4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

hot air condition

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 07:52 AM

hot air condition

My air conditioner is not very cold. I checked the freon and its full. Does anyone here know how fix this. If the temp outside is about 80 deg. then im sort of ok it will get cold but like at 90-95 deg. outside forget it. The thing blows out hot air almost.Oh i forgot i have a 1995 se.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:02 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Does your compressor clutch switch on and off correctly?

If not, it's likely an electrical problem.

If so, you may need to have your compressor inspected/replaced. From the experiences I have read, you shouldnt waste your time with a re-manufactured compressor...just cough up the dough for a new one.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mzmtg
Does your compressor clutch switch on and off correctly?

If not, it's likely an electrical problem.

If so, you may need to have your compressor inspected/replaced. From the experiences I have read, you shouldnt waste your time with a re-manufactured compressor...just cough up the dough for a new one.
turn your car to accessory and turn the AC on cold and listen to hear if the car drops in idle and the compressor kicks on.. its very possible the compressor went bad..
Old 09-12-2002, 11:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: hot air condition

Originally posted by kyllr
My air conditioner is not very cold. I checked the freon and its full. Does anyone here know how fix this. If the temp outside is about 80 deg. then im sort of ok it will get cold but like at 90-95 deg. outside forget it. The thing blows out hot air almost.Oh i forgot i have a 1995 se.
If compressor clutch appears to cycle okay I would put the manifold gauges on the car and see what the high side and low side pressures look like. That will get you started in the right direction. I have been getting around a 55 degree temperature differential when comparing ambient temperature to cold air coming out the center vent.
30 degree temperature differential is usually considered acceptable.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:03 PM

This might be a long shot, but my cousin's girlfriend's maxima had the same problem. Any way i thought it was low on refrigerent, but as it turned out it , there seemed to be plenty of it there. Anyway i accidentaly let some out, and then added one of the refill cans. Believe it or not, it started working. ( this was done with the engine running, and a/c blasting on high) Like i said, might be a long shot.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:43 PM

How did you let out it out? what do you mean you let only some out?But the compressor kicks cause the car does get cold. But not as cold than all the other ive been in. I live in L.A. so it gets pretty hot. I was thinking maybe my refridgerant is maybe contaminated and needs to be replaced.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by SuperFishstick
This might be a long shot, but my cousin's girlfriend's maxima had the same problem. Any way i thought it was low on refrigerent, but as it turned out it , there seemed to be plenty of it there. Anyway i accidentaly let some out, and then added one of the refill cans. Believe it or not, it started working. ( this was done with the engine running, and a/c blasting on high) Like i said, might be a long shot.
Look, under the hood on the air conditioner tubes there are these two (valves) with caps on them. One is labeled H ( for high pressure; stay away from that one ) the other is L ( yeah .. Low Pressure) Once you unscrew it, there is a valve, similar to the one in the tire. Just use something to press inside and stuff should come out. Try not to get this stuff on you cause i'm pretty sure it's harmful. Any way, like i said it's a long shot. It wont hurt to try, unless you are willing to pay to get it serviced.