4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How can I say if I am running five cylinder???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 08:00 AM

How can I say if I am running five cylinder???

While replacing the plugs on my 95 Maxima, I bent one of the ignition coils too much in order to put it back in. This is because I failed to disconnect its wiring prior to removing or putting back on. It made a click sound when it was bent.

Now I have an unease feeling that I might have broken it, and thus one cylinder could be out of order. I asked local dealership's mechanic and he told me if it shakes a lot then you're running five cylinder. No shakes, but could I have damaged the coil beyond repair?
Old 08-06-2002, 08:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: How can I say if I am running five cylinder???

Originally posted by myamin
While replacing the plugs on my 95 Maxima, I bent one of the ignition coils too much in order to put it back in. This is because I failed to disconnect its wiring prior to removing or putting back on. It made a click sound when it was bent.

Now I have an unease feeling that I might have broken it, and thus one cylinder could be out of order. I asked local dealership's mechanic and he told me if it shakes a lot then you're running five cylinder. No shakes, but could I have damaged the coil beyond repair?
If you are running five cylinders your car would misfire , and the engine would shake like youre drivin an old chevy truck, kinda like a chug a chug a chug, but you get the idea. It wouldnt run right. And would drive and sound like crap.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ignition coils? do you mean one of the spark plugs?
You'd definitely know if one was not firing. To test this, start her up and listen to it, then disconnect the wire from the back of one of the spark plugs and then listen to it. You'll notice the difference immediately.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:03 AM

Thank you all. Sigh of relief...
Old 08-06-2002, 11:44 AM

jess dont drive on it
Old 08-06-2002, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by iregula
jess dont drive on it
eh?