4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hard (Slow) Starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 06:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hard (Slow) Starting

All,
Background:
I have a 97 SE with 70K. I got a tuneup at 60K (platinum plugs) and they did cleaned the throttle body. Just got an oil change and a new battery (oil last week, Diehard Gold battery 2 weeks ago - it went dead while on vacation for 2 weeks). Recently added fuel additive (Tecron ??) about 2 weeks ago. No other work has been done to the car except for maintenance (oil, tires, brakes).
Problem:
Since adding new battery takes 3-4 attempts to get the car started (turning to start for 3 seconds at a time). First crank the car starts turning over like a Model T (slow and painfully). After 2 more momentum and 3 or 4 does the trick. This is in the morning (about 70 degrees Fahrenheit) and after work (basically when the car hasn't run for 4 or more hours). After the car is warmed up and has been running for about 20 minutes, the car starts on the 1st turn of the key. Historically the car takes 1 or 2 turns/cranks to get started (and the 1st crank is fast, just not catching). This has me concerned that something is up.
Miscellaneous:
After going thru many posts I've seen (fuel filter, oxygen sensor, and throttlebody). I don't want to get the run around at the shop. Any thoughts?? Thanks for reading all of this.
-Jay
Old 09-17-2002, 06:26 PM

Re: Hard (Slow) Starting

Originally posted by jrobinso73
All,
Background:
I have a 97 SE with 70K. I got a tuneup at 60K (platinum plugs) and they did cleaned the throttle body. Just got an oil change and a new battery (oil last week, Diehard Gold battery 2 weeks ago - it went dead while on vacation for 2 weeks). Recently added fuel additive (Tecron ??) about 2 weeks ago. No other work has been done to the car except for maintenance (oil, tires, brakes).
Problem:
Since adding new battery takes 3-4 attempts to get the car started (turning to start for 3 seconds at a time). First crank the car starts turning over like a Model T (slow and painfully). After 2 more momentum and 3 or 4 does the trick. This is in the morning (about 70 degrees Fahrenheit) and after work (basically when the car hasn't run for 4 or more hours). After the car is warmed up and has been running for about 20 minutes, the car starts on the 1st turn of the key. Historically the car takes 1 or 2 turns/cranks to get started (and the 1st crank is fast, just not catching). This has me concerned that something is up.
Miscellaneous:
After going thru many posts I've seen (fuel filter, oxygen sensor, and throttlebody). I don't want to get the run around at the shop. Any thoughts?? Thanks for reading all of this.
-Jay
Did the new battery go dead while you went away for two weeks or did you put a new one because the old one went dead? If a new battery died after only sitting for two weeks, that would be a pretty good clue that you have issues with your alternator, which on a 97 is a distinct possibility. The alternator can be checked for free at Autozone or Pepboys, that's the first place I'd look.

As you mentioned, other possibilities would also include fuel filter and throttlebody. I don't think an O2 sensor would have anything to do with a cold start. I think the ECU runs in a set mode without feedback from the sensor until a normal operating temperature.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:44 PM

Re: Re: Hard (Slow) Starting

It sounds like you have a battery problem - it is too low on voltage/current. Fist of all do you run the car enough to charge the battery? There are things that are ON while the engine/ignition is OFF and can drain the battery after a few weeks. So if you never really charged it up (takes about 30 minutes at say 40 mph).

To check for sure....get/borrow a VOM (volt-ohm meter) and put it across the battery with the engione off! Measure the voltage - it should be about 12 - 12.5 Volts if below this the battery needs charging.

Then start the car and repeat the above. Now the voltage should be at least 13.5 - 14.0 Volts (if the system is charging)while the engine is running. If the voltage is still below 12 Volts then you need to get the chargin system checked - probably the alternator.

Good luck.