4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tell me why I should buy a MAX over a Accord...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 04:14 AM

Tell me why I should buy a MAX over a Accord...?

Ok heres the deal.I drive a 92' Civic Si with 180,xxx miles and its (Stock)slow ,uncomforable and its just having to many problems right now that I dont feel like messing with.So I want to get something that comfy, Auto, kinda quick and that wont break down.

So I came up with this:

5G Accord EX (94-97) 4Dr Auto.
Either build the F22 thats in it and slap a cheap 6psi Greddy Turbo kit on it or just slap a H22A lude engine in it.
Lower it sound system and drive it.

That or a 4G MAXIMA
About the same thing.

Anyone have a pic of 4G MAX with a body kit?I dont like the front becasue it has so many holes in the bumper and grill etc...Has anyone cleaned that up before?It seems bulky.That and most of the body kits Ive seen make the front look even more bulky like ground effects instead of a body kit.

Thanks for the opinions
Old 08-29-2002, 05:11 AM
Administrator

because you are poor and maxima's have sh!tty resale value..
Old 08-29-2002, 05:12 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Well, a stock 4th gen Maxima 5spd is still faster than a 6psi turbo F22 Accord. We have guys running in the 14s with no mods.

But, the Accord is built better and has a better suspension design than the Maxima.

Trust me, if you drive a 5spd Max and a 5spd accord...there will be no question why you should get the Max. It has 80% of it's peak torque available from 1800 to 5000 RPM. This makes it very easy to drive quickly. You dont have to plan your shifts and driving around a narrow power peak.

Old 08-29-2002, 06:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Tell me why I should buy a MAX over a Accord...?

The modded turbo accord you would build up would give about the same performance as the Maxima, NA, with maybe a few NA mods, like Y pipe, B,VI ,intake etc. Given that, the Max would win in terms of longevity, speed and reliability. Also, the low end torque of the Maxima V6 is un-beatable, turbo accord or no. Lastly, turbos roast motor oil like Wesson on a frying pan. Other than that, I love turbos

DW

Originally posted by P()()RB@Y
Ok heres the deal.I drive a 92' Civic Si with 180,xxx miles and its (Stock)slow ,uncomforable and its just having to many problems right now that I dont feel like messing with.So I want to get something that comfy, Auto, kinda quick and that wont break down.

So I came up with this:

5G Accord EX (94-97) 4Dr Auto.
Either build the F22 thats in it and slap a cheap 6psi Greddy Turbo kit on it or just slap a H22A lude engine in it.
Lower it sound system and drive it.

That or a 4G MAXIMA
About the same thing.

Anyone have a pic of 4G MAX with a body kit?I dont like the front becasue it has so many holes in the bumper and grill etc...Has anyone cleaned that up before?It seems bulky.That and most of the body kits Ive seen make the front look even more bulky like ground effects instead of a body kit.

Thanks for the opinions
Old 08-29-2002, 06:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, I just bought a '97 se 5speed and sold a '99 (6th gen Accord) so I have a little insight on it though it might not be pertinant to the 5th gen's...

Accord: Fairly fast (v6) but available only with an autmatic if you chose the 6. On stock suspension, handled ok - it wallowed around a lot (even from new) but it seemed to hold the road better. Seemed to be well constructed and had 0 problems with it in 3 1/2 years. Brakes were mediocre. It had 4 wheel disks with abs and the peddle feel was awful. (like stepping on a rotten grapefruit!) Stopping distances were just "ok". Had a nice sounding exhaust/intake sound at full throttle and high rev's.

Maxima: MUCH faster and quicker with the 5 speed. Engine quieter and seemed more refined than the Accord. On stock suspension seems to handle better on smooth roads and FAR less wallow. Steering was more direct and seems slightly quicker ratio than the accord had. Doesn't seem quite as well constructed or as completely engineered as the Accord. (Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad it just doesn't seem as good.) MUCH MUCH MUCH more fun to drive than the Accord. Hardly any intake or exhaust noise at all - ever...

Both are stock to stock and both have problem areas that can be addressed with aftermarket parts.

