4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Place Racing CAI "whistling" sound??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 06:12 PM

Place Racing CAI "whistling" sound??

I just got my Place Racing CAI installed this past sunday....no problems, the thing is VERY nice....although, I am getting this awkward whistling sound that seems to be coming from the midpipe...I checked things out, seems the midpipe is a bit out of alignment (which I will try to fix tomorrow), but my question is: would there be anything else that would be causing this "whistling" sound? I seem to get it when I'm at low revs (up to 2K).....and it only seems to come when I push the accelerator down just a tiny bit...

Any information would be greatly appreciated....
Old 09-11-2002, 06:17 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Place Racing CAI "whistling" sound??

Originally posted by TheSoundSoldier
I just got my Place Racing CAI installed this past sunday....no problems, the thing is VERY nice....although, I am getting this awkward whistling sound that seems to be coming from the midpipe...I checked things out, seems the midpipe is a bit out of alignment (which I will try to fix tomorrow), but my question is: would there be anything else that would be causing this "whistling" sound? I seem to get it when I'm at low revs (up to 2K).....and it only seems to come when I push the accelerator down just a tiny bit...

Any information would be greatly appreciated....
I think you just need to re-align it. It seems to be an air leak somewhere in ure piping. Just double check every connection. Good luck
Old 09-11-2002, 07:58 PM

Re: I tried what you said....

]but I have a new problem....seems that the rubber hose that goes from the TB to the midpipe is all ****ed up, and doesn't want to attach properly to the midpipe...I just spent an hour trying to get things straightened out, but now I have this stupid kink in the hose....I can't spend anymore time on it, since I have to get up for work tomorrow, so its kinda "ghetto-style" clamped on there, and I should be ok if I drive normally (low revs).....can anyone tell me if there is an easy way of straightening this out? or am I gonna be taking my CAI apart and reinstalling?

talk about a pain in the *** mod
Old 09-11-2002, 10:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I doubt that the whistling is any problem. I have that on my Frankencar, and numerous times I've loosened and re-tightened it. I get that sound no matter what.

If it's quiet outside, you'll think you have boost.

If someone doesn't notice this whistling with a midpipe, please post.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:35 PM

The whistling is normal so dont worry about that. Every CAI or midpipe I heard has it and I think its due to air turbulance or something but its normal. About your hose- I went to kragen and bought some heater hose to replace the stock pre-bent hose since it didnt fit at all so that solved the problem. Have fun with your CAI
Old 09-12-2002, 06:59 AM
Sports Button FTW

dont let that intake fall out of place while driving!!

its happened to me before and the car just shuts off plus who knows how much bad air gets into the engine and crank in those few seconds of agony. Before going to work, make sure its all perfectly aligned, EVERYTHING. Unless u take residential streets all day to work, fix it. Nothing sucks more than having it fall off during mid to high rpm's on the highway and you don't have proper tools to fix it so it falls off ever 20 seconds of driving....fortunate this ONLY happened to me in residential area 6 blocks away from me
Old 09-12-2002, 08:20 AM

hey i have a stanless steal mid pipe installed and i hear the same whisle at low rpms and when i tap the gas just a bit. dont worry about it i think its normal. as long as it doesnt make that noise when you stop on it.. then your fine. I think i have pics of mine on my web site check them out..
Old 09-12-2002, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by meccanoble
dont let that intake fall out of place while driving!!

its happened to me before and the car just shuts off plus who knows how much bad air gets into the engine and crank in those few seconds of agony. Before going to work, make sure its all perfectly aligned, EVERYTHING. Unless u take residential streets all day to work, fix it. Nothing sucks more than having it fall off during mid to high rpm's on the highway and you don't have proper tools to fix it so it falls off ever 20 seconds of driving....fortunate this ONLY happened to me in residential area 6 blocks away from me
Yeah, I take all residential to work...after work today I'm fixing that up once and for all....the midpipe seems to be too far in one hose and not enough for the hose going to the TB....and don't worry, I have my tools with me just in case
Old 09-12-2002, 08:36 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

hmmm...

You did your install around the same time as me. I have a lil whistling sound, I suspect its airleak from the wrong grommet I'm using to plug in my air temp sensor on the upper intake piping http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=150710. Try to 'wiggle' the entire piping, it shouldn't give at all. If it does, then check the couplings (all around it) and make sure your pipes are snugly fit into the couplings so the clamps are indeed properly sealing each section.

Pic:

If you still feel like there's something wrong, drive down to exit 9 on NJ Turnpike and I'll check for you.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:48 PM

SUCCESS!!!!!

thanks to the help of a friend, the CAI is now properly installed, and works beautifully.....I went up to NE Dragway tonight, managed to get a 15.6!! .3 seconds better than my best stock time!

