4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ok....brake HELP/ADVICE..ATTN ebc owners....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2000, 09:30 PM

Ok....so lately my brakes....EBC greenstuff.....have been squealing. They don't do it cold. That don't do it real warm....well not always. Anyways....I called ebc and they offered me a swap for the Redstuff for NO CHARGE. Great customer service. The guy mentioned that because the max is not a compact the greens could be glazing over..HOWEVER....I don't think ANYONE here has used anything other than the green unless they were Auto X'ing all the time. SO.....could it really be glazed over? I have NOT been driving hard with them. It only started happening last week......after 6 weeks of quiet driving.

Ok....so Redstuff:

-Lower friction coeificent....but can withstand higher temps.
-Semi metal so they are harder on the rotors.
-May need to heat up to work....I'm in buffalo and that aint happening.

Greenstuff

-The site shows that they are good for over 500 degrees C. Thats like Well over 1000 degrees F! How could they have gotten glazed over? I mean....I'd have to stop from 90 to 0 like 10 times for them to reach that temp. I don't even think I have stopped from 80 more than once.

Last Note:

I get a ligh hum.....SOMETIMES......when comming to a stop....but at like 10-15mph to 0. Its NOT rotors cuz I'm going way to slow for them to humm.....50mph would be a different story.

Maybe I need more of that brake quiet stuff.

BTW: They were installed at a Nissan dealer with NEW nissan rotors and new shim kits. SO there

Ideas after that overly long post

Mike S.
Old 09-07-2000, 08:11 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

My guess is you didn't bed them in correctly....

On the box for EBC greens they recommend that you bed them in for 300 to 500 miles on USED rotors, which means you get to take stuff apart twice.

I'm willing to be that because you put them on fresh rotors, you didn't bed them in properly. This would cause glazing, which would cause the noise.

Whatever you do, do not get the Redstuff. Ask for another set of Greenstuff and break them in on your now USED rotors. I bet a second set would bed in fine.

I've been considering EBC greens, but after attempting to install them in my dad's 99TL (which by the way, did not work because EBC didn't do proper R&D on whether these pads would actually fit the 99 models and I'm stuck with a $100 set of useless brake pads) I'm still on the fence.

My $.02

[Edited by bill99gxe on 09-07-2000 at 10:13 AM]
Old 09-07-2000, 06:17 PM

So.........

If they are indeed glazed....will it ever....unglaze? I have a hard time beliving they are. Braking power is NOT reduced......its great I think I may just let em squeal. Wouldn't the glaze have to come off at some point? Why would they just start squealing after 6 weeks? I have had almost 1000 miles of braking before this just started.

BTW: I was easy on em for the first few weeks. We shall see. I'll wait a month or so.

Mike S.
Old 09-08-2000, 08:25 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Well,

Originally posted by Mike S.
If they are indeed glazed....will it ever....unglaze? I have a hard time beliving they are. Braking power is NOT reduced......its great I think I may just let em squeal. Wouldn't the glaze have to come off at some point? Why would they just start squealing after 6 weeks? I have had almost 1000 miles of braking before this just started.

BTW: I was easy on em for the first few weeks. We shall see. I'll wait a month or so.

Mike S.
Glazing is quite a fickle thing....It usually just happens. I'm not a brake expert, but I still believe that glazing has occurred.

Can it be removed? I think so. Lightly sanding your rotors and throwing a bit of brake parts cleaner on there will probably help. I would try that first, then drive another month and see how it goes....At the extreme, turning your rotors would do it also. But they're brand new, and I just wouldn't recommend that.

BTW, I'm no longer a fence sitter and have ordered some EBC greenstuffs as part of a plea bargain for 99TL pads that weren't for 99TLs, so I'll be posting results of my findings as well....