4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

are you anal about your car? (sort of a vent)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 07:26 PM

are you **** about your car? (sort of a vent)

so the gf and i were talking tonight and once again the issue of my dislike of putting mileage on the car, and other ways im **** about the car comes up.
basically she gets mad because i would "complain" about driving far distances, ie driving to see her. when all i say is that its a far drive and im tired.
and then theres this story: i was going to go to six flags with her but i wasnt in the mood and i said i also didnt want to park the car there. ok so maybe that was a little crazy of me.
ah theres so much more to say but i dont want to write a book here.
is it just me? am i alone here?
Old 09-12-2002, 07:51 PM

You are not the only one. People complain to me when I park far away from the entrance to the shopping mall. I just want to park away from other cars so they don't dent my car.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:55 PM

Re: are you **** about your car? (sort of a vent)

This one girl I know all she wants to do is drive my car every time she sees me. My cars is a 5 speed she knows how to drive a regular 5 speed but my is different.I let her drive couple time but she is killin my car so I told her no and she got ****ed so I don't know what is up with her. I guess girls just can't keep their hands off my maxima
Old 09-12-2002, 08:02 PM

screw her, I hate putting miles on my car but driving to philly everyday has that effect on it. I just said screw it, i am going to build myself a engine anyways so what the use.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:13 PM

Re: Re: are you **** about your car? (sort of a vent)

Originally posted by maxedout95
This one girl I know all she wants to do is drive my car every time she sees me.
i know how you feel
Old 09-12-2002, 08:18 PM
Sin

I'm not alone :)

For you guys concerned about mileage, unplug the sensor onthe tranny. For those concerned about parking far away, drop her off at the door before parking, and pretend it's because you are being a gentlemen, and about letting someone drive your car, just tell her, you don't let ANYONE drive your car. I don't.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:20 PM
aka UNCDooD

i'm very **** about my car. i don't like people standing around my car let alone leaning on it. I park far enough away so that people don't end up parking next to me. I definitely don't like taking my car anywhere and dropping it off for someone to do some work on it or whatever because I trust no one, even if i am in the car with them. Don't let my friend drive anymore because he has more of a lead foot than I do. So, with my car, I trust no one. not even for a second. oh yeah, and i'm so glaaaad my g/f can't drive a 5-speed.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:25 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: are you **** about your car? (sort of a vent)

Originally posted by maxedout95
This one girl I know all she wants to do is drive my car every time she sees me. My cars is a 5 speed she knows how to drive a regular 5 speed but my is different.I let her drive couple time but she is killin my car so I told her no and she got ****ed so I don't know what is up with her. I guess girls just can't keep their hands off my maxima
lol! well i WANT my gf to drive my 5spd even though she doesn't know how too.. i'd like her to learn and i don't care when it comes to my car vs her... i'd choose her so i just want her to have fun. As for other ppl wanting to drive my car... **** em!

If you've got a gf and you start gettin *****y at her because u care for your car more... i duunnnnnnooooooooooooo
Old 09-12-2002, 08:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: are you **** about your car? (sort of a vent)

My parents bought my car and I won't even let them drive it..
Old 09-12-2002, 08:47 PM

i always park far away and my friend give me sh*t for it, but my g/f doesnt. i have let her drive my car a few times, just like nadir said, i care about her and what is going to make her have a little bit more fun more than my car, but as far as my friend go f*ck them!! o yeah i let my mom drive it once, but shes mom, you cant say no! shes done to much for me as it is
Old 09-12-2002, 08:53 PM
Sin

Originally posted by DTR Maxima
i always park far away and my friend give me sh*t for it, but my g/f doesnt. i have let her drive my car a few times, just like nadir said, i care about her and what is going to make her have a little bit more fun more than my car, but as far as my friend go f*ck them!! o yeah i let my mom drive it once, but shes mom, you cant say no! shes done to much for me as it is
Yah man, she only like gave birth to you
Old 09-12-2002, 09:00 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Sin

