4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Walbro fuel pump install = not fun!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 09:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Walbro fuel pump install = not fun!

I'm about done with the installation of the Walbro high pressure fuel pump. Overall, the install wasn't hard, but I ran into a few little things that just drove me crazy.

My gas level was very, very low. The gas light was on. Even with that, I thought gas would spill out some. To my surprise, when I took off the hoses, no gas spill out. That's the good news. I had a problem with the little clip that was on the stock fuel pump. I couldn't get it off at first, I didn't want to break it. Trying to put the darn little clip onto the Walbro was even harder. Darn it! It took me awhile, but I finally got the darn clip in. Then, I had to put the Walbro pump back into the holder. That wasn't fun either. I got the Walbro back in, but then I couldn't get the plastic top back on. I struggle with it for awhile, but still couldn't get it to fit back in right. So, I got to sort of fit in a bit, but not clipped on like it was before. I just left it like that. Shouldn't be a problem I think. Not fun, not fun at all.

I'm not completely finish yet. The Walbro fuel pump is in, but I have yet to remove the Vortech aux fuel pump, relay, and wires.

Also, I did this at night. So, it was hard to see. Even though I had a portable light, it was still difficult to see at times.

Hopefully, everything will go well. If it does, then the problems I ran into will be worth it.

Overall rating:
Difficulty 1-5: 3(if not for the little problems I ran into, it would be a 2).

Fun factor 1-5: 1(actually, I want to say a -5!)

Man, I'm tired because I was in a kneeing position most of the time.

Good night!
Old 08-30-2002, 09:24 PM

Hey I feel your pain, on my 99 I read in the tune-up guide that the pump is just attached to the top of the round tank cap that unbolts from under the seat...boy was I wrong...I had to remove the plugs and hoses completely, remove a curved plastic surround...then fish and fanagle the strainer back and up to lift the pump out...then to go back in I had to unclib the rectangle pump bracket...going back in after that was alright but I had a FULL tank of fuel and was irritated that the design was so different...and man is it loud compared to the stock pump.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by WizzaMax
and man is it loud compared to the stock pump.

I hooked up the Vortech aux fuel pump to stay on all the time. I'm sure the Walbro won't be as loud as that. I can barely even hear my SC with the Vortech fuel pump.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:09 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

The Walbro has been as quiet as stock since my install...

I revised my install page as well with a diagram of an alternate FP removal from tank.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Chunger

I revised my install page as well with a diagram of an alternate FP removal from tank.
The white bracket cover top of mine isn't securely in as I stated. Should I worry? Do I need to redo it/adjust to make the cover fit right?
Old 08-31-2002, 10:00 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by Cumalot

The white bracket cover top of mine isn't securely in as I stated. Should I worry? Do I need to redo it/adjust to make the cover fit right?
It should snap back in place... if not, your pump is not seated properly.
Old 08-31-2002, 03:18 PM
Administrator

yeah that little black clips is a b!tch.. i spent 20 mins tryign to find it.. i didn't know you were boosted again
Old 08-31-2002, 03:54 PM

I'm done! Everything is up and running. No leaks...yes! The Walbro is pretty quiet, I couldn't really hear it. Then again, after listening to the Vortech fuel pump, I guess anything would seem much quieter. I also install the three new carbon fiber Autometer gauges. All I can is they look great! However, geez...so many wires...lol. It's not a pretty site, I wouldn't win a clear setup award that's for sure. I even got the fuel pressure gauge to work. For whatever reason when I had the Vortech fuel pump in there, it didn't work. Now it works.

Sprint: yes, I'm powered by crickets once again.

Next up is the oil cooler. That should be fun...or not.

Btw, I also got the one step colder spark plugs in...finally! Stupid company that I ordered from took forever to get it to me. Btw, shouldn't my EGT reading be a bit lower now with the one step colder spark plugs? I didn't notice much difference in the EGT reading.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Chunger

Hey, where did you guys order them from? Would I be able to pick one up at like Kragen's or Pep Boy's? I'm kind of short on time for this piece. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:51 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by MaxedBandit

Hey, where did you guys order them from? Would I be able to pick one up at like Kragen's or Pep Boy's? I'm kind of short on time for this piece. Thanks for the info.
http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/

You won't need the whole DSM install kit... just the pump itself...
Old 08-31-2002, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot

Btw, I also got the one step colder spark plugs in...finally! Stupid company that I ordered from took forever to get it to me. Btw, shouldn't my EGT reading be a bit lower now with the one step colder spark plugs? I didn't notice much difference in the EGT reading.
You will not notice a huge difference in the EGT readings with the colder plugs. The plugs are only as a preventative to detonation. I have 2 steps colder and it runs like crap when cold, but then it clears out when warm.

I've installed my pump in and out 4 times now, so I have it down to less than 30 mins install time. The worst part is the stupid little plastic cage, that's a pain to get to go back on sometimes. You should see how it feels when you're diggin in the tank and you cut your arm on the sharp edges and dip it in the gas....now that's fun. You also have to be sure and not let the O-ring fall down into the gas. It makes it expand and will not ever seal again and your car will stink like gas everytime you put gas in. I had to go to the dealer and buy a new one along with 4 screws that stripped from the cover.
Old 08-31-2002, 08:27 PM

loud the first 1000 or so miles but then it quites down
Old 08-31-2002, 08:33 PM
Sin

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
loud the first 1000 or so miles but then it quites down
Or do you just get used to it?
Old 08-31-2002, 08:37 PM

It's not loud at all to me. I do have the V1 SC though, so that is pretty loud itself.

Now that I have done the pump install once, the next time I do it, I'm sure I can do it faster.