4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Darn Haynes Manuals!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 09:39 PM

Darn Haynes Manuals!

Is this stupidity or does it just take some hard times to learn a good lesson? Today I received all of my Polarg accessory bulbs! I couldn't wait to get home, so I got home quickly to find them all lined up ready to go on my counter along with a screw driver (I told my wife to set this up for me). I do quick work of the turning signals replacing them in a record 3 minutes! Then come the sidemarkers.......ugh. Well I crack open my Haynes manual and start reading the section on replacing a sidemarker bulb. It says to go underneath the car and that you can see the turn signal (which I already completed) and the side marker bulbs right there. Once I stuck my head underneath I find the path to the sidemarkers and turn signals is completely blocked off (maybe Haynes mean with the engine out, idiots). I ponder for a while and decide to take my sidemarkers out. I this section says to remove the one screw on top (the one connecting it to the headlight and to push the light out while I wiggled it at the same time (incase you were wondering they meant wiggle the sidemarker). So I wiggle, and wiggle, I pop it off the back side (side closest to the dirver's door). Then I wiggle some more and more trying to pop off the front side (side closest to head lights)........and hour later I become posses by Bhaal and end up riping the side marker off (not intentionally), and what do I find!?!? The bulb wire right there, right there where I could have reached in and with some manuvering remove it! Without taking it off! Now I have a sidewmarker with a crack right down the middle! Not to mention the surrounding rubber weathers seals were mostly melted off and rubbed on to my paint. I did the other one in 1 minute just by reaching in and replacing it! Easy as hell! So......I ask. Stupidity from my part? Or Haynes wrote a bad manual? Or was I to anxious? I'm still ****ed about it. Well enough is enough. I just had to share this bitter sweet experience with ya'll. Oh and another thing! I still don't have my PIAAs but so far my turn signal and my sidemarker to match up to good. I hope its not too much for a new sidemarker. Then again I don't look foward to installing it.....thanks for listening.......
Old 08-16-2002, 10:06 PM

Re: Darn Haynes Manuals!

the PIAA headlights don't match the polarg accessory bulbs (1157 and 194/168) the 1157's look a lot better with the higher wattage filament on all the time instead of just when you are turning. the polarg's are whiter than the PIAA's. I have the Xtreme white PIAA myself, not satisfied at all. However, the PIAA H3 bulbs match very well with the polarg's. My recommendation, stick with poarg's on the side, PIAA Xtreme white in the fog, and something else for your headlights. Try to match up kelvin temperature to get a nice matching color. 4150-4300K match well. 4000K (advertised for PIAA doesn't cut it. Sorry, just thought you'd like to know, i hope you haven't already ordered them.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:15 PM

Re: Re: Darn Haynes Manuals!

Well the PIAAs have been shipped already . Fog lights I don't have, but plan on purchasing in the future. Any tips as to where to purchase a left side sidemarker for the cheapest?