4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

new suggestion for bearing failure in 5spds...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 07:16 AM

new suggestion for bearing failure in 5spds...

when i cracked the case on my first tranny i noticed that there was silicone sealant around the edges of the case where it meets the bellhousing, however there wasnt much silicone at all in the seal area. could it be possible that over time the silicone oozed out enough to pull both halves of the tranny together to effectively increase the preload on the bearings? a gasket would have eliminated this problem... also i just removed my 5spd vlsd tranny from my 98 SE and there is play in the differential but only side to side and not up and down. the tranny does leak but i can attribute it to my error putting the seal in (its a little too far in) i have a lifetime warranty on my tranny from the junk yard i bought it from should i put the tranny back in and bring it to them or should i bring it to them while its out ? thanks for your help - Pete
Old 08-12-2002, 09:02 AM
Keven97SE

Re: new suggestion for bearing failure in 5spds...

Interesting...you might be on to something there. Yeah, it's very odd that they use silicone sealant in that area when the thickness of the bead so greatly affects bearing preload. I bet they totally overlooked that. Hmmm...

Originally posted by MaxSE98
when i cracked the case on my first tranny i noticed that there was silicone sealant around the edges of the case where it meets the bellhousing, however there wasnt much silicone at all in the seal area. could it be possible that over time the silicone oozed out enough to pull both halves of the tranny together to effectively increase the preload on the bearings? a gasket would have eliminated this problem... also i just removed my 5spd vlsd tranny from my 98 SE and there is play in the differential but only side to side and not up and down. the tranny does leak but i can attribute it to my error putting the seal in (its a little too far in) i have a lifetime warranty on my tranny from the junk yard i bought it from should i put the tranny back in and bring it to them or should i bring it to them while its out ? thanks for your help - Pete

Old 08-12-2002, 10:03 AM

I dont think so, because when the preload is set (assuming it was set properly) it should have been done when there was no sealant there. If nissan did their homework right there should be slight tolerance in the bearings (even if it is .0005"). So, when the silicone is applied, the tranny 1/2s would actually sit a teeny bit further away from each other thus DECREASING the preload. Someone screwed up big time.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:29 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by ericdwong
I dont think so, because when the preload is set (assuming it was set properly) it should have been done when there was no sealant there.
Somebody knows their stuff! Eric is correct. If anything the bearings would have less preload after assembly. I highly douby the sealant has anything at all to do with the bearing failures in 5 speed trannys.

Good thread, great thought here.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Somebody knows their stuff! Eric is correct. If anything the bearings would have less preload after assembly. I highly douby the sealant has anything at all to do with the bearing failures in 5 speed trannys.

Good thread, great thought here.
well then maybe nissan mistakenly calculated it for a thicker sealant. possibly they used one sealant then changed it before the production run - Pete
Old 08-12-2002, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by MaxSE98

well then maybe nissan mistakenly calculated it for a thicker sealant. possibly they used one sealant then changed it before the production run - Pete
I also dont think this is the case. I just think someone said "the hell with it" and didnt bother to shim the transmission properly. Its probably a pain in the butt to shim each and every one of these transmissions ( for diffy bearings, you must assemble the transmission, drive in the outer race of the bearings WITHOUT shims, measure the freeplay, select the right shims, dissassmemble transmission, pound out the outer race, install the shims, install outer race and then reassemble the tranny).

What I found in 2 of my transmissions were the EXACT SAME shim combinations in BOTH transmissions for the various components. And this is down to the .0015". Ridiculous.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:41 PM

any auto makers biggest concern is volume they are all shimmed the same because they thought it was the best way. i guess the days of the japanese over engineering everything are over
Old 08-13-2002, 06:37 AM
Keven97SE

It's all speculation as to what actually happened with Nissan, but these are all very good, plausible reasons why these 4th gen transmissions are failing.

Everyone gets an "A+" on this assignment!

Your teacher,

Mr Biggs

Old 08-13-2002, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Keven97SE
It's all speculation as to what actually happened with Nissan, but these are all very good, plausible reasons why these 4th gen transmissions are failing.

Everyone gets an "A+" on this assignment!

Your teacher,

Mr Biggs
WOOHOOOO AN A+ i failed all my classes last semester