Yah man, she only like gave birth to you

Cool thing w/ the 5spd in my family is that I'm the only one that knows how to drive stick
Old 09-12-2002, 09:03 PM

I too am, I dont allow certain things and if my friends dont like then they dont ride
Old 09-12-2002, 09:08 PM

I'm pretty careful about where I park, etc. I do NOT under any circumstances let a friend drive my car. He drove it ONE time, hit the gas like a retard while in reverse and gave me a nice dent in my bumper, which doesn't look bad...but you can tell when you come within 10 feet or so of it.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:25 PM

damn guys i come back and 13 replies. i was on the phone with her and man i have never known how much s#it i cause just because im obsessed with the car.

getting rearended the other day taught me a lot of things..mostly, you cannot jus go crazy with the car becuase afterall its only a car. of course i choose my gf over the car but sometimes we jus get carried away.

hey, for those of you that answered about parking far away, what would you do if you had to park in a commuter lot at school? this is my first and last year as a commuter, (next year i will be a working man) and i have no choice but to park next to the fools in my school. but im not going to be so **** anymore... i have seen the light
Old 09-12-2002, 09:29 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by sil SE
damn guys i come back and 13 replies. i was on the phone with her and man i have never known how much s#it i cause just because im obsessed with the car.

getting rearended the other day taught me a lot of things..mostly, you cannot jus go crazy with the car becuase afterall its only a car. of course i choose my gf over the car but sometimes we jus get carried away.

hey, for those of you that answered about parking far away, what would you do if you had to park in a commuter lot at school? this is my first and last year as a commuter, (next year i will be a working man) and i have no choice but to park next to the fools in my school. but im not going to be so **** anymore... i have seen the light
haha welcome to the real world

You'll always end up taking chances parking... to tell u the truth, parking farther way is just more inviting to other ppl. The point of vandalizing someone's property is to **** the person off... so if they see a car parked far why not throw a rock at it and run? either way it's gonna get ****ed. anywho, good luck!
Old 09-12-2002, 09:33 PM

you are so right, sometimes its bad to stick out like a sore thumb. most of the time actually. ok maybe always.

screw it, dents and scratches...are annoying but wtf it happens to all of us. besides im never going to try and be a show car.

never again do i want to hear her tell me im too this or that about the car. frustrating.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by MaxC1Get!
You are not the only one. People complain to me when I park far away from the entrance to the shopping mall. I just want to park away from other cars so they don't dent my car.
my girlfriend just doesn't understand why i park all the way out in the middle of nowhere sometimes. one time we were at acme and this lady let her cart just roll right towards my car. i watched for a moment in disbelief. my girlfriend jumps to get the cart before it gets near my car. the lady does the same, gets the cart, and gives me a dirty look like it was my fault. i told her to go f herself. i then told my girlfriend that that was one of the reasons to park in the middle of nowhere
Old 09-13-2002, 06:09 AM

I too park far away from other cars to lessen the chance of someone's door denting my car (it's not in perfect shape now but I'm tring to preserve what I have ) I have a funny story though. My girlfriends dad drives I think '86 ford conversion van. He sees this souped up car parked diagonaly across 3 parking spaces. Sooooo, he takes his van and parks right next to the guy, diagonal and all
Old 09-13-2002, 06:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: are you **** about your car? (sort of a vent)

Originally posted by Uniden
My parents bought my car and I won't even let them drive it..

