6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Charging System Problem

Old 09-10-2015, 12:02 AM

Charging System Problem

Hi guys, got an 07 Max with 97k on it and kept it in awesom condition. I am loving the no car payments thing however i am starting to run into a pesky little problem that even my mechanic can't seem to get it right. back in October 2014 i had an issue where the car shut off on me in the middle of the street while i was driving it. After replacing several batteries from various mechanics that told me the alternator was fine I found another mechanic who didn't blame the battery but the alternator. He went ahead and replaced it 10/3/14 but now less than a year later here i am again writing this because the exact same thing happened. I was driving the car home from work and bam the car just shut off on me in the middle of the street. Now that "battery" light came on in my car the same morning and i did take it to AdvancedAuto Ps and they told me without load it was charging around 12% however when i do put load (turn on high beams, A\C, Rock, the charging system doesn't seem to adjust and it stays at 12% and i was told it should be more like 14& or 15%. The radio still worked all the lights were still on but when i turned the key to crank, not a single sound. Quiet as a mouse. This is really making me nervous because it actually becomes very dangerous when you are out in the middle of a 4-way intersection in a city like Miami. So couple of questions listed below if you can help me out.. Thanks so much!

What should my mechanic be looking for now that we have ruled out that the battery is good and the alternator has been replaced before not too long ago?

Is this a common issue?

What else could it possible be besides the alternator, (I am not familiar with the charging system so please do explain.)

You guys ROCK THANKS !!!

Last edited by DJLAX152; 09-10-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:15 PM

There is a fuse holder (more accurately, fusible link holder) that attaches to the positive battery cable. This part has poor connections inside it and can cause the car to lose power. Nissan has improved the part since original introduction, but never made a recall on it.

Nissan calls it "Holder-Fusible Link" and it is part # 24380-79912, list price $20.42 at the dealer. I don't know if you can get this at a regular parts store or if it is a dealer only part.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan Maxima

Originally Posted by DJLAX152
Hi guys, got an 07 Max with 97k on it and kept it in awesom condition. I am loving the no car payments thing however i am starting to run into a pesky little problem that even my mechanic can't seem to get it right. back in October 2014 i had an issue where the car shut off on me in the middle of the street while i was driving it. After replacing several batteries from various mechanics that told me the alternator was fine I found another mechanic who didn't blame the battery but the alternator. He went ahead and replaced it 10/3/14 but now less than a year later here i am again writing this because the exact same thing happened. I was driving the car home from work and bam the car just shut off on me in the middle of the street. Now that "battery" light came on in my car the same morning and i did take it to AdvancedAuto Ps and they told me without load it was charging around 12% however when i do put load (turn on high beams, A\C, Rock, the charging system doesn't seem to adjust and it stays at 12% and i was told it should be more like 14& or 15%. The radio still worked all the lights were still on but when i turned the key to crank, not a single sound. Quiet as a mouse. This is really making me nervous because it actually becomes very dangerous when you are out in the middle of a 4-way intersection in a city like Miami. So couple of questions listed below if you can help me out.. Thanks so much!

What should my mechanic be looking for now that we have ruled out that the battery is good and the alternator has been replaced before not too long ago?

Is this a common issue?

What else could it possible be besides the alternator, (I am not familiar with the charging system so please do explain.)

You guys ROCK THANKS !!!
I would check the Alternator Harness it might need to be replaced since you're having issues with the battery charging.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

of course, we need to do business today. Plus, doing business is much easier now than it was a few years ago. Even 10 years ago, it was necessary to organize everything independently, even a call center, but now everything can be done easier using outsourcing companies. Have you heard of this www.wow24-7.io/virtual-assistant? What do you think?

Last edited by joordis; 05-05-2021 at 12:32 PM.