4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

upgrading to thicker wires to improve electrical system...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 09:51 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

upgrading to thicker wires to improve electrical system...

Well, I was reading that thread about upgrading the 3 electrical wires that was posted earlier this week. I went out and tried lookin for 0-2 gauge wires but couldnt find any sooooooo i was talking to my professor (im majoring in E.E.) and we figured that we'd get the same results if we used multiple 5-10 gauge wires. SO i'm gonna head out to Fry's Electronics today and get me a the lowest possible gauge wire they have, ADD it to the wire thats existing... and then use those cover tubing to hide it all. after i'm done ill post pics later this evening.

Is there any way to tell a difference in the system... the only thing i would figure is the car would probably start faster?
Old 09-21-2002, 11:55 AM

hey can someone tell plzzzzzzzzzzz for the love of god where these three wires are at??????
Old 09-21-2002, 01:39 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by s2cmpugh
hey can someone tell plzzzzzzzzzzz for the love of god where these three wires are at??????
LOL well i'm not totally sure ALL of em but the main one for sure is the wire that directly connects to the negative terminal of the battery and attaches to the chassis. The other wires... i have no idea. I'll probably go through every single wire (esp. the starter) and replace it if possible. I just came back from Fry's and now i'm gonna attempt to install it. Ill take pics of everything and post it tonite.
Old 09-21-2002, 03:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can't wait to see those pics.
Old 09-21-2002, 04:04 PM

you could go to your local car audio store and get fuked on some 1/0 gauge wire or, welding cables work very much the same if not better due to thicker insulation
Old 09-21-2002, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by loudmaxima
you could go to your local car audio store and get fuked on some 1/0 gauge wire or, welding cables work very much the same if not better due to thicker insulation
i worked at West Marine, its a boat store. find one of them, we sold HUGE cables... its way cheaper than car stereo places.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:24 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Alright... well all I did this evening was upgrade the negative terminal of the battery to chassis connection. This was really too simple of a job.. i know there are other wires to upgrade but i didn't know exactly and i was feeling hecka lazy to figure it out. Perhaps someone else can enlighten us w/ that info.

Ok well here's the pics:

http://snow.prohosting.com/nsyed/wire_upgrade/

Now, did all this make a difference?

I will most likely see the difference when I replace/upgrade the wires that are connected to the starter but that's when i feel enthusiastic enough to take off the intake to get to the starter. Lemme know any more ideas or whatnot.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s
Alright... well all I did this evening was upgrade the negative terminal of the battery to chassis connection. This was really too simple of a job.. i know there are other wires to upgrade but i didn't know exactly and i was feeling hecka lazy to figure it out. Perhaps someone else can enlighten us w/ that info.

Ok well here's the pics:

I will most likely see the difference when I replace/upgrade the wires that are connected to the starter but that's when i feel enthusiastic enough to take off the intake to get to the starter. Lemme know any more ideas or whatnot.
isn't what you replaced a ground wire? isn't someone in the group deal forum having a deal on special gold ground wire kits and improive HP/elec?
Old 09-21-2002, 09:59 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by brodaiga

isn't what you replaced a ground wire? isn't someone in the group deal forum having a deal on special gold ground wire kits and improive HP/elec?
Was it only the ground wire? Well that's what i did... only cost me about 5 bucks. I can understand gold conducts the best when it comes to wiring, but if you have enough seperate thick wires connected, it pretty much comes out the same results.

BTW- you said HP/elec... electrical yea.. but i see no way it can improve HP.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:08 AM

would some good speaker wire work as well??? like some good thick monster cable or something??
Old 09-22-2002, 10:32 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I went with something that looks nicer...

..but it's pretty much the same concept.

http://imageevent.com/1max2nv/hkscircleearthsystem
Old 09-22-2002, 10:38 AM

Was it only the ground wire? Well that's what i did... only cost me about 5 bucks. I can understand gold conducts the best when it comes to wiring, but if you have enough seperate thick wires connected, it pretty much comes out the same results.

