4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Opinion: Budget Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 09:42 AM

Opinion: Budget Y-Pipe

I have a stock exhaust setup and just added a mandrel bent Budget Stainless Steel Y-Pipe. Jeff at Maximum Tuning installed it for $60 dollars and I was out the door. The performance was immediately felt as I was hitting 60 mph with less effort. The sound around 1.5-2.5 rpm’s is a deep buzzing sound which does not bother me and is pretty good. However, the same day I got my Y-Pipe installed I drove over 150 miles and at WOT the sound is rather repulsive (Maybe it needs more break in and getting used to). It sounds like a loud mid range buzz. I could try to get a recording of it but it will be hard to perceive the sound. Overall, I do not have experience with other Y-Pipes but for $145 Mandrel bent Y-Pipe I give it an A-. I hope that once I replace the muffler and get some sort of B-Pipe it will sound very good at WOT.

P.S. The smell is minor and goes away after 50 miles. Just takes time to break in and the paint to burn off.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:48 AM
dko
duck and cover

Re: Opinion: Budget Y-Pipe

you buy cheap and that's what you get. i would say look around the for sale forums for months in advance. it's alot of work, but it can save you a chunk of cash and you'll prob get a better pipe. with all the accidents and larger diameter piping people are switching to, you should be able to get a damn good pipe for not too much money. the other thing is, how will that budget pipe hold up in the coming years?

i got a cattman SS pipe with a brand new flex section and i have no doubts whatsoever. as for noise, the only thing you can make out is a bit more aggressive exhaust tone in the cabin past 4K. also, when cruising really slow on a quiet night you can hear a light gurgling at 1.5K when going below 10mph. that's without the radio on and in the dead of night and only if you have driven this particular car back to back stock vs. with the Y.

outside the car it sounds bone stock. that is until i get my frankencar!