canister and 30 amp relay, all I need is the solenoid and the RPM switch, and prolly a few vacuum lines/hoses.
Where can one purchase the MEVI? Group deal?
Old 08-05-2002, 12:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have one scanned in Customs in San Francisco and then one at the sort facility in Dallas and they both left at the same time. The mail system is whacked.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:52 PM

Re: Uh oh 2k2 5th geners, my Variable Lungs have arrived

Originally posted by Dave B

5th geners.....prepare to get walked My wife called and informed me that my VI has arrived!!!!! All I need is some vacumm line, vacumm canister, and 30amp relay. Ummmm...can't wait to see sit in person finally. I've been talking about putting a VI on my car for well over 2 years now. 100mph trap speeds here I come.

Dave
I hear ya. It sucks for me cause I was expecting to receive mine by now, but I have to wait another month. Anyways I am really looking forward to seeing your times now. I'm sure youre going to install it as quick as you can. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

Yep, customs in San fran

Iron,

why do you gotta wait another month for yours?
Old 08-05-2002, 01:04 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Mine was last scanned in San fransisco, .......Good things come to those who wait.
Mine shipped from a Japan Post Office on the 1st, scanned in Chicago on the 3rd, and somehow made it's way to my house in Kansas City by noon today. If the part had shipped UPS, it wouldn't be here until next Friday.

Good things do come to those who wait. I ordered my VI almost 10 weeks ago. I missed out on the 1st shippment and a Typhoon in July damaged the facility where the VIs are made therefore prolonging the shippments a little longer. I'm just happy I as able to get one.

Dave
Old 08-05-2002, 01:21 PM

Yep, customs in San fran

Iron,

why do you gotta wait another month for yours?
I got in on the Iansw group deal and they were supposed to be here by August 1st, but his supplier said that they did not come with the manifold cover. So he said it would probably be another month. I was hoping to hurry and get it, because my buddy who owns a saleen said he would give me $1000 if I could beat him N/A. (I can pretty much smoke him with the nitrous when its working properly.)
Old 08-05-2002, 03:44 PM
Keven97SE

Re: Uh oh 2k2 5th geners, my Variable Lungs have arrived

Dave, I just got done installing the MEVI along with xHypex last Friday. It took a bit of troubleshooting, but we got it working perfectly. I also sourced a bunch of OEM Nissan parts to do the vacuum and electrical stuff...the results look totally stock. If you're interested in the details, I put together a word doc with all the specifics. Let me know if you want it and I'll email it to you.

Dave

Old 08-05-2002, 03:49 PM

Re: Re: Uh oh 2k2 5th geners, my Variable Lungs have arrived

Originally posted by Keven97SE
Dave, I just got done installing the MEVI along with xHypex last Friday. It took a bit of troubleshooting, but we got it working perfectly. I also sourced a bunch of OEM Nissan parts to do the vacuum and electrical stuff...the results look totally stock. If you're interested in the details, I put together a word doc with all the specifics. Let me know if you want it and I'll email it to you.

I am currently looking for the parts I need to complete the install as well. I would appreciate it if you could email me your nissan parts list. Thanks, Matt
Old 08-05-2002, 07:25 PM

Re: Re: WOOOOHOOO !!!

Travis-

YES!!! I recieved the switch on Saturday. I really owe you big. Thanks again. Tonight I will try and go buy all the rest of the parts and I'll assemble VI tonight or tommorrow. I'm also going to take a lot of digital pics before I get started to reduce any install problems. I doubt until Friday night since I'll probably be in Chicago on Thursday and early Friday for work.

Which color wire on coil-plug number #1 did you tap for the rpm signal?

I plan on going to the track either next Wednesday or Friday. Unfortunately, 95+ degree temps with 110 heat induces isn't going to be helping me out much in terms of performance. Are you still coming up for the Grand Prix Meet at KCIR on the 20th of Sept? The weather should have cooled off a bit by then.

