4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Disable knock sensor for $1 (CAD) :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 08:20 PM

Disable knock sensor for $1 (CAD) :)

I disabled my knock sensor by disconnecting the harness and installing a 5 cent 10k (I think) ohm resistor. I figured that at 300,000 km and dealer asking $150 Canadian bucks for the sensor, it was worth it. I always use high octane anyway, don't lug my car in a high gear and know how to drive a 5spd.
Now if only I can find a cheap fix for that dang noisy tranny bearing or the ****** BOSE cd player or that rust under my spoiler or blah..blah...
Old 09-11-2002, 04:52 PM

Re: Disable knock sensor for $1 (CAD) :)

Im due for a KNnock sensor i got the code while doing some intake work and tripped some codes forgeting to install the air intake temp sensor does it work do you still get the code? And does it do anything to restore the lost hp that you lost with the knock sensor? Just some questions before i go get some bloody knuckles getting that sucker outta there. Brian
Old 09-11-2002, 04:56 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: Re: Disable knock sensor for $1 (CAD) :)

this was discussed VERY recently and among the reasons... the best reason is that when your engine does ping, your sensor won't detect it and then.... well you know what your engine will do

just go by a friggin sensor... it's not worth it, high octane and low rpm's etc. arent the only factors... i say be safe and do it right, it's like the people who who get tired of looking @ check engine lights and just pull the bulb.... sure it solves the problem, but it's risky....

ok i'll stop yapping now
Old 09-11-2002, 05:28 PM

Re: Disable knock sensor for $1 (CAD) :)

Originally posted by 95bluse
Now if only I can find a cheap fix for that dang noisy tranny bearing or the ****** BOSE cd player or that rust under my spoiler or blah..blah...
We have the same spoiler problem. Mine is so rusted the nuts that hold on the spoiler spin forever.

My car was made 12/94, so I guess that I can't complain too much.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by BC_95GLE
Im due for a KNnock sensor i got the code while doing some intake work and tripped some codes forgeting to install the air intake temp sensor does it work do you still get the code? And does it do anything to restore the lost hp that you lost with the knock sensor? Just some questions before i go get some bloody knuckles getting that sucker outta there. Brian
It does work since I don't get any codes (except for the rear O2 sensor which is soon to be replaced), but as seximagtr says there may be risks attached. My car's got lots of km's on it so I feel comfortable doing it. Entirely up to you if you want to try it.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by MaxVQ

We have the same spoiler problem. Mine is so rusted the nuts that hold on the spoiler spin forever.

My car was made 12/94, so I guess that I can't complain too much.
...my car was built in 9/94 and has no rust around the trunk or spoiler - so yes, you can complain.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:50 PM

sorry to bring back an old thread, but i too did sort of the same. ( got tired of trying to take off the damn bolt so i bolted a bracket onto the engine block and bolted the new KS onto that). I just wanted to say that my car runs well, and i have no problem with knocking or pinging. I just have to use high octane gas, but everyone should be doing that right.....
Old 10-13-2002, 09:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i don't think it's a good idea to risk your engine for $150,plus thing like 02,knock sensor do go bad in time,$150 for 7yrs old sensor is not alot in my opinion.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 96_vqmax
i don't think it's a good idea to risk your engine for $150,plus thing like 02,knock sensor do go bad in time,$150 for 7yrs old sensor is not alot in my opinion.
I am amazed at the paranoia on this forum regarding detonation. I guess you young guys don't remember the time when cars did not have knock sensors and you set the timing with a timing light. Back then it was not unusual to set the timing a little too advanced, resulting in some pinging. Is pinging bad? In general, yes. Will it destroy your engine in short time? Yes, if you are constantly doing WOT runs, but in general, no, it won't, especially if you burn high octane fuel and take it easy like 95bluse intends. Finally, a knock sensor isn't the only thing that detects engine knock. There are also two knock sensors, one on each side of your head that are quite able to detect engine knock. If you hear engine knock, you just back off of the throttle till it goes away, or you downshift if you're climbing a hill. 95bluse indicates that he knows the issues and how to drive the car to protect it.

That being said, I would recommend trying to get a KS off of e-bay. I got one for $25!