4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Aftermarket foglight question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 01:33 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Aftermarket foglight question.

I have a se max which came with stock foglights already, I am debating to replace those with some aftermarket ones but not so sure. If I was to replace them can I wire it so that it uses thew same switch to turn them on and off???

The reason I might want new lights cuz my H3s keep blowing out on me and I hate replacing it. Is there a reason why they aren't durable??
Old 08-05-2002, 02:38 PM

yes you can use the same switch and stuff, you just have to connect the positive and negative of the new lights to the pos. and neg. coming from the car. also as far as making your H3's last longer, get some good piaa's or sylvania also makes a good bulb. and be sure to turn them on and off while the motor is running, this helps to reduce voltage spikes and downfalls.

hope this helps
Old 08-05-2002, 03:25 PM

Hey,
If you decide to change the lights, I would be interested in your factory fogs. My lenses are cracked, I'm still getting over the sticker shock of new replacements, and no junkyard I've called has them. Let me know.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:28 AM

Jcy98maxse: S2cmpugh is on point >>

Originally posted by jcy98maxse
I have a se max which came with stock foglights already, I am debating to replace those with some aftermarket ones but not so sure. If I was to replace them can I wire it so that it uses thew same switch to turn them on and off???

The reason I might want new lights cuz my H3s keep blowing out on me and I hate replacing it. Is there a reason why they aren't durable??
You can surely use the stock wiring, just swap plugs from your aftermarket foglamps from the OE foglamps. Just make sure you do get the polarity right.

If you're blowing a lot of bulbs, you could be installing them improperly. Make sure you are NOT touching the glass, for the grease from your fingers cause hotspots to develop. Wipe down the bulb with 90+% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol after you take them out of the package and don't touch them as you install.

When buying bulbs, stick with name brands and also with brands that produce OE applications like Sylvania and Philips. Brands like Eurolite and Piaa make decent bulbs, but tend to overcharge despite diminished quality. Hellas makes great foglamps and driving lamps but really crappy bulbs.

If you're still want foglamps here's a couple:

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/ff01.asp
Old 08-06-2002, 11:40 AM

I agree with Albert
Old 08-07-2002, 09:50 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

thanx guys I'm thinking I'm gonna stay with the stock foglights for now, I may purchase some better quality h3. Has anyone found a set that matches some blueish xenon gas 9004 bulbs and durable??? I knew its hard cuz I heard something about the lens being weird and filtering out blue...
Old 08-08-2002, 05:06 AM

It'll be harder to match the color >>

Originally posted by jcy98maxse
thanx guys I'm thinking I'm gonna stay with the stock foglights for now, I may purchase some better quality h3. Has anyone found a set that matches some blueish xenon gas 9004 bulbs and durable??? I knew its hard cuz I heard something about the lens being weird and filtering out blue...
...because you have a '98 with clear lensed reflector headlamps, and the fogs are etched lenses. The etched lenses do different things when it comes to bending the light. As light energy bends, it slows down, and as light slows down, it changes color. Also the fact that the foglamps are so small, doesn't help.

Why are you so worried about matching colors? If you're so hellbent on it...there are plenty of blue bulbs out there that will do the trick...just make sure you stick with 55W H3s.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:34 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Re: It'll be harder to match the color >>

Originally posted by Albertt

Why are you so worried about matching colors? If you're so hellbent on it...there are plenty of blue bulbs out there that will do the trick...just make sure you stick with 55W H3s.
I'm doing too worried about it, my lights don't match now but I just figure that I need to replace my h3s I may as well find out if theres some that match our headlights better.