Dave
Good deal. Glad I could help. As far as I know right now, I'll be there for the meet on the 10th and for the GP thing on the 20th. I'll take a look at which wire I hooked into. Any of the cylinders will work, just have to find the right wire. If I remember correctly, they all follow a pattern, 3 wires with 1 different one on each cylinder and the other two are the same. If you have any questions, I should be up there Sat. and we can compare.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:07 PM
SLOW

Update:

Mine's here. I guess the website updates are slower than the mail. I'm halfway thru installing it, its 11pm right now. Check out my thread about it.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:42 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The lungs that are eagerly awaiting install:

http://home.earthlink.net/~thunderlt...ctures0001.jpg

Dave
Old 08-06-2002, 07:49 AM

Re: Re: Uh oh 2k2 5th geners, my Variable Lungs have arrived

Originally posted by Keven97SE

Keven could you please send a copy to markmelin@hotmail.com. Ants97Se and I are doing an install tomorrow night and your info would help us out a lot.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:42 AM
Sports Button FTW

nice burnout ericdwong!!!!
Old 08-06-2002, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by Iron Lung
I got in on the Iansw group deal and they were supposed to be here by August 1st, but his supplier said that they did not come with the manifold cover. So he said it would probably be another month. I was hoping to hurry and get it, because my buddy who owns a saleen said he would give me $1000 if I could beat him N/A. (I can pretty much smoke him with the nitrous when its working properly.)
Yeah good luck beating him.. I have been waiting too it is killing me!!
Old 08-06-2002, 09:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Uh oh 2k2 5th geners, my Variable Lungs have arrived

Originally posted by sparkymax96

Keven could you please send a copy to markmelin@hotmail.com. Ants97Se and I are doing an install tomorrow night and your info would help us out a lot.
Yea, can you shoot me those too? admin@digitalfury.org

Thanks
Old 08-06-2002, 10:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Uh oh 2k2 5th geners, my Variable Lungs have arrived

Originally posted by Ants97SE

Yea, can you shoot me those too? admin@digitalfury.org

Thanks
Yeah could you please email me one as well? jason.allio@genexservices.com
Thanks a lot!!
Old 08-06-2002, 02:04 PM

Congrats congrats!!! I am happy to see many 4th geners getting the VI. Maybe in a year or so, VI become a common mod. As common as the intake/exhaust.

But the looks of the 5th gens are growing on me rapidly.. When my twin bro got the 2k GXE, I couldnt care less. But I am slightly jealous now.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:14 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by hokiemax
Congrats congrats!!! I am happy to see many 4th geners getting the VI. Maybe in a year or so, VI become a common mod. As common as the intake/exhaust.

I'm curious to see if the VI will be common or not because I wonder if we are buying up all the VI manifolds throughtout Japan. I'd think it would be a part that Nissan figured wouldn't fail therefore they didn't build many. My recommendation is to buy now before it's too late. Also with so many guys in this Org afraid to wrench on their Maximas, I think many will shy away from the install since it's pretty involved. Even if VIs become common, I'll still have fun knowing that us VI owners are a very select few driving around on the streets of the US. I can't wait to install it and race a 99+ Stang GT and walk away from it and they're left thinking

Dave
Old 08-06-2002, 06:10 PM
SLOW

I was under the impression that the VIs are being made to keep up with demand, not that these were parts that have been sitting stocked for a few years. I think the hardcore racers and people that pride themselves on having unique or powerful maximas are drawn to this mod, but the general riceboy population of this board is going to pass the MEVI up because of the expense and work involved to install it and get it running properly.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:41 PM

Mine shipped from a Japan Post Office on the 1st, scanned in Chicago on the 3rd, and somehow made it's way to my house in Kansas City by noon today. If the part had shipped UPS, it wouldn't be here until next Friday.

Good things do come to those who wait. I ordered my VI almost 10 weeks ago. I missed out on the 1st shippment and a Typhoon in July damaged the facility where the VIs are made therefore prolonging the shippments a little longer. I'm just happy I as able to get one.

Dave
Old 08-06-2002, 09:35 PM

UHHHH, I'm stupid

I'm new to the Maxima world, what the f is a MEVI and what is the benefit(s)?
Old 08-06-2002, 09:54 PM

Congrats Dave. Those things sure do look pretty. I hope to have a set some day soon. Can't wait to see your et's drop.