4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Spring Noise ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 10:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Spring Noise ??

I just started gettin this noise last night after I drove over alittle curb to get into a car show by my house. Its a large clunking sound from the front drivers side. Me and Tom used all the appropriate isolator and stuff but I really only hear the sound when I start off in first hard or even shift into second hard...I dont hear it at all going over bumps even roufe stuff I dont hear it...Its like a creaking cluking...Dont have any clue what it is. I also hear it if im stopped and I push down on the front drivers bumper immediatly I hear the noise..right when the front goes down the littlest bit i hear it ??? any sugg.
I used OEM isolators, New strut mounts, New OEM boots and the rest was all the original at 110K

Old 08-16-2002, 02:16 PM
Zam

It's possibly your springs rubbing with each of the other coils. I get the noise too. From what I remember, folks were going to Home Depot and getting some rubber strips/coils that they simply wrapped around the front springs. Instead of metal on metal, the rubber/hard plastic isolates the sound. Need to get some myself.

Zam
Old 08-16-2002, 03:34 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Matt, what did you do? A curb to get into a car show? Your lowered too, which makes curbs very bad. Check your lower control arm bushings. At 110K they might be starting to show their age. Now you put a little extra strain on them by lowering your car, add in the curb.

According to my calculations:

(Lower+Mileage)/Curb=

Give it a few days to settle back in, you might get lucky. Otherwise stop by and I'll take a quick look one Saturday.

Tom
Old 08-16-2002, 05:25 PM

Check the tension on the front center nut on each top post in the engine bay thru the center of each strut tower...I had teh same thing happen on Peter's car a couple weeks ago and it helped fix the original noise...you just have to make certain it is down correctly.

Good luck
Old 08-16-2002, 09:03 PM

hey tracy.. now my rear ones are making noises too... different noise than the front ones.. kinda like metal rubbing against metal..
Old 08-16-2002, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by ptrkng
Peter I sent you a note, check your mail.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:52 PM

:::UPDATE:::

Ok when I push down on the front of the car it was a different noise ---> Disregard my stupidity...it was a part on the bumper rubbing with another

Now onto the real noise...Its only when I lerch foward quickly (easily done with my ACT clutch) in 1st or it will happen if I shift fast into 2nd you can hear it sounds like an old wooden door being opened but alot louder...its definetly described as a creaking noise as I go foward..creak...creak....creak,,,,then no noise ...its not when Im in motion at all. even over the worst bumps in town and it only happens on the drivers side...
One good thing is that during the day it got alot better and by this afternoon it was almost gone...I will give it a few more days and see if the sound leaves me...if I doesnt I may need to come and see you again Tom..Man your my best friend

If it goes away, no more going over curbs to get into rice burner car shows...Ill have to park up the highway and walk
Old 08-16-2002, 10:31 PM

SLCi30t and I recently installed sprint springs on my car. i have NO odd noises at all. i wrapped every other coil of each spring with spring wrap. i bought the wrap at radio shack. here's a pic

Old 08-17-2002, 05:06 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: :::UPDATE:::

Originally posted by matty
no more going over curbs to get into rice burner car shows...Ill have to park up the highway and walk