One thing to think about is the stress you will be putting on an engine by doing the turbo versus almost the same performance stock on the Maxima.

Last thing price... I sold the '99 Accord for about $14000 (41k miles) and bought the '97 Maxima for about $7600 ('96k miles). I wanted to trade down in cost but I don't feel that I traded down in cars...

Good luck,

Jim
Old 08-29-2002, 06:58 AM
Administrator

who are you?

and on a differnet note..why havn't you email me back..
Originally posted by mzmtg
Well, a stock 4th gen Maxima 5spd is still faster than a 6psi turbo F22 Accord. We have guys running in the 14s with no mods.

But, the Accord is built better and has a better suspension design than the Maxima.

Trust me, if you drive a 5spd Max and a 5spd accord...there will be no question why you should get the Max. It has 80% of it's peak torque available from 1800 to 5000 RPM. This makes it very easy to drive quickly. You dont have to plan your shifts and driving around a narrow power peak.

Old 08-29-2002, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
because you are poor and maxima's have sh!tty resale value..
That's pretty much my reason for getting another Maxima.

Old 08-29-2002, 07:39 AM

Having had/used both cars of various years, I'd still stick with the Maxima if you like having fun driving. Accords are really boring; no torque, non-agressive cams...but this is my personal experience.

And the things about quality of car? BS. If you lower your Accord and mod it, it's going to have the same issues as a modded maxima. My mother has a completely stock fully-loaded 96 Maxima SE and it's fine. No problems.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:46 AM

The Maxima
Bottom line is that the Accord is for your wife and the Maxima is for you.....you make the choice
Old 08-29-2002, 07:50 AM

I'd still take the stock Accord's suspension over the stock Maxima's suspension any day of the week. Other than that, the Accord isn't "fun" to drive and the interior really irks me. I'm never comfortable in the seat when I drive my mom's Accord.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:12 AM

One word: TORQUE
Old 08-29-2002, 08:44 AM

Get a Maxima because it starts with an "M" and ends with an "A" but the Accord starts with "A" and ends with "D". You see what I'm getting at?

Neither do I, so get whatever you have a feel for.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:53 AM

Don't forget a 94 - 97 Accord has a weak 170HP V6 engine.... that just ain't right... and the interior feels smaller...
Old 08-29-2002, 08:56 AM

Maxima's simply because there are SO many more Accords on the road. Ratio is like 4 to 1. About 400,000 or so Accords sold a year to about 100,000 or so Maximas.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:59 AM
I'm needing a caw

Where is Craig Macky when you need him?? LOL

SVT SVT SVT SVT SVT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by iwannabmw
One word: TORQUE
Old 08-29-2002, 09:17 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Get the Accord if you only want to look fast.
Get the Maxima if you actually want to be fast.

BTW, Honda guys have blown up F-series engines on stock boost. If you think it's going to be reliable with boost you're mistaken. And the F-series is a very BAD engine to build up on. It responds very poorly to mods. And an H22A swap with an automatic is pointless. You'll still be slower than a Maxima auto or even an Accord V6 even after the swap.

Just get a Maxima. Their resale value sucks so that makes them awesome buys used

Plus, since freakin F&F, every god-freakin-damned Gen5 Accord I've seen is seriously riced out. Every freakin one. It's like there are no more STOCK Gen5 Accords around anymore. I'm serious. Maybe it's just where I live, but it's just disgusting. Seeing 4-cyl auto econo-boxes modded with alteezas, huge wings, dropped to the ground, rims, ugghh!!!!
Old 08-29-2002, 09:32 AM

This may be irrelevant, but I like the definition of a Maxima, it sounds better and it lives up to its name I know, I have too much time on my hands...

