4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1st to 2nd gear kinda rough

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 01:19 PM

1st to 2nd gear kinda rough

Hello all, I'm new here and was hoping you can help me with something. I have an 1996 I30T (yes, I know it's not a maxima but I couldn't find forums for the I30, since it's basically the same car as the Maxima SE, I didn't think it'll hurt to post here). Anyways, I notice that during gradual acceleration, somewhere between 10-15mph the car punches and jerks a bit like as if it's shifting hard. The car was never like this before and it has always been silky smooth throughout acceleration. Let me know what you all think. It's an auto by the way with 65k miles. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2002, 01:41 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Have you checked the trans fluid level lately?
Have you ever had the transmissin serviced? By serviced I mean the fluid changed or even the transmissions flushed?

As the fluid gets old, the shifts get a bit rough. If you've never had it serviced I'd suggest you have it flushed out. Your local dealer can do this for you or a reputable oil change place as well.

If your shifts are still hard, you may have valve body problems.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Have you checked the trans fluid level lately?
Have you ever had the transmissin serviced? By serviced I mean the fluid changed or even the transmissions flushed?

As the fluid gets old, the shifts get a bit rough. If you've never had it serviced I'd suggest you have it flushed out. Your local dealer can do this for you or a reputable oil change place as well.

If your shifts are still hard, you may have valve body problems.
My car was starting to make rough shifts and it went away when I got my tranny fluid flushed.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:49 PM

Try using Redline synthetic fluid. It helped to smooth out the 1st to 2nd shift.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:58 PM

How much?

Thanks for all your replies, I haven't flushed it out since I bought the car used about a year ago. I will definitely try that, how much does it usually cost for that service? Is it something you can do on your own?
Old 08-26-2002, 03:52 PM
living out of a maxima...

I believe it has to be done by a mechanic because they use some machine to run the oil through the tranny.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by JeffesonM
I believe it has to be done by a mechanic because they use some machine to run the oil through the tranny.
You can flush it yourself by doing this:

Below are some step by step instructions that deadrx7conv. wrote from another post:

Or, buy 5 feet 3/8"ID (I think) clear hose($2) at HomeDepot/Lowes/Plumbingsupply....
Connect(use hose clamp) to either A)the pressure line from transmission(see ATF COOLER FAQ) or B)connect to transcooler exit point(flushes cooler).
Drain/refill transmission(~4.5 quarts).
Overfill by 4 quarts(optional) and start motor. Dirty ATF will be pumped out of clear hose into container of your choice. Do not let ATF pump run dry(it will gurgle/burp/bubble before running dry). Always monitor fluid level in container. Stop before the amount that exits is greater than amount used. And, if fluid is not clean, add ~4 more quarts and redo. You will see the fluid in the hose change color(means you are done).
Best if you have 2nd person(to yell at) in car(to shut off engine when container hits the 4 quart mark) with key while you hold the hose(don't hit neighbor's house with ATF).
This will flush your torque converter. The new fluid will displace the old fluid just like the flush machine. And it will save you money because you are not wasting new fluid(drain/refill method).
Old 08-30-2002, 11:47 AM

I guess synthetic fluid is the way to go? Redline, Mobil 1, are they fine? Should I do this when I have my 60k service done (soon)?