4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Drag application wheel/tire combos

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 10:24 PM
Sin

Drag application wheel/tire combos

I definetly plan on getting some 18" rims with something like 235/40/18 tires eventually, to fill out the massive wheel wells, but I don't want to reduce my dragging abilities just for the 18"s. So I was thinking about saving my stock SE rims, and mounting slicks on it for when I want to go to the track. However, if I did, I would only mount slicks on the front, and run the 18" on the back (don't worry I'll keep the diameters close, or disable the ABS when I do). I would do this so as to reduce rotating mass.

And the big question I'm asking is, how much of a difference would there be in running lighter 16" wheel/tire combo compared to a heavier 18" wheel/tire combo on the rear when drag racing? If it's not going to have much of an affect at all, I'll probably just leave the 18"s on and run the lighter slick combo up front. If it will have a large effect, I'll mount some narrow as possible, light as possible tires on the stock SE rims for the rear, if not, just leave the 18"s on.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

We talked a lot about this today and a few days ago. Chech the search for my thread on wheel wieght with 18s and check the racing rims or something like that thread thats right near the top right now.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:44 PM

Big Rims/Wide Tires-Not always good
Check out this thread
Talks about the probelms with big rims and acceleration.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:55 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Re: Drag application wheel/tire combos

Originally posted by Sin
I definetly plan on getting some 18" rims with something like 235/40/18 tires eventually, to fill out the massive wheel wells, but I don't want to reduce my dragging abilities just for the 18"s. So I was thinking about saving my stock SE rims, and mounting slicks on it for when I want to go to the track. However, if I did, I would only mount slicks on the front, and run the 18" on the back (don't worry I'll keep the diameters close, or disable the ABS when I do). I would do this so as to reduce rotating mass.

And the big question I'm asking is, how much of a difference would there be in running lighter 16" wheel/tire combo compared to a heavier 18" wheel/tire combo on the rear when drag racing? If it's not going to have much of an affect at all, I'll probably just leave the 18"s on and run the lighter slick combo up front. If it will have a large effect, I'll mount some narrow as possible, light as possible tires on the stock SE rims for the rear, if not, just leave the 18"s on.
Why would have to disable the ABS? Right now, I am running on 17 inch tires on the back and 15 inch oem gxe steelies. Am I harming the abs? How would u disable it?

Iilac
Old 08-26-2002, 07:03 AM

I took my car to the track and I have 245/40 18s, I did get some okay 60ft times 2.26 the time slip is on my home page #2, ran a 13.8. @104. the thing at the track thats killing everyone is traction!!!!!look at most drag times 108 at 11.5 but the 60 foot times are killer. If you mount some slicks and launch properly you should be good with nice lower times!!
Old 08-26-2002, 08:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Drag application wheel/tire combos

Originally posted by Iilac

Why would have to disable the ABS? Right now, I am running on 17 inch tires on the back and 15 inch oem gxe steelies. Am I harming the abs? How would u disable it?

Iilac
ABS uses speed sensors at each wheel to determine if one is slipping/locked. If the circumference of your front tires is smaller than that of the rears, they will be spinning faster at the same vehicle speed. I don’t know a lot about ABS, but if it gets applied whenever there is a difference in speed, it will engage, on the rear (slower) wheels, whenever the brakes are applied. (Can anyone confirm this)

I would tend to think that the ABS only kicks in when a wheel has locked, or is rotating considerably slower than others. If this were the case, then different tire circumferences would not be a problem.

If you’re running similar tire circumferences, then it won’t make a difference.

-Sryth...
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
'98 SE 5spd, Pebble Beige, PRCAI, Stillen Y, Stillen FSTB, ACT clutch.
Pacesetter STS to be installed this week!