4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

PICS of my addco RSB installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2000, 09:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I installed my RSB today but have not been able to test it due to all the snow on the ground. The installation went smooth thanks to the directions in the FAQ section and no thanks to the ones included with the bar. The only wierd thing was that one of the bushings had a cut across it, this made it easier to put on and I hope will not impact the final results (take a look at the pic)

On the lift before installation
Old 12-13-2000, 09:08 PM

the cut part

Old 12-13-2000, 09:09 PM

Old 12-13-2000, 09:10 PM

P.S. thanks for making me have to use all these posts to get the pics up Jambo! annoying
Old 12-13-2000, 09:54 PM
OG :)

nice pics dude! think my bar came with the wrong part because a bracket near the brake lines and "]" piece don't fit together but your rsb looks to be a different color. i'm going to look at it again and compare with these pictures.
Old 12-14-2000, 12:58 AM
MaxRX7

I don't know how to tell you this, but...

You are supposed to lift the car up by the rear wheels(under load). The only thing to do now is to lift it up again the same way you did and loosen the bolts a bit and put the rear axle under a normal weight load and tighten the bolts back to specs.
What's that leak you have? It looks real nasty on the 3rd pic.

[Edited by MaxRX7 on 12-14-2000 at 03:14 AM]

Old 12-14-2000, 04:57 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I don't know how to tell you this, but...

Originally posted by MaxRX7
You are supposed to lift the car up by the rear wheels(under load). The only thing to do now is to lift it up again the same way you did and loosen the bolts a bit and put the rear axle under a normal weight load and tighten the bolts back to specs.

If I'm not mistaken, that leak would be melting snow.
Old 12-14-2000, 05:38 AM

Re: I don't know how to tell you this, but...

not saying you are wrong by any means, but can I have a couple more people agree with this. Also, please explain how that makes a difference (I sort of see where you are going, but want to be sure)
Old 12-14-2000, 12:43 PM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

me too!

i installed mine the other day and have cut bushings too i hope this isn't a problem. the underload thing is affected by putting it up(i have heard), but wouldn't it be the same thing if you jack one side up and put it on. i'm no mechanic, but does that really affect it that much? and if it does, i think addco should recommend that the bar be installed on ramps or that the installer should grin and bear it like i did and install the bar while the car is on the ground unlifted. check my site i decribed my install and the problems i ran into if your interested. i was lucky enough to test it out the night i installed it and some guy in an accord was staring at me at an intersection. i wasn't in the mood to street race but this guy was asking for it, because after i made my turn he started tailgating me and revving his engine, so i took off. long story short i reached a sharp right turn i was familiar with that i was positive i could make without the swaybar which was turning yellow so i hit it going like 45 no squeeling tires, planted the whole time(no three tire action) and the accord squeeled into a stop in the middle of the intersection. my opinion it works.

Jules
Old 12-15-2000, 06:56 AM

Re: me too!

Originally posted by SINYMaxSE
i installed mine the other day and have cut bushings too i hope this isn't a problem. the underload thing is affected by putting it up(i have heard), but wouldn't it be the same thing if you jack one side up and put it on. i'm no mechanic, but does that really affect it that much? and if it does, i think addco should recommend that the bar be installed on ramps or that the installer should grin and bear it like i did and install the bar while the car is on the ground unlifted. check my site i decribed my install and the problems i ran into if your interested. i was lucky enough to test it out the night i installed it and some guy in an accord was staring at me at an intersection. i wasn't in the mood to street race but this guy was asking for it, because after i made my turn he started tailgating me and revving his engine, so i took off. long story short i reached a sharp right turn i was familiar with that i was positive i could make without the swaybar which was turning yellow so i hit it going like 45 no squeeling tires, planted the whole time(no three tire action) and the accord squeeled into a stop in the middle of the intersection. my opinion it works.

Jules
Don't think I will be climbing under my car in this snow... but mine does appear to work better than not having it... I think that I will just wait until it gets a little warmer then I'll crawl under and readjust it.
Old 12-15-2000, 07:18 AM

RSB Install

beautiful PICs, man! I have the exact same one. One thing I would suggest, though, is to tighten all the bolts attaching to the trailer arms. I tightened mine so tight that the straight piece bent in a little. The instructions said it was OK. I installed mine while the car was on the ground, too.

DW
Old 12-15-2000, 07:41 AM

I installed my RSB about 3 weeks ago now, and I definitely feel that it made a difference. A lot of guys say that it doesn't do much, but I think that they might also have springs. I put on a FSTB and then my RSB and it felt much more planted in general. My Addco came with the same bushings as yours and I'm sure that there isn't too much of a difference between the polyurethane bushings and the rubber. You actually save a lot of work because you don't have to slide them on
-hype
Old 12-15-2000, 08:02 AM

RSB

Totally agree. The difference between the urethane and rubber bushings, as well as the ease of install, is that the uretahne ones will last longer. Performance wise?? Nothing.