Main Entry: accord
Function: noun
1 a : AGREEMENT, CONFORMITY <acted in accord with the company's policy> b : a formal reaching of agreement : COMPACT, TREATY
2 : balanced interrelationship : HARMONY
3 obsolete : ASSENT
4 : voluntary or spontaneous impulse to act <gave generously of their own accord>

Main Entry: max·i·mum
Inflected Form(s): plural max·i·ma /-s&-m&/; or maximums /-s(&-)m&mz/
1 a : the greatest quantity or value attainable or attained b : the period of highest, greatest, or utmost development
2 : an upper limit allowed (as by a legal authority) or allowable (as by the circumstances of a particular case)
3 : the largest of a set of numbers; specifically : the largest value assumed by a real-valued continuous function defined on a closed interval
Old 08-29-2002, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by blackhawk
This may be irrelevant, but I like the definition of a Maxima, it sounds better and it lives up to its name I know, I have too much time on my hands...

Main Entry: accord
1 a : AGREEMENT, CONFORMITY <acted in accord with the company's policy> b : a formal reaching of agreement : COMPACT, TREATY
2 : balanced interrelationship : HARMONY
3 obsolete : ASSENT
4 : voluntary or spontaneous impulse to act <gave generously of their own accord>

Main Entry: max·i·mum
Inflected Form(s): plural max·i·ma /-s&-m&/; or maximums /-s(&-)m&mz/
1 a : the greatest quantity or value attainable or attained b : the period of highest, greatest, or utmost development
2 : an upper limit allowed (as by a legal authority) or allowable (as by the circumstances of a particular case)
3 : the largest of a set of numbers; specifically : the largest value assumed by a real-valued continuous function defined on a closed interval
mintishniggity. Good one!
Old 08-29-2002, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Get the Accord if you only want to look fast.
Get the Maxima if you actually want to be fast.

*snip*
Steve, I've always wanted to ask your opinion about the suspensions though. After driving my 95 Maxima and now, sometimes driving my mom's 00 Accord, I can seriously say that I like the Accord's stock suspension better.

Yeah I know it's just one component of the car, but I've travelled on this one stretch of highway many times and with my Maxima, I felt like I was going to flip over if I pushed this one particular turn at just 70 mph. With the RSB in, I could push the turn @ 90 and I felt safer but I think I would have needed a drop to feel secure in pushing that one particular turn.

But in my mom's Accord, stock of course, I can push the corner at 90 and feel perfectly fine and feel secure doing it.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by clee130

That's pretty much my reason for getting another Maxima.

or you miss your baby and want to replace it clee
Old 08-29-2002, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by clee130
Steve, I've always wanted to ask your opinion about the suspensions though. After driving my 95 Maxima and now, sometimes driving my mom's 00 Accord, I can seriously say that I like the Accord's stock suspension better.
The Max's rear beam definitely gets "busy" on bumpy turns, but the stiffer SE suspension feels more "hooked up" and I can make turns and maneuvers in my Maxima that I wouldn't even think of doing in the Accord V6.

The Accord's IRS is much more stable on the rough stuff, but the softer suspension makes it less tossable and agile. But you can fix that with mods. From a system standpoint, the Accord's suspension is better for "real world" purposes where roads are not always smooth.

Cruising at 70-80 on the bumpy DC Beltway with lots of turns and maniac drivers, I'd much rather have my Accord's suspension than the Max's.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:31 AM

i'd like the max all the way, but accords are quality cars, but personally it's the max for me, suspension can be changed by the way If that's a big deal for all you loving the accord suspension
Old 08-29-2002, 11:36 AM

What's the point of posting this question on a Maxima forum? Waht do you expect everyone to say?
Old 08-29-2002, 11:43 AM

The Max's rear beam definitely gets "busy" on bumpy turns, but the stiffer SE suspension feels more "hooked up" and I can make turns and maneuvers in my Maxima that I wouldn't even think of doing in the Accord V6.

The Accord's IRS is much more stable on the rough stuff, but the softer suspension makes it less tossable and agile. But you can fix that with mods. From a system standpoint, the Accord's suspension is better for "real world" purposes where roads are not always smooth.

