4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My Project (Engine Swap)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 11:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My Project (Engine Swap)

I have seen a few post on this topic but no one has really got into it (at least from what i was able to find) I have a 95 SE Auto and the milage has been climbing, I feel the best possiable mod that I could perform is the 2000- early 2001 engine. Low miles and a 32 horsepower advantage while I am at I plan on switching to a 5spd.

Anyways any info just on this topic would be very helpful I have been wanting to move on but have not had any feed back to help me with this choice.

Thanks...

~SpeedCrazie
Old 09-05-2002, 11:56 AM

2k-2k1's have the same engine. The extra 32 hp doesn't come from the engine.

Better yet, do a 99 engine swap and get yourself a MEVI.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by clee130
manifold and exhaust was what I thought it came from?

That would be a better solution, or if you have the gonads try getting the VG30DET and spank it on, good luck getting it to run properly..
Old 09-05-2002, 04:54 PM

Yup yup. And you wind up with 5th gen power mated to a lighter 4th gen body. The power to weight ratio exceeds the 2K1 Max and gets close the the 255 hp 2k2 Maxima. All in a 95-99 Maxima. Total sleeper surprise.

DW

Old 09-05-2002, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Yup yup. And you wind up with 5th gen power mated to a lighter 4th gen body. The power to weight ratio exceeds the 2K1 Max and gets close the the 255 hp 2k2 Maxima. All in a 95-99 Maxima. Total sleeper surprise.

DW

agreed...get a VQ30DE with a MEVI and you would be close to the 222 number of a 5th Gen
Old 09-05-2002, 07:23 PM
SLOW

Doing a little more research would have answered this question for you. A 2000-2001 engine wont even fit under the hood of a 4th gen. Get an MEVI and you will be close to the power of a 2000-2001 with much less work and money.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:43 PM

Re: My Project (Engine Swap)

Originally posted by SpeedCrazie
I have seen a few post on this topic but no one has really got into it (at least from what i was able to find) I have a 95 SE Auto and the milage has been climbing, I feel the best possiable mod that I could perform is the 2000- early 2001 engine. Low miles and a 32 horsepower advantage while I am at I plan on switching to a 5spd.

Anyways any info just on this topic would be very helpful I have been wanting to move on but have not had any feed back to help me with this choice.

Thanks...

~SpeedCrazie
Why do you want to change engines even though your current engine is approaching high milage? One member has over 160k miles on his '95 and he is running nitrous as well! His engine is still performing flawlessly...I can't see why your engine wouldn't perform the same. All you need for more power would be the MEVI on top of the other breathing mods (intake/ypipe)
Old 09-05-2002, 07:45 PM

honestly, you might want to just to build up your engine. Look in to any solution you have. As for myself, my dealer dosent have a problem i I do any of my engine /tranny work there so I am set.
Right now I am looking in to any option I have but mostlikely build up a 4th gen engine and put a "built" 5 speed tranny in to it. Like I said I havent looked much in to it but it will be done. Have nothing really better to do with my time anyways
Old 09-05-2002, 08:45 PM

2 Things

1.I am pretty sure that there was someone here who had claimed to have done the swap, but he only had a few posts, and this was a long time ago, but i think there were some board members who had backed up his claims, maybe i'll search for the posts later.

2.I havent seen any na mevi equipped VQDE30 making higher peak Hp than a non mevi one, so it would seem the VQDE30-k is getting some more Hp from someplace else??
Old 09-05-2002, 08:50 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by CoOlKidS1979

2.I havent seen any na mevi equipped VQDE30 making higher peak Hp than a non mevi one, so it would seem the VQDE30-k is getting some more Hp from someplace else??
That's because of the difference in design between the variable intakes. The MEVI has a secondary plenum that opens and "in effect" makes the runners shorter. The 5th gen has true long and short runners which are separate, and work a little better at extending the torque out to higher RPM. So yeah, the 5th gens still have a little more peak power.

Be that as it may, for much cheaper than swapping in a 5th gen engine, ECU, etc, you could put in a newer 4th gen engine, MEVI and a JWT ECU and be quicker than you would with the 5th gen swap. For much cheaper I might add. And with less headaches trying to get a swap done which almost no one, if anyone, has done (meaning you would be in uncharted territory and on your own when it came to problems.)
Old 09-05-2002, 09:14 PM

if you want to do the swap and have the cash more power to you. but in all honesty, its kinda stupid. u stated that your engine has high miles. well your engine is going to outlast your body, i can garantee it. i think your best bet would to get basic bolt on a mevi, or take all that swap money and turbo your car, and strengthen trans. that will give higher hp numbers than a 2k2, and it will be a total sleeper. but thats my opinion. your engine will go forever and your body will be first to go, so what do u plan to do with a crappy body and nice engine?? u may even want to consider a new car. hopefully a max
Old 09-05-2002, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

That's because of the difference in design between the variable intakes. The MEVI has a secondary plenum that opens and "in effect" makes the runners shorter. The 5th gen has true long and short runners which are separate, and work a little better at extending the torque out to higher RPM. So yeah, the 5th gens still have a little more peak power.