amen to that
Old 09-13-2002, 06:35 AM
www.autotalk.com

It all depends on you. If you bought your car URSELF and have spent TIME and MONEY making it look good then you WILL CARE! If i have to park anywhere i try to find the FIRST spot so i can have some space left on the other side or just park where none is parked. There will be some @$$hole out there who will bang the door in ur car and forget about it. As a matter of fact it happened to me ONCE. I went to walmart and saw there was no parking in the front so i parked all the way at the other side where none was parked. I come back and i see a beat up accord (90) parked rite next to me. Looked at my door and see a DING in it. i was ****ed like.. took out my keys and keyed some nice pictures on the hood. Still not satisfied.. so wrote on the door.. F U. you CANNOT compare car and gf, two different thigns.. like comparing apples and oranges so just chill and do what you like to do
Old 09-13-2002, 06:36 AM

my dad lobbed a freaking acorn at my max the other night (no scratches or dents...it was just the principal of it), i got so pist off. he treats his CRV like its a god damn ferrari...i wizzed an acorn at the back of his head and nailed him...made me feel better

shaz
Old 09-13-2002, 06:56 AM

Its a car. Yes, I like to keep mine looking as good as I can. Yes, I like to park away from the crowd if I can to keep from getting dings in the door. There are things that I am semi **** about like that but, I also let my wife drive the car if she wants, I have no problem with that. She's even raced it a few times! It doesn't bother me a bit, why? because its a car.

You never know when some idiot is going to pull out in front of you or t-bone you. Then, all that pampering is gone, by something you have no control over. Drive the car, enjoy it. If you gf wants to drive it, let her. If she likes it, its easier to get parts as gifts. Freinds on the other hand.... only if I trust them big time.

Old 09-13-2002, 07:05 AM

I tend to park far away like the rest of you, and I definitely never let anyone drive my car.

And I wash it every weekend. I know my neighbors think I'm nuts, or at least obsessive.

But, I have no problem putting miles on my car. I bought this car to drive, not to sit in my driveway. When I decide that I've put too many miles on it, I will trade it in and buy another new car that I love.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:06 AM
I'm so hood

but my g/f doesnt. i have let her drive my car a few times, just like nadir said, i care about her and what is going to make her have a little bit more fun more than my car
I also let my wife drive the car if she wants, I have no problem with that. She's even raced it a few times! It doesn't bother me a bit, why? because its a car.
hehe...you guys don't happen to drive automatics, do you?

All I've ever had to do with cars and gfs is say "Sure, you can drive it....sometime..."...and keep saying that periodically until the relationship is over Personally, even if I got in an accident that's not my/the driver of my car's fault, I'd MUCH rather be the driver than anyone else.

I'm a member of the park-strategically club. My view? Who out there doesn't need a little more exercise?
Old 09-13-2002, 07:07 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

hmmmmmmm.

i bought my max myself (used), and its pretty much stock currently. i drive it wherever (long trips are ok), whenever. The way i look at it, is that i didnt spend the money on it, and pay my insurance for it to sit there. no maxima will ever appreciate in value, and it isnt exactly a museum piece either! yeah, i look after it, it only drinks premium, and engine gets Mobil1 synthetic, but i don't worship my car, because its a car! mine is not a show car - i drive it daily. its not a beater, and looks good, but still i park it close to a mall's entrance, etc. look, you never know when a rock chip will come flying at your car on the highway, or some one will park next to you no matter how far away you park. or, as it was in my case, you'll be moving 5 mph in traffic, and someone will decide that your car will look better with the trunk in the back sit, and move it there! so enjoy your car, and that means DRIVE IT, not just spend money on it, and let it sit there most of the time. just my .02
Old 09-13-2002, 07:17 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

YEs, but I'm getting better because the car is a daily driver and I really need a garage and a weekend car so that it never sees rain or crappy days or snow. So I've accpetted the fact that it's a daily driver and things might happen.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:27 AM

My girlfriend has commented a few times on how **** I am when picking the "right" parking spot. I mean - I'll drive around most of the parking lot surveying all the empty spots and pick the one with the newest and cleanest looking cars on either side. My theory is - if the cars around me are very new/well-maintained. they don't want a chip or a dent on their car any more than I do.

hehe..the only time she borrowed my Maxima was to go to several job interviews the same day and I kept calling her every 45 min to make sure she was parking next to good cars..
Old 09-13-2002, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by kushane

My girlfriend has commented a few times on how **** I am when picking the "right" parking spot. I mean - I'll drive around most of the parking lot surveying all the empty spots and pick the one with the newest and cleanest looking cars on either side. My theory is - if the cars around me are very new/well-maintained. they don't want a chip or a dent on their car any more than I do.
You are better off parking next to OLDER cars that look well maintained. That way you can guarantee that the owner is as obsessive as you are. If it has a car cover, that's the best. That new car that you parked next to could just belong to some rich guy who just bought it and who could care less about other cars.