Cruising at 70-80 on the bumpy DC Beltway with lots of turns and maniac drivers, I'd much rather have my Accord's suspension than the Max's.
I dunno, the rear of my car is fine now...springs and struts/shocks make the car pretty awesome. I can't say about coilovers, but those are pretty drastic anyway. FSTB and RSB help as well (grr I'm still waiting for my RSB).
Old 08-29-2002, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Lime

I dunno, the rear of my car is fine now...springs and struts/shocks make the car pretty awesome. I can't say about coilovers, but those are pretty drastic anyway. FSTB and RSB help as well (grr I'm still waiting for my RSB).
Me and Steve were talking about stock.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:30 PM

Go test both!

I owned a 91 Accord, now I own a 97 Maxima. In my opinion The Hondas are good cars but a bit over rated. The Maxima is a better car in practically all aspects. To mention practical things, the Max is a lot more confortable and cheaper, has more space in the rear seat, it has a stronger engine. In addition the car is more luxurious . My car has leather interior, automatic climate control, wood (imitation) details, power everything including front seats, bose sound system, spoiler, fog lights, alloy wheels... Everytime some one gets in my car they are impressed by the upscale look of the interiors. You could still find some cars with factory warranty if they have less than 60,000 miles. I bought mine with only 38,000 and 2 years of warranty still applicable.

In general it will be tough to find an Accord that has all these options at a comparable price. And even if you find it it will still be smaller and slower.

I think there is only one way for you to decide. Get in your Civic and go test drive some units. I tested my Max and compared it to a 98 Boneville SSEi with less miles. You already know the result.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:55 PM

oh yeah one other thing...the back seat can fit a travel trunk...found that out today. Very roomy.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:47 PM

94-97 accord?? please....i can't find one thing on that car that i like...my friend has a riced out 97...wat a piece of crap.
go with the max...but post this question in a reverse order on an accord site....but be happy with which ever 1 u get
Old 08-29-2002, 05:21 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Where is Craig Macky when you need him?? LOL

SVT SVT SVT SVT SVT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been tryin' to cut back on my posts Jeffrey, but, you asked for it....

Kid-

If you get the Accord prepare to be looked down upon by every other non-honda enthusiast. Well, for power anyways - which the Accord DOESN'T have.

Both cars are plain looking stock, but the Accord just screams "I am a freezer geezer" but the Max still has a hint of sport. No honda(excluding acura) except the S2000 is an enthusiasts car. There is no power to be found.

Now, to get to the point Jeffy makes fun of me for...TORQUE. Something that Honda has no concept of. Screw their thin whimpy "power" bands. That's why we call honDUH's torqueless wonders..A 4G auto max would destroy any pre-99 V6 accord and just plain Embarrasse the 4-bangers. A 5spd Maxima? Well, lets just avoid that. I can't think of another naturally aspired Jap V6 engine torqueir then the Max, or that makes it's peak torque at such low RPM's. But, hell, enough about Maxima's...if you wanna get a car with tons of mods and join a club with 16-year-old pimple faced kids with fart can mufflers and the "new awesome chrome taillights!", then get an accord and never come here again.

You know what, if you even have to ask "which should I choose a Max or an Accord" you don't deserve to have a Max. You probubly couldn't handle the power anyways...I can just imagine you driving it still thinking your in some honDUH. You floor it and lose control and wreck it. Coming from a civic to a Maxima would be like me going to the new '03 supercharged Cobra w/slicks and upgraded boost.

Just stick with the Accord. The Maxima is too much power for you son.

-Craig

*Much thanks to Jeffrey1992SportEdition for enspiring me to post again*
Old 08-29-2002, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Kevin
What's the point of posting this question on a Maxima forum? Waht do you expect everyone to say?
Get the Honduh...
It will save you lots of money cause it will be hard to speed when in the case of a Max... You'll want to speed all the time cause the torque feeling is gooood...
But What do I know.

What do the people on the Accord forums say???
Old 08-29-2002, 06:44 PM

Here is why you should not even buy a V6 Accord...

Old 08-29-2002, 06:53 PM

V-Tec.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:15 PM

And that pink line is the the 200 hp Honda motor, not the 170 hp one in the 94-97 Accord. Do we even dare to put the 170 HP dyno up against the mighty VQ

DW

Old 08-29-2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
And that pink line is the the 200 hp Honda motor, not the 170 hp one in the 94-97 Accord. Do we even dare to put the 170 HP dyno up against the mighty VQ:laugh :

DW
But the HonDUH guys say....

