4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 09:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Oil Change

Many of us are changing oil and so on.... I as suppose to change my oil at 50k.. actually.. i wanted to change the oil at 50k.. right now i'm at 55k.. gonna change it this weekend... about 2 months ago.. i bough synthetic blend castrol oil with a fram oil filter... i'm not sure if these are good or not.. but i'm askin'.. i did a search and someone said it was good..and someone said it was bad... so should i get new oil.. or is it ok to put that in.. how about the oil filter.. it's not nissan... is it a bad idea.. or should i get a nissan oil filter.. thanx to all!

Old 08-24-2002, 10:27 PM

Punctuation, please.
Old 08-24-2002, 10:36 PM

Re: Oil Change

Originally posted by ZeRo MaX
Many of us are changing oil and so on.... I as suppose to change my oil at 50k.. actually.. i wanted to change the oil at 50k.. right now i'm at 55k.. gonna change it this weekend... about 2 months ago.. i bough synthetic blend castrol oil with a fram oil filter... i'm not sure if these are good or not.. but i'm askin'.. i did a search and someone said it was good..and someone said it was bad... so should i get new oil.. or is it ok to put that in.. how about the oil filter.. it's not nissan... is it a bad idea.. or should i get a nissan oil filter.. thanx to all!
Your choice in oil brand is fine, changes every 3K and dino-juice is good enough. You want to spend more on Mobil-1, have at it. You won't own your Max long enough to warrant the money you will spend on Mob-1 over the life of ownership.
Besides, a good quality filter is the world of differance. And your Fram aint it. If you still have your receipt, take it back for a Purolater, or take the cash and buy the Nissan filter.
JMHO
Old 08-25-2002, 07:06 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: Oil Change

Originally posted by nfafan

Your choice in oil brand is fine, changes every 3K and dino-juice is good enough. You want to spend more on Mobil-1, have at it. You won't own your Max long enough to warrant the money you will spend on Mob-1 over the life of ownership.
Besides, a good quality filter is the world of differance. And your Fram aint it. If you still have your receipt, take it back for a Purolater, or take the cash and buy the Nissan filter.
JMHO
Actually Castrol Syntec Blend is one of the poorest oils from an empirical standpoint. It offers no advantages over Castrol's excellent GTX conventional oil.

Mobil 1's Drive Clean Blend costs the same and is a better blend oil if you insist on going that route.

The Fram filter choice is also a poor one.

Syntec Blend + Fram filter = relatively poor overall oil protection when going with Castrol GTX + STP/SuperTech filter would yield better protection for LESS money.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Oil Change

Originally posted by nfafan

You want to spend more on Mobil-1, have at it. You won't own your Max long enough to warrant the money you will spend on Mob-1 over the life of ownership.
Whyyy do you say this?
Old 08-25-2002, 11:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Oil Change

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Actually Castrol Syntec Blend is one of the poorest oils from an empirical standpoint. It offers no advantages over Castrol's excellent GTX conventional oil.

Mobil 1's Drive Clean Blend costs the same and is a better blend oil if you insist on going that route.

The Fram filter choice is also a poor one.

Syntec Blend + Fram filter = relatively poor overall oil protection when going with Castrol GTX + STP/SuperTech filter would yield better protection for LESS money.
So what oil filter is best for the max? because i always have used fram thinking all oil filters are all the same.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:32 PM

Oil changes every 3000 miles, regardless of oil type or driving conditions, is a waste of money. The consensus among people here on the BBS (over the past 5 years I have posting here), is that conventional oil every 5k, synthetic even longer (7.5k - 10k).

As for oil filters, nothing beats the Nissan OEM filter. It is very high quality as good as the $12 mobil one filters, and its cheap at the Nissan dealer, around $5 each.

The oil question about type and intervals and filters has been beaten to death. Use the search function and you will find enough old posts to keep you busy reading for an entire afternoon.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Oil Change

Originally posted by tmkforever

Whyyy do you say this?
Because Mob-1 is a great oil and offers great protection over the long run, and...

you'll be long bored with your car and be driving something else long before those many thousands of miles tick by to the point where you say "man I'm sure glad I spent $3.00+ qt all those years".

The other poster had a good point, Castrol GTX. Superb oil, pure Dino juice. Regular changes w/ good filters.

Your use of more expensive Mob-1 while you own it is a favor you are doing for the Next Owner of your Max. Which is fine if your going to have your kids inherit the car.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i just go to my dealer to get an oil change.. nissan filter and nissan dino-oil.. i go about every 3000 miles...
Old 08-25-2002, 07:55 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Eric L.
As for oil filters, nothing beats the Nissan OEM filter. It is very high quality as good as the $12 mobil one filters, and its cheap at the Nissan dealer, around $5 each.
Current research indicates the possibility of equal performing oversized filter applications for $2 to $3 each.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Current research indicates the possibility of equal performing oversized filter applications for $2 to $3 each.
Are you referring to the 2 for $5 Pennzoil filters they have at Kragen?