4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New member...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 05:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

New member...

Hello,

I've been reading the threads for a week or so and I think I've found a car that I want. It's a white '97 se 5-speed with about 97k miles on it. Having the dealer check it out tomorrow to (hopefully) find out its issues. They want $7,800 for it and it seems like a good deal. One small dent by the door, a scratch on the bumper but the rest of it seems straight and it drives better than the last two I looked at.

Anything special I should have them look at, other than the transmission?

Thank you,

Jim
Old 08-11-2002, 06:26 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Nissan recently issued a recall for some 97 models. The alternators can start fires.

Have them see if the car you are looking at is affected.
Old 08-11-2002, 06:36 PM

Thanks. I will ask. Are the high miles anything to worry about?

Regards,

Jim
Old 08-11-2002, 06:48 PM
Master Will

Originally posted by 4drsc
Thanks. I will ask. Are the high miles anything to worry about?

Regards,

Jim
miles are not an issue as long as you keep it well serviced and keep putting mods on the car regular

Maximas like to be modded....
Old 08-11-2002, 07:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by metallic97gxe

miles are not an issue as long as you keep it well serviced and keep putting mods on the car regular

LOL
Old 08-11-2002, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by metallic97gxe

I hope the prior owner serviced it well. It looks clean and seems fairly well taken care of but it was on a lot so there's no telling what it looked like when it was taken in...

Not sure if I will mod much so it will likely die a quick death. Maybe I'd better order a strut bar quick!

Thanks,

Jim
Old 08-11-2002, 09:11 PM

I hope the prior owner serviced it well. It looks clean and seems fairly well taken care of but it was on a lot so there's no telling what it looked like when it was taken in...

Not sure if I will mod much so it will likely die a quick death. Maybe I'd better order a strut bar quick!

Thanks,

Jim
Run a Carfax. Just today one of our members found out his car had been previously totalled. It's always worth running.

And you'd better order that strut bar today I have a feeling your starter just went bad!
-Cyrus
Old 08-11-2002, 09:14 PM

The carfax came up clean... It's lived its life within about 10 miles of my house. We'll see what the dealer says tomorrow...

He'll probably prescribe mods...

Regards,

Jim
Old 08-11-2002, 11:35 PM

Re: New member...

Where are you at? my max is for sale!

Hello,

I've been reading the threads for a week or so and I think I've found a car that I want. It's a white '97 se 5-speed with about 97k miles on it. Having the dealer check it out tomorrow to (hopefully) find out its issues. They want $7,800 for it and it seems like a good deal. One small dent by the door, a scratch on the bumper but the rest of it seems straight and it drives better than the last two I looked at.

Anything special I should have them look at, other than the transmission?

Thank you,

Jim
Old 08-12-2002, 07:54 AM

Re: Re: New member...

Originally posted by _DRU_
Where are you at? my max is for sale!

Woodinville, Washington (state).
Old 08-12-2002, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus

Run a Carfax. Just today one of our members found out his car had been previously totalled. It's always worth running.

And you'd better order that strut bar today I have a feeling your starter just went bad!
-Cyrus
yea, i was the one that found out that my car was previously totaled it sucks that it was, but oh well. it is good that it came up clean for you!! good luck with it, and i think that you should go for it!
Old 08-12-2002, 07:56 PM

Ok, its officially mine... I sold a '99 Accord LX V6 and bought this. I sold the Accord for $14k and bought this for $7720. Feels more like I upgraded than down graded...

Thanks to the person who mentioned I should check the recall on the '97 I have a new alternator for free!

Thanks also for everyone's help!

Now I just have to get a 'service engine soon' aka cel light issue worked out - says its an evaporative loss valve or something. Going to let the dealer work that one out since it didn't turn up in his check.

Hey, also just noticed my dash lights aren't working! Maybe its a fuse? Anyone know which one? (no owner's manual yet...)

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 08-12-2002, 08:12 PM

hello

Welcome to the club... you're going to find this place has waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy tooooo much freaking information on maximas.... hehe

before you get freaked out by little glitches here and there, check the search feature on the site. it's probably something very small

oh, I would instantly recommend getting a y-pipe.

anywho, congrats on the purchase.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:58 PM

Hey jim!

good choice about getting the maxima!!! i love mine! (besides the recent information i found out) but Heck, we all love our car at this place! i agree with multiplexor about the y-pipe upgrade. with all that money you saved, i would get a y-pipe, air intake, and some rims! then you will love your car even more.. well lots of luck with your new car. later.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:00 AM

I'm pretty certain my mod money is going to be low... (recently found out I am having twins and this means something totally different at 37 than it did when I was 18... )

Going to have to figure out my dash and tail light issues. Wasn't a fuse. A few posts on this previously but now I'm getting paranoid... The car has a new, cheap stereo in it because the lot boys (or someone) removed the old high dollar one so I'm a little worried what I will find as far as wiring. Whoever had it before must have had quite the system... There's an optima gold top sitting in the engine bay with expensive looking cables hooked up. None of it looks like a hack job so hopefully it will sort itself out.

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 08-13-2002, 04:22 AM

mod. mod now. mod now or you are not welcome here!
Old 08-13-2002, 04:48 AM

I said not MUCH money for mods (I've already picked out the fstb I want...) Who knows from there...
Old 08-13-2002, 06:08 AM

I said not MUCH money for mods (I've already picked out the fstb I want...) Who knows from there...
that was my first mod it helped out the car a bunch i found...
then i got a y-pipe....

i see where you're headed now... hehehe