UR VQ suz!! Our V-Tech engines have MORE HORSEPOWER so go home and cry. Ward's auto world mah azz!

Then I show them that chart above with the torque, and this one below...

And they all get real quite all of a sudden and then ironically a bunch of new threads start popping up about people selling their cars.

Old 08-30-2002, 04:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here's an idea steve, compare apples to apples!

Lets see, vq30: DOHC, premium fuel
J30A1 (accord engine): SOHC, regular unleaded, low compression

If you want to make an accurate comparison of Nissan vs. Honda 6 cylinder engines then you should at least compare two engines with similar characteristics. Of course the vq30 has a more usable powerband and is stronger than the j30, it's got twice the number of cams and runs on premium fuel under what i believe (correct me if i'm wrong) is a higher compression ratio. A better comparison would be honda's c30 dohc high compression V6. A performance engine just like the maxima's. Oh yeah, but you'd get flamed for that graph on a nissan board, as this engine COMPLETELY outclasses even the mighty vq35 with half a litre less displacement. But steve is absolutely right (what else is new ) if you're looking for speed and that wonderful thing called torque get the max no question, if you're looking for a decently powerful reliable investment that won't be a heap worth a tenth of what you bought it for in five years get the accord.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:09 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by VAV6

If you want to make an accurate comparison of Nissan vs. Honda 6 cylinder engines then you should at least compare two engines with similar characteristics. Of course the vq30 has a more usable powerband and is stronger than the j30, it's got twice the number of cams and runs on premium fuel under what i believe (correct me if i'm wrong) is a higher compression ratio. A better comparison would be honda's c30 dohc high compression V6. A performance engine just like the maxima's. Oh yeah, but you'd get flamed for that graph on a nissan board, as this engine COMPLETELY outclasses even the mighty vq35 with half a litre less displacement. But steve is absolutely right (what else is new ) if you're looking for speed and that wonderful thing called torque get the max no question, if you're looking for a decently powerful reliable investment that won't be a heap worth a tenth of what you bought it for in five years get the accord.
That is an apples to apples test. The VQ30 equipped Maxima and the J30A1 equipped Accord are direct competitors in the market place. Similar pricing, sizes and features. If you want to bring the C30 into it, then let's compare the C30 to the VQ35DE used in the G35(260 hp) or 350Z(287 hp).

You need to keep your comparisons realistic. VQ30DE and J30A1 are competeing with each other for the same kind of buyer.

I think I need to use this for your post:
Old 08-30-2002, 05:21 AM
Administrator

you went from a 5spd 4th Gen Maxima to a Auto 6th Gen Accord? you must be the dumbest person on the planet..

Old 08-30-2002, 05:29 AM

99 Accord V6 Coupe with a few mods.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:16 AM

Here's an idea steve, compare apples to apples!:-D

Both are 3.0 Liter mid-sized family beater engines. How is this not a fair comparison?

If you want to make an accurate comparison of Nissan vs. Honda 6 cylinder engines then you should at least compare two engines with similar characteristics. A better comparison would be honda's c30 dohc high compression V6. A performance engine just like the maxima's. Oh yeah, but you'd get flamed for that graph on a nissan board, as this engine COMPLETELY outclasses even the mighty vq35 with half a litre less displacement.
What was that you were saying about apples to apples? NSX engine vs VQ
Old 08-30-2002, 08:25 AM

I posted over at Honda-tech and its about the same way.

BTW just curious, how much does the Max weigh?I know the hondas dont have a bunch of torque and Max owners brag about power and all but theres no times to back it up.

I mean a 5spd. Accord 5G with a H22A swap will pull mid 14s in the 1/4.That with a Turbo can do low 13's Im sure.I dont know.

I wish I enough for the 5G Max.I just dont like some of the body lines on the 4G.

Not flaming just thoughts

Quick Reply: Tell me why I should buy a MAX over a Accord...?