4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP!!!! Service Engine Light On

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000, 04:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey guys....I need someones opinion and help if possible. I was driving home from work tonight and stopped at 7-11 for coffee. When I started the car again that annoying orange SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on and the damn thing wont go off. I was told after askin a few people that it is doubtfully due to my intake because I've had it for 2 years and nothing ever happened. I was told that it may be my O2 sensor or something like that. Is that possible or does anyone know what it may be. Also when I take the car to Nissan for service is it better to put the stock filter on the car or can I leave the intake in.

Thanks
Christine
Old 12-14-2000, 05:37 PM

dont worry about it

(IMO) When people see service engine soon light come on they immediatly think the worst; what people don't realize is how smart cars are now a days. For instance if you drive away with your gas cap open your service engine light will come on because your car detects that the quality of gas is not correct due to the overexposure to air ( laman's terms). You have a 99 the o2 sensor shouldn't be a problem; a lot of the times it's actually a malfunctioning light. Don't worry about your filter, it doesn't void any warranty. Just take it into the dealership and tell them it came on, they'll probably give you a tune up at an obsurb price and it'll go away for another 50k. How many miles do you have?

-Nate

Originally posted by i999Maximagirl
Hey guys....I need someones opinion and help if possible. I was driving home from work tonight and stopped at 7-11 for coffee. When I started the car again that annoying orange SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on and the damn thing wont go off. I was told after askin a few people that it is doubtfully due to my intake because I've had it for 2 years and nothing ever happened. I was told that it may be my O2 sensor or something like that. Is that possible or does anyone know what it may be. Also when I take the car to Nissan for service is it better to put the stock filter on the car or can I leave the intake in.

Thanks
Christine
Old 12-14-2000, 05:53 PM

Christine gimme a call and i will reset your ECU for you. It takes about an hour to do and it will turn that annnoying a$$ light off.
Anthony
ny96maxse
Old 12-14-2000, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by i999Maximagirl

Thanks
Christine
The Check Engine Light is evidence that something is wrong. That
"something" may be any number of things, some major and some minor. It
might be nothing more than a loose fuel filler cap. The Engine Control
Module (the computer) detected a problem and turned on the Check Engine
Light. At the same time it stored one or more Diagnostic Trouble Codes.
Get someone to do a DTC readout for you. This is not a big deal, does not
require specialized "dealer only" test equipment, and should take less than
an hour. When you know the stored DTCs, you will have a fair idea of what
repairs are needed.

If you like to do your own "wrenching" you can do the DTC readout for
yourself. Go to your public library and borrow a Chilton's or Haynes
manual for your vehicle. It contains detailed instructions and a table
which "translates" the numerical codes into words. No special tools are
required. You will also find instructions to do a DTC readout and reset
the Check Engine light at Steve Cutchen's excellent MaxFAQs page:
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/
Old 12-14-2000, 06:07 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

My check engine light had gone on a couple months ago. I went to the dealership and they hookep up their little "consult" gadget and got a vent control valve [P1448]. It turns out it had seized. They replaced it since my car was still under warranty. Since it was part of the evap system, it wouldn't have effect the perfomance of the car. And resetting the ECU will not probably work. They did that for me the first time, and it came back on 2 days later. If you have a 99' you should be under 36,000 miles. It takes them literally 1 minute to pull the error codes from the ECU. Just don't be cocky and rude, and give off the attitude that they owe you the world. I went to a dealership that I didn't even purchase the car from. They treated me great. Frost Nissan in Newton, MA. They deserve a plug!
Old 12-14-2000, 07:25 PM

ok yes the car is a 99 but I have been to the end of the world with my baby and back. I have over 40k already, my dear family thinks I am a taxi service, and going to car shows all over the place doesnt help either. If I take the car to the dealer with the K&N do you think they will try to blame the defect on that and void my warrenty? Thank you to everyone for all your help.

