4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

possible problem with battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 09:46 PM

possible problem with battery

when i'm driving my stero/AC turns on and off really fast......then that same day i was slowing down and my car stalled.....has anyone ever had this problem?....do i need a new battery or is it an electrical prob?? thanks for the help
Old 09-18-2002, 09:55 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: possible problem with battery

Originally posted by XxJ822xX
when i'm driving my stero/AC turns on and off really fast......then that same day i was slowing down and my car stalled.....has anyone ever had this problem?....do i need a new battery or is it an electrical prob?? thanks for the help
Hmm.... could be a loose connection. Is your stereo stock?
Old 09-18-2002, 09:56 PM

Re: Re: possible problem with battery

Originally posted by nadir_s

Hmm.... could be a loose connection. Is your stereo stock?
its stock....but the whole car stalled 15 minutes later
Old 09-18-2002, 09:57 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: Re: possible problem with battery

Originally posted by XxJ822xX

its stock....but the whole car stalled 15 minutes later

hmm... sounds like your alternator... did all the lights in the car still work? did it go completely dead?
Old 09-18-2002, 10:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: possible problem with battery

Originally posted by nadir_s

hmm... sounds like your alternator... did all the lights in the car still work? did it go completely dead?

lights still worked.....the car just shut down...all the warning lights on the dash came on as if you just turned the key 2 notches....but the car started right back up....so i'm a little confused.....what do you guys think i should do?...
Old 09-20-2002, 07:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: possible problem with battery

I read all the posts and it sounds like your alternator is not working correctly or is on it's way out. I've had this problem with my 300 and my girlfriends car is going through it righ now. The alternator is not charging the battery and not creating charge to work your electrical components, which means the battery is working in it's place, when the battery drains low enough, the car dies. The battery like any will recharge itself over time, enough to get you out on the road until it drains again. If the alternator is not fully dead, it may provide some charge, but will eventually fail. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Check local parts stores for alternator prices, dealerships charge outrageous prices, but most will install outside parts if you provide them and only charge you labor, or you can do it yourself and save another 100 bones. Oh, Advanced Auto will test your Alternator for free.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:52 AM

Re: Re: possible problem with battery

Originally posted by 992life
I read all the posts and it sounds like your alternator is not working correctly or is on it's way out. I've had this problem with my 300 and my girlfriends car is going through it righ now. The alternator is not charging the battery and not creating charge to work your electrical components, which means the battery is working in it's place, when the battery drains low enough, the car dies. The battery like any will recharge itself over time, enough to get you out on the road until it drains again. If the alternator is not fully dead, it may provide some charge, but will eventually fail. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Check local parts stores for alternator prices, dealerships charge outrageous prices, but most will install outside parts if you provide them and only charge you labor, or you can do it yourself and save another 100 bones. Oh, Advanced Auto will test your Alternator for free.
thanks for the help fellas....somebody else told me it could be the spark plugs.....yesterdat it stalled on me 7 times....i was like wtf?...i was told that if it was the altenator....my stero sound would go from high to low etccc....is that true?
Old 09-21-2002, 08:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

in my past experiences, the radio wouldn't even stay on when the alternator was shot. It seemed like the engine was drawing all the power and it cut the ancillery divices to provide that power. I don't believe it would be the spark plugs, if it were you'd be short on power, your engine would be missing and you would definitely be able to tell. The car would run on 5 and maybe even 4 plugs but it wouldn't be pretty. You might wanna take it in and have the alternator tested, if it's fine you might look at the voltage regulator or may be a simple fuel flow issue. Best thing to do is start eleviating possiblities by performing test at each possible point. Check your voltages, check and make sure your plug wires are in correct sequence, pull plugs and checks for fouling, and then move onto the next one, may be simple as an O2 sensor going out, hard to tell.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:14 AM

that is your alternator
Old 09-21-2002, 09:44 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

If you're lucky, your car would fall under that alternator recall! check to see if your car is affected under the recall.