Be that as it may, for much cheaper than swapping in a 5th gen engine, ECU, etc, you could put in a newer 4th gen engine, MEVI and a JWT ECU and be quicker than you would with the 5th gen swap. For much cheaper I might add. And with less headaches trying to get a swap done which almost no one, if anyone, has done (meaning you would be in uncharted territory and on your own when it came to problems.)
I definitly wouldnt waste my time doing any swap...lol, i got my used s/c and mevi for cheapter than any swap would cost, but what I always wondered was were did the extra 32 hp come from? Say you put the mevi on a stock vqde30 it wouldnt really change its peak power rating of 190@the crank, just extend it correct? Now I am aware of the vqde30-k having true variable runners, but does that account for a full 32hp?
Old 09-05-2002, 09:29 PM

The DE-K motor also has different cams, too, from the DE.

DW
Old 09-05-2002, 09:32 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by CoOlKidS1979

I definitly wouldnt waste my time doing any swap...lol, i got my used s/c and mevi for cheapter than any swap would cost, but what I always wondered was were did the extra 32 hp come from? Say you put the mevi on a stock vqde30 it wouldnt really change its peak power rating of 190@the crank, just extend it correct? Now I am aware of the vqde30-k having true variable runners, but does that account for a full 32hp?
well the dual runners extend the torque to higher RPMS. Since HP is a function of TORQUE at RPM, you dont actually have to increase peak torque to increase power, you just have to make more torque at higher RPMS that you were before. So yeah, its concievable that a 5th gen VI on a 4th gen motor would not increase peak torque at all, but still increase peak HP by virtue of EXTENDING the torque plateau to higher rpm. also, the 5th gen muffler has something to do with it I bet, since some people have shown good gains from just a 5th gen muffler (BEJAY1 for example). And then there's the cams, 4th gen and 5th gen cams have different lift and duration, as well as different timing settings. and we all know they have different ECUs with different fuel and ignition timing maps. I bet those changes account for 95% if not all of the HP differences between a stock 4th and 5th gen.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:14 PM

Engine codes

Doing a little more research would have answered this question for you. A 2000-2001 engine wont even fit under the hood of a 4th gen. Get an MEVI and you will be close to the power of a 2000-2001 with much less work and money.

Can one of you tell me which Maxima models goes with which engine code. and whats a MVEI or whatever. thanks

Peace
Old 09-05-2002, 11:24 PM

uhh just get a new car or used 5th gen then
Old 09-06-2002, 10:32 AM

Re: Engine codes

The VQ30DE motor is in the 1995-1999 Maxima.
The VQ30DE-K motor is in the 2000-2001 Maxima.
The VQ35DE motor is in the 2002-2003 Maxima.

The MEVI, VI, or variable intake manifold is available for the VQ30DE. The other motors already have a variable intake manifold.

If you want to see the entire Nissan motor lineup, go here;

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/featu...nes/home.shtml

HTH

DW
Originally posted by hadezangyl

Can one of you tell me which Maxima models goes with which engine code. and whats a MVEI or whatever. thanks

Peace
Old 09-06-2002, 11:54 AM
Ramius83

well the dual runners extend the torque to higher RPMS. Since HP is a function of TORQUE at RPM, you dont actually have to increase peak torque to increase power, you just have to make more torque at higher RPMS that you were before. So yeah, its concievable that a 5th gen VI on a 4th gen motor would not increase peak torque at all, but still increase peak HP by virtue of EXTENDING the torque plateau to higher rpm. also, the 5th gen muffler has something to do with it I bet, since some people have shown good gains from just a 5th gen muffler (BEJAY1 for example). And then there's the cams, 4th gen and 5th gen cams have different lift and duration, as well as different timing settings. and we all know they have different ECUs with different fuel and ignition timing maps. I bet those changes account for 95% if not all of the HP differences between a stock 4th and 5th gen.
Totally in one ear and right out the other lolololol, ....

Old 09-06-2002, 12:25 PM

Re: Re: Engine codes

Originally posted by dwapenyi
The VQ30DE motor is in the 1995-1999 Maxima.
The VQ30DE-K motor is in the 2000-2001 Maxima.
The VQ35DE motor is in the 2002-2003 Maxima.

The MEVI, VI, or variable intake manifold is available for the VQ30DE. The other motors already have a variable intake manifold.

If you want to see the entire Nissan motor lineup, go here;

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/featu...nes/home.shtml

HTH

DW
Did the 4th gen Maxima with the variable intake manifold have a different engine designation?
Old 09-06-2002, 12:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Engine codes

Don't think so because

1. The only difference is the Manifold when compared to the US motor.
2. So few were produced. Nissan didn't shout out about it at all. Nissan's biggest market is the US, it makes 2 verisons of the same car just for the US. And the manifold never made it here. This manifold seems to have only appeared in Bahrain and Japan. Much smaller markets.

But then again, I could be wrong

DW

Originally posted by Anachronism

Did the 4th gen Maxima with the variable intake manifold have a different engine designation?