The hyper ground system is actually a bunch of ground wires that are supposed to run to different grounding points under your hood. The are supposedly high quality shielded wires and they claim a HP gain. In my opinin wire is wire and I did basically the same thing for about $20 (vs the $130 or so hyper ground wants). I don't know how this could give a power increase and I didn't expect one, but after I did this the engine was noticably smoother and there might have been a small power increase.

If the ground point is not a good clean connection a thick wire won't do much. On my 98 the factory ground points where badly corroded and probably not making that good of a connection. You can get 4 gauge wire with ring terminals already on the ends at Wal-Mart and probably at an auto parts store for cheap. For more information on making your own ooglie hyper ground system check this thread -- http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=143059

1MAX2NV put the HKS circle earth ground system in his car, I would guess it is similer to the Hyper Ground system. The thread has some very good pics of all the factory ground point under the hood - http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=153060

Dooohhh - 1MAX2NV beat me to it.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:42 AM

wow thanks guys, that helps alot. i agree im probably going to do the ugly trick b/c i agree wire is wire
Old 09-22-2002, 01:09 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by s2cmpugh
wow thanks guys, that helps alot. i agree im probably going to do the ugly trick b/c i agree wire is wire
Hmm yea... i still don't know about the HP increase but what the hell, i am so bored anyways lol. Since i FINALLY ordered the midpipe, I will do it all then. With the intake out of the way, i can get down to all the ground points, clean em out, and install new thick wires. When i get this part done, ill take some more pics and let u guys know if there's any positive effects of this mod.

BTW- This probably isn't related to the mod but for the first time i noticed something peculiar when i started my car for the first time. I heard this hissing sound coming from the left mid-rear side... i'm assuming it's the fuel pump but i never heard it so loud before. I hope it's nothing bad... the sound does eventually reduce after driving.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:05 AM

The hissing is the fuel pump. Mine does it as well. So far no probs.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:03 AM
I'm so hood

For more information on making your own ooglie hyper ground system check this thread -- http://forums.maxima.org/showthread...threadid=143059
*posts so he can look this up with his name in a search later*
I've been looking for that thread....thanks for posting the link.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hmmm cool. I am a complete MORON when it comes to electrical stuff though. Notice a difference in the light brightness?
Old 09-23-2002, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by Lime
hmmm cool. I am a complete MORON when it comes to electrical stuff though. Notice a difference in the light brightness?
Before I did this my headlights would dim at idle and then noticibly brighten when the engine was reved. Now there is barly any difference between the light brightness at idle and with the engine revved. I didn't notice a difference in overall brightness though.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:10 AM
What's next!?..

I was looking around the net today and found this site that sells spools of thick gauge wire.

25 feet of 1/0 wire is about $45. Thats $1.80/ft. Not too bad.

Only in Red and Black though.

http://autoelectrical.com/kits.shtml

SoundDomain and SoundFX sell the same gauge in various colors for about $4/ft.

JP

Old 09-25-2002, 01:39 PM

Im not that current on electrical stuff so basically what you do is take and existing ground wire for instance, there are 2 ground wires by the left front of the car next to the windsheild washer fluid fill. You take larger wires and just put them there and ground them to other places. Or do you have to take apart the wireing harness apart and replace the complete wire with larger ones. I'm not to up to date on these things and a complete dummies guide would be great i'm just not getting it all in thats all. Brian
Old 09-25-2002, 02:24 PM

To be perfectly honest, I'm a bit skeptical about this one. Has anyone just tried cleaning their grounds before doing this so that they would be comparing apples to apples? How about dyno testing after installation of wires (I don't mean by the manufacturer of the wire sets). If this turns out to be an honest to God real improvement, I'll run out and get a set myself but it still sounds a little hokie to me.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:25 PM

oh yeah, you have a ****load of more unnecessary wires
Old 09-25-2002, 05:38 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by DaddyMac

oh yeah, you have a ****load of more unnecessary wires
lol

well now i need to get smaller thicker gauge wire... also gotta go get me a gold/silver connecter for the negative terminal. I'm waiting for the frankencar so i can do this mod. You guys are right about cleaning the ground points, i plan to sand those down w/ sand paper. Also gotta do the positive terminal that way too to clean it out.