DW

Originally posted by xHypex
I installed my RSB about 3 weeks ago now, and I definitely feel that it made a difference. A lot of guys say that it doesn't do much, but I think that they might also have springs. I put on a FSTB and then my RSB and it felt much more planted in general. My Addco came with the same bushings as yours and I'm sure that there isn't too much of a difference between the polyurethane bushings and the rubber. You actually save a lot of work because you don't have to slide them on
-hype
Old 12-15-2000, 08:25 AM

RSB

I got my Stillen RSB last night. Will be installing it tomorrow, wish me luck
Old 12-15-2000, 11:49 AM

instructions

http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/ypipe.html
these are instructions for the stillen RSB from Jeff K's site

https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_modi...sb/index.shtml

directions from max.org FAQ on how to install ADDCO RSB

i skimmed both and i never saw that you had to lift the car from the rear axle and tension the rear end to put on the RSB so it will be on tighter ?

Ant
Old 12-15-2000, 11:57 AM

Re: instructions

Originally posted by Ant95se

i skimmed both and i never saw that you had to lift the car from the rear axle and tension the rear end to put on the RSB so it will be on tighter ?

Ant
I didn't either (that is why I didn't do it...) My car is much more stable even though I did not lift my car. I think I will email addco I know there are a lot more people with the addco who have not shared if they lifted their car for the install... how about it??
Old 12-15-2000, 12:05 PM

JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH ADDCO

they told me that its fine to have the car lifted (EXCEPT ON CARS that have independent rear suspension.) My installation was fine. I'm meant to check the spacers on the arms to make sure its not too tight or too loose. They are meant to be tight, but still movable with a hand. Hope this helps you..
Old 12-15-2000, 12:09 PM

well

I ordered my stillen RSB..
install should be cake...

I let you know how it goes..

Ant
Old 12-15-2000, 08:51 PM
OG :)

Originally posted by Kenneth
nice pics dude! think my bar came with the wrong part because a bracket near the brake lines and "]" piece don't fit together but your rsb looks to be a different color. i'm going to look at it again and compare with these pictures.
chatted with shox.com and they are sending a whole bushing kit.

btw theblue you can post up to 5 pics in a post now.
Old 12-15-2000, 10:02 PM

Lookin good.

My car looks exactly the same right now =) I just ordered an addco yesterday and was a little icked out at the idea of crawling under it with all the gunk floating on the roads right now. I think I'm just gonna wait till spring (Got a CAI coming too which I might put it without waiting.. the mufflers gonna hafta wait too though =P grr)
Old 12-16-2000, 08:01 AM
MaxRX7

Re: Re: instructions

Originally posted by theblue

Ant
I didn't either (that is why I didn't do it...) My car is much more stable even though I did not lift my car. I think I will email addco I know there are a lot more people with the addco who have not shared if they lifted their car for the install... how about it??
First Stealin RSB is completly different and I never mentioned it.
Thanks for correcting me by the way, NOT! Ant you just proved my point. I quote from:
"Required Tools:
Floor jack and Jack Stands or Wheel ramps " and "Install:
Jack up the rear of the car, or put up rear of car on Wheel ramps. You can do it flat on the ground but space is very limited."
This shows me that both of you are blind or cannot read. I was just trying to help this blue guy out. If he wants to leave it the way he has it now good, I could care less.

Old 12-16-2000, 08:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: instructions

Originally posted by theblue

Ant
First Stealin RSB is completly different and I never mentioned it.
Thanks for correcting me by the way, NOT! Ant you just proved my point. I quote from:
"Required Tools:
Floor jack and Jack Stands or Wheel ramps " and "Install:
Jack up the rear of the car, or put up rear of car on Wheel ramps. You can do it flat on the ground but space is very limited."
This shows me that both of you are blind or cannot read. I was just trying to help this blue guy out. If he wants to leave it the way he has it now good, I could care less.
If addco tells me that you only need to install under the bar under load on an independent rear suspension then don't you think they know what they are talking about???? I'm not saying that you are wrong. I plan on adjusting the bar to play it safe once there is no snow on the ground.
Old 12-16-2000, 10:12 AM

OK, I just got my Stillen RSB installed this morning. It was done in a performance auto shop. They lifted up my car completely and told me I don't have to worry about it, cuz i don't have independent rear suspension.
The car handles great now. No body roll at all. RSB makes a great impact on car's handling.

Andy