Also, be careful about parking next to cars that, stereotypically, senior citizens drive. Some of them need to swing the doors wide open to get in/out. There was this one time [at band camp] that I went to the Museum of Fine Arts and parked all the way at the end of the parking lot. When I came back out, I noticed a large buick parked next to me, but didn't think anything of it, until I got home and discovered a dime-size chip in my rear passenger-side door. I never got that one fixed properly.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:50 AM

Commuter Parking...

you could..

park next to an expensive car,
park next to a car that you think the driver is, too, ****
NEVER park next to a minivan (children), Two Doors (door is longer than a four door)
or the safest...quit school
Old 09-13-2002, 07:52 AM

My g/f doesn't even WANT to drive my car b/c she thinks I'm a bit too **** about it. I think she's nervous about any possibility of denting/scratching/messing it up, even just a little. And I'm not even really that bad, I just keep it clean and have added minimal mods. Like others have said, it's not a show car, it's not perfect by any means, but it's mine and I like to keep it as well-maintained as possible.

As for parking lots, my theory is that most people just think of their car as a means to get around. They have no idea that people like us really care about our cars and take certain measures to keep them running and looking good. Others just have more pressing matters on their minds; like moms in mini-vans (or, ugh, giant SUVs) with 5 kids at the grocery store trying to get them all out of the car, so making sure doors aren't banging into adjacent cars is not a high priority. I like end spots so my chances of getting hit are cut in half.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:05 AM

i have a 5-speed so it eliminates a majority of my friends from asking to drive it, as for the others, its a polite NO.

as regards to parking, well what can you say. i remember this one incident when i was visiting a temple. i parked far away in an empty row. when i return, there is another car parked right next to mine even when there are about 20 other spots empty and guess what car it is? a MAXIMA !! so i thought it would be fine. next thing i see is a nice little ding on my driver door! i sure was upset, but it just shows that sh*t happens. i do try to park away, but i am not as **** as i used to be
Old 09-13-2002, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by Slowpoke

You are better off parking next to OLDER cars that look well maintained. That way you can guarantee that the owner is as obsessive as you are. If it has a car cover, that's the best. That new car that you parked next to could just belong to some rich guy who just bought it and who could care less about other cars.

Also, be careful about parking next to cars that, stereotypically, senior citizens drive. Some of them need to swing the doors wide open to get in/out. There was this one time [at band camp] that I went to the Museum of Fine Arts and parked all the way at the end of the parking lot. When I came back out, I noticed a large buick parked next to me, but didn't think anything of it, until I got home and discovered a dime-size chip in my rear passenger-side door. I never got that one fixed properly.
Agreed on the "parking next to OLDER cars that look well maintained". That's what I meant when I said Newest/"CLEANEST". However don't you think the owner of a newer car even though not an enthusiast, would be a little more concerned than the driver of a rust-bucket or a pinto or something? After all - if they give me a dent - odds are they might end up with a tiny chip to show for it as well.

