4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

clar bar on super black, will it get out the spots

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 01:14 AM

clar bar on super black, will it get out the spots

i was doing a lil reserach on the clay bar, since this is going to bte first time using it. I have a 98 maxima se, in super black, and the problem areas are my front bumper, my hood, and rocker panels, and lower portion of the doors, they have all become stained which little spots of white, from all the debri i encounter while driving, i was wondering how well the clay bar would remove the spots of white on those problem areas. Those of you that have superblack maxima's how did u clean those areas? will the clay be affective, or do i just have to live with it.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:36 AM

Re: clar bar on super black, will it get out the spots

Originally posted by eibachmax
i was doing a lil reserach on the clay bar, since this is going to bte first time using it. I have a 98 maxima se, in super black, and the problem areas are my front bumper, my hood, and rocker panels, and lower portion of the doors, they have all become stained which little spots of white, from all the debri i encounter while driving, i was wondering how well the clay bar would remove the spots of white on those problem areas. Those of you that have superblack maxima's how did u clean those areas? will the clay be affective, or do i just have to live with it.
Are the white spots actually because your paint is chipped and primer showing? If so, a clay bar won't do anything (My blue '96 GXE had those). Those areas you described are very prone to gravel pitting. The clay bar will work wonders on contaminants. Try it in a small area and you just may be amazed. Don't forget to wax after because the clay bar is said to strip your wax off, too. I highly recommend the clay bars regardless, and I use it on my white '97 SE, which doesn't seem to show imperfections as bad as dark cars. Hope you get them out.

Dave
Old 08-12-2002, 02:44 AM

Just do it!!! I finally did mine the other month and kicked myself for not doing it earlier. If you can't find a professional detail shop and the japanese stuff(heard it's better), get the mother's kit. I heard the meguire's isn't as good. also if you do get the mother's kit do yourself a favor and throw the wax that comes with it in the trash. it really sucks. get some good sealer wax or something.
I honestly was thinking about getting a new paint job until i clayed my max. it is amazing. best $15 spent on my car.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:53 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by Kanaka
Just do it!!! I finally did mine the other month and kicked myself for not doing it earlier. If you can't find a professional detail shop and the japanese stuff(heard it's better), get the mother's kit. I heard the meguire's isn't as good. also if you do get the mother's kit do yourself a favor and throw the wax that comes with it in the trash. it really sucks. get some good sealer wax or something.
I honestly was thinking about getting a new paint job until i clayed my max. it is amazing. best $15 spent on my car.
why does it suck
Old 08-12-2002, 06:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: clar bar on super black, will it get out the spots

Originally posted by eibachmax

Some brands of paste wax are white when dry. The wax fills the little chips in the paint, and a little residue is left behind even after buffing. The residue shows up as little spots of white. I've been using the liquid wax with the black coloring in it (I forget the brand, but it's a major brand, like Turtle Wax maybe). It's not the best wax, and it takes a lot of buffing, but it doesn't leave the little white spots (it leaves a black residue that doesn't show up). I use this on the hood and front areas, and leave the better wax for the rest of the car. My superblack 95 looks much better since I've been doing this.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:35 PM
Redlinemax Owner

do the clay bars work well on our plastic bumpers? i was told that the paint on the bumper is a different formula than the atuff on the rest of the car
Old 08-12-2002, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by Redmax
do the clay bars work well on our plastic bumpers? i was told that the paint on the bumper is a different formula than the atuff on the rest of the car
It works on all painted surfaces. when we did my friend's car, his bumper was coverd with little spots of stuff that was stuck on even after washing and the clay took it ALL off and made it silky smooth.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:07 PM

ill prolly go get the mothers clay bar kit this week, hopefully it will work well