4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Miata, Schmiata

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002 | 12:00 AM

Miata, Schmiata

Ran against a 92 Miata tonight and it was a joke. From rolling at 60...smoked him......rolling at 40, smoked him....rolling at 20, smoked him....from a stop with some major wheel spin, smoked him. Maybe it's because I have a 100+ more hp than him He was really cool though and he tipped me off to a cool website for Texans called texasracingscene.com Oh yeah, BTW, my new Stillen Y is the shiznit!
Old 09-14-2002 | 12:08 AM

Just because you beat one miata doesnt mean you should generalize. There are some miatas' out there that you cant even touch, believe me. Not to flame, Im just speaking from experience.
Jules
Old 09-14-2002 | 12:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Miata, Schmiata

Originally posted by MajorMax96SE
Ran against a 92 Miata tonight and it was a joke. From rolling at 60...smoked him......rolling at 40, smoked him....rolling at 20, smoked him....from a stop with some major wheel spin, smoked him. Maybe it's because I have a 100+ more hp than him He was really cool though and he tipped me off to a cool website for Texans called texasracingscene.com Oh yeah, BTW, my new Stillen Y is the shiznit!
He was most likely stock. Miatas are, by design, very underpowered. They are designed for driving through twisty roads, not for straight runs.

I've seen some pretty sick Miatas, though. There are Miatas w/5.0L Ford engine, T5 (Ford) tranny and the rear end from a Ford Thunderbird (Jaguar makes it). Those things are sick! Not really a Miata at that point, IMO I've also seen turbocharged versions of the Monster Miata. Really sick power to weight ratio. They're sub 10 second range, if I'm not mistaken.

Even using their I4 power plant, they can become very competitive, for little money.

-Sryth...
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
'98 SE 5spd, Pebble Beige, PRCAI, Stillen Y, Stillen FSTB, ACT clutch.
Pacesetter STS to be installed this week!
Old 09-14-2002 | 02:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i think they weigh around 2500 lbs, so even with the little 125 hp engine, some bolt ons can make it a decently fast car... not to mention forced induction
Old 09-14-2002 | 06:31 AM

Re: Re: Miata, Schmiata

Originally posted by sryth

He was most likely stock. Miatas are, by design, very underpowered. They are designed for driving through twisty roads, not for straight runs.

I've seen some pretty sick Miatas, though. There are Miatas w/5.0L Ford engine, T5 (Ford) tranny and the rear end from a Ford Thunderbird (Jaguar makes it). Those things are sick! Not really a Miata at that point, IMO I've also seen turbocharged versions of the Monster Miata. Really sick power to weight ratio. They're sub 10 second range, if I'm not mistaken.

Even using their I4 power plant, they can become very competitive, for little money.

-Sryth...
Pacesetter STS to be installed this week!
He was mostly stock, no performance mods except for a RT Cat. I wasn't really bragging, just kidding around. He told me he gets 98 hp at the wheels. That's not much of a race....I've also seen Miatas that I wouldn't have a chance against. They are so light that if you can get the hp up into the 150-160 range it'll smoke a lot of cars out there. This guy said he was going to put a turbo in it someday and that it wasn't his only car. He also said he's been racing pro/semi-pro for three years, so I've got much respect for him as he's probably a much better driver than I. All in all it was just a fun night and he was a cool guy.
Old 09-14-2002 | 07:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mardigrasmax lost to a Miata once.
Old 09-14-2002 | 08:29 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Mardigrasmax lost to a Miata once.
Yeah, a supercharged one He'd probably be pretty close from a roll now.
Old 09-14-2002 | 08:42 AM

cant' even compare the two cars really. different class allllltogether.
but as long as its all in good fun, thats cool
Old 09-14-2002 | 08:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ereet

Yeah, a supercharged one He'd probably be pretty close from a roll now.

Actually it was turbocharged. I think the Miata ran 12s consistently and capable of 11s.
Old 09-14-2002 | 11:39 AM

Once you replace the engine with one form another manufacturer you are really driving a real Miata anymore. You could do that with any car. Hell a Chevette can be an 8 second car in the 1/4 mile if you drop in a big block V8 with a couple superchargers. Miatas are slow. Handle great, but they are just underpowered unless you throw the engine out and replace it with something worthwhile.
Old 09-14-2002 | 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kratz74
Once you replace the engine with one form another manufacturer you are really driving a real Miata anymore. You could do that with any car. Hell a Chevette can be an 8 second car in the 1/4 mile if you drop in a big block V8 with a couple superchargers. Miatas are slow. Handle great, but they are just underpowered unless you throw the engine out and replace it with something worthwhile.
We have a local guy here with a Miata, original engine but Turbo charged and a bunch of other stuff. He runs min 12's. They can go fast just not without spending a bunch of money. I guess that applies to Maxima's as well.
Old 09-14-2002 | 10:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by kratz74
Hey, they still have the original emblems on there! j/k

I agree completely. I've seen Miata's with the stock engine upgraded to produce over 200RWHP, though. That's enough to toast most Max's.

It seems that upgrades to the Miata's are inexpensive too. I guess all sports cars have inexpensive performance upgrades compared to the Max, though.

-Sryth...
Pacesetter STS to be installed last week!