4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Possible to put a "PRNDL" display in the gauge cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 07:54 PM

Possible to put a "PRNDL" display in the gauge cluster?

I really like Cyrus' new shift boot for his auto. I was thinking about doing something similar in my car, but I wouldn't want to because I wouldn't want to accidentally put it in the wrong gear or something (ex. accidentally be driving in 2 instead of D, etc). The only way that I would do it is if I was able to put a PRNDL display in the gauge cluster like the 5th gens have. This way I would be sure that I was in the right gear. Plus it would be cool to have.

I doubt this would be an easy project, but I was just wondering if anyone has done it.

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 08-22-2002, 07:58 PM
Sin

Re: Possible to put a "PRNDL" display in the gauge cluster?

Originally posted by Nick97SE
I really like Cyrus' new shift boot for his auto. I was thinking about doing something similar in my car, but I wouldn't want to because I wouldn't want to accidentally put it in the wrong gear or something (ex. accidentally be driving in 2 instead of D, etc). The only way that I would do it is if I was able to put a PRNDL display in the gauge cluster like the 5th gens have. This way I would be sure that I was in the right gear. Plus it would be cool to have.

I doubt this would be an easy project, but I was just wondering if anyone has done it.

Thanks,
-Nick
It shouldn't be too hard to do. If you remove the gauge cluster, you will find that between the speedo and tach, there are "lenses" with PRND21 vertically positioned. Not sure about the 21, but I'm sure they are there, atleast they are on my 98' SE 5 spd.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Possible to put a "PRNDL" display in the gauge cluster?

Thanks,
-Nick
Thanks Nick but it's actually Nismo's mod, I just publicized it better than him. ( Lawrence) Anyways it seems like a very difficult task though, I have looked into it. I've been thinking about a really ghetto method, let me explain it. Get several LEDs and run them the positives so they activate with the Accessory jack. But run the grounds to the inner side (very close to the shifter) of the PRND21 setup. Then run a ground to the point on the shift **** where it can come in contact with each of the ground wires. So that when you switch gears each seperate LED is grounded and lights up. I know it's ghetto, and if you have any better ideas please post, but I can't think of anything better.
-Cyrus
Old 08-22-2002, 08:05 PM

Re: Re: Possible to put a "PRNDL" display in the gauge cluster?

Originally posted by Sin

It shouldn't be too hard to do. If you remove the gauge cluster, you will find that between the speedo and tach, there are "lenses" with PRND21 vertically positioned. Not sure about the 21, but I'm sure they are there, atleast they are on my 98' SE 5 spd.
I am pretty sure they added that feature to autos when they redid the odomete in '98. The '95-'97s don't have that.
-Cyrus
Old 08-22-2002, 08:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Possible to put a "PRNDL" display in the gauge cluster?

Originally posted by Vyrus

I am pretty sure they added that feature to autos when they redid the odomete in '98. The '95-'97s don't have that.
-Cyrus
'99 Autos don't have that feature either. On our 99 GLE there is no display on the dash saying which gear we are in. Its only on the actualy shifter base itself.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:17 PM
Sin

Odd how they would make the gauge clusters with them, and never use them. I figured I didn't have them because I had a 5 spd.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Possible to put a "PRNDL" display in the gauge cluster?

-Cyrus

Actually,

on my 96, when I swapped in the SE cluster, ( from a 96 also) I found that both of them had a blank spot/holes for the PRND21 bulbs to be placed in. apparently Maxima/Cefiro's overseas have this gear light in the cluster. If someone could figure out how to make that work on the cluster it would be pretty sweet.

Kevin
Old 08-22-2002, 08:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Possible to put a "PRNDL" display in the gauge cluster?

Originally posted by Kevin

Actually,

on my 96, when I swapped in the SE cluster, ( from a 96 also) I found that both of them had a blank spot/holes for the PRND21 bulbs to be placed in. apparently Maxima/Cefiro's overseas have this gear light in the cluster. If someone could figure out how to make that work on the cluster it would be pretty sweet.

Kevin
So it doesn't have the bulbs in it? I wonder if the next person to intall needles or gauges would take a little extra time and get this thread moving...
-Cyrus
Old 08-22-2002, 09:08 PM
Ludicrous Speed

It's weird how i was thining about this today as I was racing a 4-banger accord. I remember i was going uphill so i was in 2nd...but couldn't remember. The PRND21 would be very handy. Are there any devices that can be placed somewhere around the gauges?
Old 08-22-2002, 09:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Possible to put a "PRNDL" display in the gauge cluster?

Actually,

Kevin
I noticed the same thing when i changed out my gauge bulbs a while back. There was even empty bulb sockets sitting there.

But even if we could figure out how to get them to light wed have to buy the factory Cefiro gauge bezel that has the PRND21 cut out already. And possible the actual film that has the letters in it. I know Cyfero has the aluminum/wood bezels(overlays) and they have the cut outs on them for this option

i wonder if he could get the factory bezels for us

Ant
Old 08-22-2002, 09:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Possible to put a "PRNDL" display in the gauge cluster?