Christine
Old 12-14-2000, 07:41 PM

Check Engine Light

I don,t think the K&N is to blame and the dealer should not be stoopid and tell you so. If you look just inboard of your gas pedal you should see a cover with 2 plastic screws/fastners. Pull this cover off(you may break the screws/fastners) and you will see your engines computer. Look for the screw on the side of the computer. Then insert the key and turn on the car to the ACC position and then turn the screw on the computer all the way clockwise for about 2-3 seconds and then back counterclockwise and then look at the check engine light(do not force the screw too hard while doing this). It will then blink slowly for a number of times (COUNT THE BLINKS) and then blink quickly for a number of times(COUNT THESE ALSO). Write them down and then post them and I or someone else will post and tell you what they mean.Have any questions then feel free to E-Mail me and I will get back with you.
Old 12-14-2000, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by ny96maxse
Christine gimme a call and i will reset your ECU for you. It takes about an hour to do and it will turn that annnoying a$$ light off.
Anthony
ny96maxse
dude, don't reset the ECU. the CE light comes on for a reason... there's probably an error code stored in the ECU. Do a diagnostic by turning the diagnostic pot on the ECU clockwise fully, wait 2 seconds, turn fully counterclockwise. the error codes will start blinking on the ECU and on the dash (check engine light will blink). the first SLOWER blinks are the first digit, the faster blinks are the second digit. IE Five slow and five fast = 5-5 which is no error code (at least on most Nissans..)
Old 12-14-2000, 09:46 PM

Take it to get checked, if you don't want to mess with your car

Daniel B. Martin, NickStam, dch95, and got rice? have all got it right. There's a reason that you have the service engine light (or in the technical service bulletins, they call it the malfunction indicator light (MIL)). If the MIL light came on, there's definitely a myriad of things that may be wrong with it--from the small to the large. Even if it blinks MOMENTARILY during driving, your on-board diagnostics (OBD) should be storing a code to help the mechanics (whether they be Nissan nor not) figure out what's going on with your car. Again, if you figure out the code, or have someone else figure it out, post it, and we'd be more than happyy to let you know what it is.

If you're going to keep your car for a while, I think it would be a good piece of insurance just to have it looked at. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2000, 04:40 AM

I agree. If the light comes on I would definitely want to know why. I have a 99 SE and the light suddenly came on at 33K. In my case it turned out to be the Oxygen sensor; easy replacement by the dealer.
Old 12-15-2000, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by ny96maxse
Anthony
ny96maxse
Haha, you were joking right? Yeah, if I was checking the code and turning the light of for someone named Christine it might take me an hour, but if they were named Bubba, then it would take about 10 min to do....
Old 12-15-2000, 11:49 PM

Just like most people said, it is probably just your O2 sensor. I just got my car in September and I have already had to have it replaced twice...they say I just go a couple of bad sensors but the new one is going just great.
Old 12-16-2000, 07:41 AM

Check Engine

FYI, just because the computer gives a code dealing with the O2 sensor does not mean that it is going bad. It means that the computer received a signal from the sensor that does not fall within the normal operating parameters. I had a O2 sensor code that ended up being spark plugs that were not firing the air/fuel mixture properly so my O2 sensor picked that up and told the computer something was wrong. $12 and 30 minutes later my problem was solved.
Old 12-16-2000, 02:48 PM

Re: Check Engine Light

Originally posted by dch95
I don,t think the K&N is to blame and the dealer should not be stoopid and tell you so. If you look just inboard of your gas pedal you should see a cover with 2 plastic screws/fastners. Pull this cover off(you may break the screws/fastners) and you will see your engines computer. Look for the screw on the side of the computer. Then insert the key and turn on the car to the ACC position and then turn the screw on the computer all the way clockwise for about 2-3 seconds and then back counterclockwise and then look at the check engine light(do not force the screw too hard while doing this). It will then blink slowly for a number of times (COUNT THE BLINKS) and then blink quickly for a number of times(COUNT THESE ALSO). Write them down and then post them and I or someone else will post and tell you what they mean.Have any questions then feel free to E-Mail me and I will get back with you.
doH! you finished your post before mine. I didn't need to make my post LOL