Damn i love the flextube, u ge like 14 feet for $2.50 in black or white. Ill go get some more of that when i do the mod and take pics again.

BTW- sorry for the ****ty quality in pics, i'm using my SiPix camera... $40 digital camera... u can only guess how good the quality gets.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:06 PM

HP Increase?

1st of all, smaller diameter wires in parallel ARE just as good as thick wires.

2nd - the only reason there could be an inmcrease in HP is because you are making better contact, more current/Amps that go to the high voltage circuit - better ignition, firing, better fuel burn!!!
Old 09-25-2002, 07:12 PM

The ground wire stuff is just like an exhaust or intake mod, you are not creating HP, you a freeing up HP that was normally trapped, either by a restrictive exhaust, or a quiet, stock intake. In this case, the HP you're freeing up is electrons. By making the path they travel a whole lot easier with these wires, the ECU can respond to a signal from the O2 sensors, ignition system etc, faster. If you have corroded battery terminals, cleaning them does the same thing, too.

DW

Old 09-25-2002, 07:17 PM

Nadir when you get the pics could you tell us how the mod went like ground wires for dummies how exactly to do it. WHere to put the wires in all. Thanks Brian
Old 09-25-2002, 07:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Was it only the ground wire?
Your distal termination of those wires is very questionable. You basically bolted to a bracket that in turn interfaces with the front. You are better off grounding directly to the unibody using the existing ground behind the battery, cleaning the area off thoroughly, and replacing the existing ground/chassis/engine block cable which is not doubt corroded where the wire is exposed and at the terminals. While you are at it. Consider replacing both positive and negative battery terminals with new ones.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:19 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by BC_95GLE
Nadir when you get the pics could you tell us how the mod went like ground wires for dummies how exactly to do it. WHere to put the wires in all. Thanks Brian
For sure

I plan to to this when i get my midpipe (frankencar* hope the wait isn't tooooo long). Afterwards, i'll make a complete step-by-step instruction guide w/ pictures. I can't wait to do this mod now, especially after reading the REASONS for how this mod would be useful.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:32 PM

Im not that current on electrical stuff so basically what you do is take and existing ground wire for instance, there are 2 ground wires by the left front of the car next to the windsheild washer fluid fill. You take larger wires and just put them there and ground them to other places. Or do you have to take apart the wireing harness apart and replace the complete wire with larger ones. I'm not to up to date on these things and a complete dummies guide would be great i'm just not getting it all in thats all. Brian
Basically what you do is add extra ground wires from the negative battery terminal to various grounding points under the hood. I replaced the stock ground wire and added additional wires. Some people just add additional grounds, check this thread for more info http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....readid=143059.
Originally posted by Freedog
To be perfectly honest, I'm a bit skeptical about this one. Has anyone just tried cleaning their grounds before doing this so that they would be comparing apples to apples? How about dyno testing after installation of wires (I don't mean by the manufacturer of the wire sets). If this turns out to be an honest to God real improvement, I'll run out and get a set myself but it still sounds a little hokie to me.
I'll be the first to admit that any gains/improvement I felt could be from bringing the grounds back up to new factory spec. This mod only cost me about $20, I don't have $100 to spend on dyno runs for a $20 mod. I felt there may have been a small power gain but the difference in engine smoothness and headlight dimming was apparent. For $20 I am satisfied with this mod.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:26 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Anachronism

Basically what you do is add extra ground wires from the negative battery terminal to various grounding points under the hood. I replaced the stock ground wire and added additional wires. Some people just add additional grounds, check this thread for more info http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....readid=143059.