Originally posted by ny96max

I noticed the same thing when i changed out my gauge bulbs a while back. There was even empty bulb sockets sitting there.

But even if we could figure out how to get them to light wed have to buy the factory Cefiro gauge bezel that has the PRND21 cut out already. And possible the actual film that has the letters in it. I know Cyfero has the aluminum/wood bezels(overlays) and they have the cut outs on them for this option

i wonder if he could get the factory bezels for us

Ant
That would be awesome but first we need to find out if it's wired Anthony.
-Cyrus
Old 08-22-2002, 09:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Possible to put a "PRNDL" display in the gauge cluster?

-Cyrus
i could always take mine out and do a lil experement and see if they get power when i shift the tranny

....maybe tommrow since there is nothing booked at my shop

Ant
Old 08-22-2002, 09:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Can't you tell what gear you are in by looking at the tach and speedometer?

If you hit the gas and go backwards, isn't that enough to know you are in reverse?
Old 08-22-2002, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by chris j vurnis

If you hit the gas and go backwards, isn't that enough to know you are in reverse?
your missing our point here bro

Ant
Old 08-22-2002, 10:05 PM

hmm...maybe use them for 5 speeds too... that would be kinda cool.

eric
Old 08-22-2002, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by nismo240sx
hmm...maybe use them for 5 speeds too... that would be kinda cool.

eric
now were gettin somewhere!

Ant
Old 08-22-2002, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by chris j vurnis

Why argue with people who want mods? We don't really need fast cars, we should all ride bicycles...

Also, it will lessen those times you rev the engine in neutral, try to go forward when your forgot to shift from reverse, accidently shift all the way from 1 to D or N at the track, etc etc etc. Besides it'll make us special.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Possible to put a "PRNDL" display in the gauge cluster?

-Cyrus
IIRC,

It was NOT wired. There were places there were resistore were mising and waht not. Sadly, this won't be an easy thing to implement.

Kevin
Old 08-23-2002, 07:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Possible to put a "PRNDL" display in the gauge cluster?

IIRC,

It was NOT wired. There were places there were resistore were mising and waht not. Sadly, this won't be an easy thing to implement.

Kevin
I take it the shifter itself doesn't have a place for wiring already?
Old 08-23-2002, 07:27 AM
Ramius83

If you guys need a chrome/aluminum bezel to work with that already has that area cut out, I have one. Supposedly it is from Japan, for a Cefiro. I will get a pic later on......

Old 08-23-2002, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by Ramius83
If you guys need a chrome/aluminum bezel to work with that already has that area cut out, I have one. Supposedly it is from Japan, for a Cefiro. I will get a pic later on......

Dibs! YGM!
Old 08-23-2002, 08:12 AM
Ramius83

Dibs! YGM!
Here you go Kevin. This is the bezel, it is chome. Right now it still has that clear plastic cover on it to protect it from scratches. So if you "think" you see any blemishes on it in the pic, there are none, it is just that plastic covering on it to protect it.

Old 08-23-2002, 08:14 AM
Ramius83

And by the way, if you are guys are really interested in doing this project and you want to spend "some" money on it, I would recommend getting the gauge cluster out of a 2k+ Maxima. They have it on there and will give you something to start out with. But that is just my .02 cents.

Old 08-23-2002, 08:36 AM

if anyone is successful at doing this mod please do a write-up
Old 08-23-2002, 05:39 PM

This subject has been discussed so many times. The gauges in the 4th gener's have NO connections whatsoever for the shifting gears. It must be pre-wired with "senders" wired to the transmission. I think in order to make this mod work for us, though, is to get a 5th gener repair manual and see how they are wired there. This would definitely be a start. When I came across this when I changed my bulbs, I placed LED's in each of the holes and wired them up for different accessory functions such as fog lights, trunk "open", alarm status LED, etc.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:34 AM

So Kevin,

are you planning on trying this?

-Nick
Old 08-24-2002, 11:37 AM

I might try something differnt actually, I was thinkign of somethign more along the lines of what mixxmaxx did, wire the buls to other accessories. I don't know yet.

Kev
Old 08-24-2002, 01:51 PM

OK. Just curious. I wonder how hard this really is. I guess the only way to find out is to figure out how the 2K unit is wired.

Later,
-Nick
Old 08-24-2002, 04:18 PM

OK. Just curious. I wonder how hard this really is. I guess the only way to find out is to figure out how the 2K unit is wired.

Later,
-Nick
If I can get my hands on a 2k unit, I'd be more then happy to play arround and see if I can jerry rig mine to work that way
Old 08-24-2002, 05:01 PM

I wonder if I should post in this in the 5th gen forum?

-Nick
Old 08-26-2002, 12:36 PM

Check this out.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=146918

What do you guys think?

-Nick
Old 08-26-2002, 03:10 PM

bump
Old 08-26-2002, 06:49 PM

The question is, how do you make a switch to come on at each position. Seems like you could rig one, but how reliable would it be?
Old 08-26-2002, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by 97GLE
The question is, how do you make a switch to come on at each position. Seems like you could rig one, but how reliable would it be?
I wonder if it's possible to use the 5th Gen. switch.

-Nick