Exhaust is tomorrow
Old 09-13-2002, 10:28 PM

You didnt install your cai yourself? its really very easy, atleast i thought. Anyway, the whistling sound is normal, its just the air getting sucked through the filter, sounds cool to me

I have a 96 auto, and I managed to fit my cai on perfectly with stock hoses and all. One of the hoses was pretty tough to get on but if you use some elbow grease you should be able to get the clamp to secure tightly over the hose and cai.
Jules
Old 09-13-2002, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by jules
You didnt install your cai yourself? its really very easy, atleast i thought. Anyway, the whistling sound is normal, its just the air getting sucked through the filter, sounds cool to me

I have a 96 auto, and I managed to fit my cai on perfectly with stock hoses and all. One of the hoses was pretty tough to get on but if you use some elbow grease you should be able to get the clamp to secure tightly over the hose and cai.
Jules
A little elbow grease?? YEP!! that damn mid-pipe, I had to get that rubber hose to fit perfectly, and that took quite a while...you shoulda seen me at my buddy's house on Waltham Street

Although the CAI works wonderfully, I think I may need to widen the hole a bit where the filter goes into the fender well....I don't think the filter is seated properly....

And yes, I did have some help, I'm way too incompetent to work under the hood myself....ask iwannabmw and 98SEBlackMax
Old 09-13-2002, 11:25 PM

A little elbow grease?? YEP!! that damn mid-pipe, I had to get that rubber hose to fit perfectly, and that took quite a while...you shoulda seen me at my buddy's house on Waltham Street

Although the CAI works wonderfully, I think I may need to widen the hole a bit where the filter goes into the fender well....I don't think the filter is seated properly....

And yes, I did have some help, I'm way too incompetent to work under the hood myself....ask iwannabmw and 98SEBlackMax
Oh man, trust me you could have done the install by yourself. I had my buddy help me, but all he really did was supply me with the tools because I have none. I thought the worst part was taking everything out like the fuse box, battery, and stock air scoop. I got one of my buddies who works construction to drill the hole for me because he had a hole saw and the bit he used was 3.5'. I dont know what size hole you drilled but 3.5' has been working for me. As for elbow grease, when I first took off the hose popped off while I was at a stop sign, so I popped the hood and really forced the hose on the cai and its been fine ever since.
Jules
Old 09-14-2002, 09:10 AM

Re: SUCCESS!!!!!

thanks to the help of a friend, the CAI is now properly installed, and works beautifully.....I went up to NE Dragway tonight, managed to get a 15.6!! .3 seconds better than my best stock time!

Exhaust is tomorrow
you have a standard... YIKES
Old 09-15-2002, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by jules

Oh man, trust me you could have done the install by yourself. I had my buddy help me, but all he really did was supply me with the tools because I have none. I thought the worst part was taking everything out like the fuse box, battery, and stock air scoop. I got one of my buddies who works construction to drill the hole for me because he had a hole saw and the bit he used was 3.5'. I dont know what size hole you drilled but 3.5' has been working for me. As for elbow grease, when I first took off the hose popped off while I was at a stop sign, so I popped the hood and really forced the hose on the cai and its been fine ever since.
Jules
My biggest problem was the hose going from the midpipe to the TB was pretty much falling off, and the clamp to hold it there wasn't fastened right......I went to a buddy's house, took apart the midpipe and MAF, and reseated all the hoses...the thing works beautifully now...

Question for you -- do you have a clamp holding the air filter in?? we tried securing that to the pipe, and couldn't get to the clamp.... but it looks like it sticks there pretty well....

and yes, JeepRage, its a standard I will be needing a new clutch soon though
Old 09-16-2002, 05:52 PM

Yea I have a clamp which came with the ugly monsterflow filter which secures it to the pipe. What kind of filter came with your cai? and Im pretty sure any filter it came with should have come with some kind of clamp. If not, you should be able to buy one.
Jules
Old 09-16-2002, 08:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

heh, when I got my Frankencar mid pipe, it just wouldnt fit right. The Rubber piece from the Throttle Body to the MAF senser just wasnt bent right. And it fell off a couple times, no matter how hard I tighned it. So I came up with an idea.....why not just take off the flex port from the original stock air box and use that? Used it, And it did numbers, doesnt fall off at all. Its good to use that because its bend able, and knowing the whole pipe turns kinda on an angle, thats the best little rubber piece to use because it has that flex.

I have the whistling sound also, and I have a K&N intake. The whistle is the shizznit. Ppl be like whoa, u got sumtin under there dont ya, and Im like YUPPERZ!! hahaha

Nick