I'll be the first to admit that any gains/improvement I felt could be from bringing the grounds back up to new factory spec. This mod only cost me about $20, I don't have $100 to spend on dyno runs for a $20 mod. I felt there may have been a small power gain but the difference in engine smoothness and headlight dimming was apparent. For $20 I am satisfied with this mod.
Do you have pics of your setup? What you did is exactly what i plan to do... and btw, what gauge wires did u use and how many additional wires do u now? thanks
Old 09-26-2002, 02:26 PM

Do you have pics of your setup? What you did is exactly what i plan to do... and btw, what gauge wires did u use and how many additional wires do u now? thanks
I have a pretty good description in the other thread. I do not own a digital camera but the pics Mishmosh has show most of the ground points I used. The pics 1MAX2NV has also show the ground points well.

I replaced the one factory ground wire with two 4 gauge wires. I also added three additional ground wires - A 4 Guage wire to the alternator bracket, an 8 gauge wire to the ground point just in front of the intake runners, and an 8 gauge wire to the grond point that is next to the battery (headlight harness ground?)
Old 09-26-2002, 05:05 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Mishmosh

Your distal termination of those wires is very questionable. You basically bolted to a bracket that in turn interfaces with the front. You are better off grounding directly to the unibody using the existing ground behind the battery, cleaning the area off thoroughly, and replacing the existing ground/chassis/engine block cable which is not doubt corroded where the wire is exposed and at the terminals. While you are at it. Consider replacing both positive and negative battery terminals with new ones.
I completely agree w/ you... I don't think what i did made any difference anyways. I'm plannin to do the whole thing from scratch w/ thicker wires and connected to all the ground points. I plan to sandpaper the ground points and also upgrade the terminal connecter thingy. For now, i'm in search for the cheapest and thickest wire i can find. If i find something @ a good price, i'll let u guys know.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:39 PM

I did a few groundings today with the wire i have i did the headlight one the injectors, and i did 2 wires to the negative where the battery ground is. A question i saw 2 ground points over by the driver side fenderwell what ground points are those. where is the chassi ground? Brian
Old 09-26-2002, 09:47 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

I did a few groundings today with the wire i have i did the headlight one the injectors, and i did 2 wires to the negative where the battery ground is. A question i saw 2 ground points over by the driver side fenderwell what ground points are those. where is the chassi ground? Brian
hey Brian

so did you actually notice any difference?
Old 09-27-2002, 07:04 AM

hey Brian

so did you actually notice any difference?

It starts a little quicker than usual i can't tell if grounding the injectors did anything for the gas milege yet i'm going out today to get more 8 and 4 gauge wires to ground the lights and a few other grounds i saw on 1max2nv's circle earth thing. I still dont know about the chassi ground and stuff those 2 grounds by the driverside fenderwell that are a pain to get to, dont know which ones those are. I saw on achro's that he took one of his wires from the battery ground to the chassi ground i took both wires from battery ground and ran them up to the bat. I can't understand the pics of mishmoshi's so i dont know where the chassi grounds are, my only problem. Brian
Old 09-27-2002, 08:04 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

i found a ground earlier this summer when i put on my y-pipe, it is in where the cat and the y meet.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by slimer
i found a ground earlier this summer when i put on my y-pipe, it is in where the cat and the y meet.
uuummmm ok... Does anyone have a better discription of where the chassi ground(s) are? i might have them i dont know yet my car is white so it's easier to notice these things mish's is black so it's hard to notice the picks need some help guys what in the hell am i lookin at with those grounds Brian
Old 09-27-2002, 11:10 PM

I added few more pics in the album. Some of the ground points are OEM, so of them I added.

Old 09-27-2002, 11:34 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
I added few more pics in the album. Some of the ground points are OEM, so of them I added.

excellent pics, thanks!

quick question- does your car start quicker now?
Old 09-28-2002, 07:44 AM

I really didn't notice.

excellent pics, thanks!

quick question- does your car start quicker now?

Quick Reply: upgrading to thicker wires to improve electrical system...