Apart from that one time my g/f drove it, the only other time anyone else has driven it was my roommate when he was in-between cars. I trust the guy because his previous ride was a Chevy Caprice which doubled as his work car (a.k.a Checker cab). He put 370,000 + miles on the original engine/tranny before the it finally gave up. quarterly tranny flushes, weekly oil changes plus zero accidents in 370k miles of driving a cab. I trust him driving my car more than I trust myself.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:58 AM

one time me and my gf were walking back to my car from the mall, and i had parked not too far away, but not up close..with no cars on either side.
when we're walking back i see one car parked to my right (outta all the spots she couldve picked) with this grandma lady putting a little child in to the car (THRU THE DRIVER SIDE? busted right side door?) but her door was all over mine. i was walking towards with my jaw dropped. what could i say to her? she was a unknowing lil grandma with maybe her grandchild.

as for the commuter lot, today i had jus parked my rental cavalier and then this fool in a cherokee parks next to me swings the door open and hits my door. im like WTF?? IM IN THE CAR YOU *** I SAW THAT. but i didnt say s#it since its a rental. but damn
Old 09-13-2002, 09:02 AM

oh, and yeah my car has some dings, a big scratch, some spots that have been touched up (not quite so well by me)..all the usual wear and tear but still its the principle of the matter- i hate when people are either negligent or disrespectful and dont care about the car next to them.

i was walking thru the "less-rich" minority part of my area and i saw this kid w/ an old as$ car parked next to another old car, and he was so careful not to open the door and hit it. i was like, damn these rich people around here with nicer cars and they dont care half as much as this guy.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:11 AM

exactly, just a little bit of respect is all we're looking for. cars aren't exaclty cheap, you'd think people would pay more attention to what they're doing.

and yeah, little old ladies get a free pass I guess.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by laba
exactly, just a little bit of respect is all we're looking for. cars aren't exaclty cheap, you'd think people would pay more attention to what they're doing.

and yeah, little old ladies get a free pass I guess.
i forgot to mention something in my previous post. my girlfriend wants me to teach her how to drive stick! i said no, b/c i don't think she will get it. i told her to ask her brother, who has a 5 spd 2000 max, to teach her. she said she wants to learn on my 5 spd though. no way
Old 09-13-2002, 12:09 PM

i let my girl drive max once jus b/c i wanted to see her drive stick, she was taught by her father on his boxster. shes always saying she hates stick and blah blah. shes not bad, but then when she was leaving the neighborhood and about to go on the major highway i was like WHOA WHOA WHOA

update: i left the commuter lot this afternoon and the idiot who opened his door into my rental car this morning- his car was still next to mine. i was about to open my passenger door into his jus to get him back for being a moron but i didnt.

its all about being the better man
Old 09-13-2002, 12:34 PM

one time me and my gf were walking back to my car from the mall, and i had parked not too far away, but not up close..with no cars on either side.
when we're walking back i see one car parked to my right (outta all the spots she couldve picked) with this grandma lady putting a little child in to the car (THRU THE DRIVER SIDE? busted right side door?) but her door was all over mine. i was walking towards with my jaw dropped. what could i say to her? she was a unknowing lil grandma with maybe her grandchild.

Well, aren't you just the good Samaritan, you. People, lighten up. It is a mode of transportation. It is not a PERSON. Not going to Six Flags because you "don't want to park there", throwing acorns at your FATHER'S HEAD because he jokingly did to your car and caused no damage, doing hundreds of dollars in damage by keying all over your neighbor's car as "payment" for the small ding in yours....grow up. Have a little fun with your car. Take it places. Go on trips, park it, and live your life! Respect your father and love your neighbor, even if they're oblivious sometimes. This thread makes me sick. No car is worth this...even a Ferrari, and a Ferrari the Maxima ain't.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:34 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by maximamoose

i forgot to mention something in my previous post. my girlfriend wants me to teach her how to drive stick! i said no, b/c i don't think she will get it. i told her to ask her brother, who has a 5 spd 2000 max, to teach her. she said she wants to learn on my 5 spd though. no way
LOL i'm completely opposite, i taught my gf how to drive stick on my 5spd... like i said, i don't care, as long as she has fun. Actually, she got past 1st gear her first try! Alot better than i did when i started out lol, she said she could feel the car... must be that feminine touch

Quick Reply: are you anal about your car? (sort of a vent)