4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Removing the housing from the car...taillight clearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2000, 07:29 AM

it seems impossible tryin to take out the housing from the car...yes, it said that i will take time, but its like impossible!...i tried pushing as hard as i can from the inside outward, and nothing happened...i am thinkin of maybe gettin a hair blow dryer and just warming it up a lil from the inside so it kinda gets numb...does this happen cuz its cold out?? or is it like that?? can neone help me out??? yeah metallic97gxe, if ur out their, reply back
thanks
Old 12-17-2000, 07:59 AM

I had the same problem when I did mine. You just have to be patient and heat up each area around the housing. You will know when the glue's hot enough because with a little tug on the lense, the housing and the lense will separate very easily. Don't push from the inside outward because you might crack the lense. Also, make sure you use a heat gun because a hair dryer doesn't get hot enough. I'm sure that the temperature shouldn't be a big problem because I did mine when the temperature was 10 degrees celcius.
Old 12-17-2000, 08:10 AM

I think he means the tails are still stuck to his car. What I had to do, is take a hammer to the bolt studs and once it start moving, it will come right off. be sure to cut the black sealent with a knife and becareful, that stuff is messy!
Old 12-17-2000, 10:26 AM

Fear the black goo!

I still got a stain or two on the pair of pants I was wearing that day from putting the lense housing down on my leg when I was hauling it apart. It just don't come off! ... As for pushing it out, mine seemed pretty easy, maybe the weather had something to do with it. I'm pretty sure you can't break it by pushing outward on it. Go with the hammer-on-the-bolt idea, that should give it enough push to start pushing em outward. Be careful you don't miss though, the housing won't like it =P
Old 12-17-2000, 10:45 AM

Mine came out pretty easy

Then again, my cars gettin old.

S4Force/MaxedBandit's car required a grip of pushing.. (99)

So i think age has to do with it a lil... push like a ****.. if you hammer, just dont hammer sideways

Old 12-17-2000, 11:30 AM
Master Will

Hey calling me...................

Metallic97gxe? Am I on trial here? You say the hairdryer won't work,well pics speak louder than words. It can be done just heat up very close to the lense from the inside of the trunk and because it is cold it will take a little longer and have some patience. Use the hammer and tap on each bolt very lightly and it will give and when it gives push out on it EVENLY and it will come on out. The black sealant will not come out of clothes so be carefull. You won't need to add anymore it will seal itself back.

Lense out of the socket!

Taking orange lense out!

Tools for the job and yes that is a hairdryer!

Finished RED/CLEAR Rear Tail Light Conversion!

Seeing is believing!

[Edited by metallic97gxe on 12-17-2000 at 01:35 PM]
Old 12-17-2000, 03:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had the same problem. use a heat gun (hair dryer)to warm the glue inside the trunk. once the glue is soft, it comes right off with just one push. the heat gun did wonders for me. 5-10 mins. to separate the lens, and use it to contour the clear lens i was putting in. also heat the glue again before putting the lens back together and back on the car. total time less than 3 hours. good luck.

Originally posted by 99MAXSE
it seems impossible tryin to take out the housing from the car...yes, it said that i will take time, but its like impossible!...i tried pushing as hard as i can from the inside outward, and nothing happened...i am thinkin of maybe gettin a hair blow dryer and just warming it up a lil from the inside so it kinda gets numb...does this happen cuz its cold out?? or is it like that?? can neone help me out??? yeah metallic97gxe, if ur out their, reply back
thanks
Old 12-17-2000, 03:19 PM

Re: Fear the black goo!

Originally posted by ereet
I still got a stain or two on the pair of pants I was wearing that day from putting the lense housing down on my leg when I was hauling it apart. It just don't come off! ... As for pushing it out, mine seemed pretty easy, maybe the weather had something to do with it. I'm pretty sure you can't break it by pushing outward on it. Go with the hammer-on-the-bolt idea, that should give it enough push to start pushing em outward. Be careful you don't miss though, the housing won't like it =P

must get "GOO GONE" from HomeDepo!
Old 12-17-2000, 04:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tails

I didn't find it hard to take out my lights at all. I had a friend push from the inside out, and I pulled. I did wrap a screwdriver in a towel for extra leverage though.
(Be careful not to scratch the paint if you do this.) My car is a '99 too, so the goo was pretty sticky. Did any of you get any cracking in the sealant around the lenses? I think because of the heat used to open the lens the outer rubber started drying out. Just curious.
-hype

Old 12-18-2000, 06:41 AM

I just went into my trunk wrapped a towel around my foot and pushed slowly. I had a real problem getting them out at first but after this they came out slowly. Sounds stupid but it works..
Old 12-18-2000, 04:09 PM

That's funny, because I have a '99 Maxima and they came out very easily. I only had to push them outwards with one thumb. I don't even workout, I guess I am the lucky one.