4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I have a fully functional Variable intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 02:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a fully functional Variable intake

We did the install today, and got it all done pretty easily in about 5 hours including making a custom bracket, cleaning the lower manifold and a trip to Lowe's for some brass fittings. Everything was pretty straight forward, with no major problems. Thanks to my friends Andy and Joe for the help, never would have gotten in done so easily. Only problem is that my RPM switch might be malfunctioning like a few others. It worked right away when we hooked it up, but then after 4 or 5 openings it quits working until the car is restarted. The switch doesn't reset itself though, so I am not sure if my problem is the same as others. Dave? Neal? First impressions are very good though...I noticed it right away. It pulls so much harder up top now. Can't wait to get my car to the track. I will do some more testing tonight if I get a chance. My car spins into second very hard now, and I even hit the rev limiter one time. It used to just chirp on the gear change. Overall I am pretty happy with this mod so far.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:14 PM
SLOW

After the first couple days, I haven't had a problem with my RPM switch. I think its been the same story with most people. A problem or two early and then it seems to work flawlessly...?

Glad you got it all installed, its fun isn't it
Old 09-21-2002, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
After the first couple days, I haven't had a problem with my RPM switch. I think its been the same story with most people. A problem or two early and then it seems to work flawlessly...?

Glad you got it all installed, its fun isn't it
you know..you are right, after the initial problems earlier today, my VI has worked flawlessly every single time this evening. And it is very nice, the pull in the top of second ( and third) is unreal. I am enjoying it very much.
Old 09-21-2002, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by 96sleeper

you know..you are right, after the initial problems earlier today, my VI has worked flawlessly every single time this evening. And it is very nice, the pull in the top of second ( and third) is unreal. I am enjoying it very much.
very cool! what RPM did you set your VI to open?
Old 09-21-2002, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by j_bryan

Right now I am on the 4600 rpm bandwagon, but I will do some experimenting of my own, and I eventualy plan to dyno to find the optimal point for my car.
Old 09-21-2002, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by 96sleeper

Right now I am on the 4600 rpm bandwagon, but I will do some experimenting of my own, and I eventualy plan to dyno to find the optimal point for my car.
On the 15 Dynos I have done, without (8 of them) and with (7) the SC, 5000 worked best each time.

If you do 4600, the hp/tq dips for a second at the switchover point (turbulence), and never comes back to full levels.

Same thing happens at 5500.....

It's really strange, but at 5000 it dips, but way less, and picks back up very quickly.

IanS
Old 09-21-2002, 10:25 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

I can't wait to get one... Congrats.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:32 AM

We had a great time helping you put the VI on Matt. Now you have to go to the drag strip the next time I go
Old 09-22-2002, 10:40 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by j_bryan

wow u can actually choose when you want it to open?! I know i'm going to sound a little stupid but if u can actually pick when, why doesn't everyone select theres to open at like .5 or 1?
Old 09-22-2002, 10:40 AM

Just when I thought I was going to catch your time.

Now you go and install a VI. Damn you! j/k I had mine set at 4600 last night when I ran my 15.01. Set at 5k it always seemed to hesitate for a minute right around 4k and then it would start climbing again. I should be getting it on the dyno in Oct. sometime so maybe I'll be able to play with it.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by meccanoble

wow u can actually choose when you want it to open?! I know i'm going to sound a little stupid but if u can actually pick when, why doesn't everyone select theres to open at like .5 or 1?
Don't worry. It's OK. you always sound stupid

Seriously, if you open it anywhere below 4k, the resonant length of the plenums is wrong for the amount of air your pushing, and you lose hp and tq.

Through long tested experience (I was the first one to get a VIAS on a NA car - Thus "Club Member #1), I have found that 5k is the best....even so much to say as it's better than 4900 and 5100RPM.

I would love to see however, other people's data. I'm always open for ideas.

So go Dyno that puppy!

IanS
Old 09-22-2002, 11:56 AM
SLOW

You only want short runners at high RPM, at low RPM you want long runners. When the vi "opens" it makes the runners effectively "shorter". If you were to switch to the short runners at 1000rpm for instance, you'd probably lose about 40 ft-lb of torque from 1000 all the way up to about 4500-5000, at which time you'd start seeing the advantage of the VI over the stock intake manifold. Basically it would feel like a small engine with alot of top end... sort of RSX-ish.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:51 PM

I don't think the VI design on our cars lengthens the runners. I haven't gotten mine yet but from the pics and seeing Speedtrips in person, I am of the thinking that the VI uses the butterfly valves to open up access to a resonance tunning chamber. I am applying what I read in September's Sport Compact Car. It's a very interesting article that starts on page 276. Happy reading.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
I don't think the VI design on our cars lengthens the runners. I haven't gotten mine yet but from the pics and seeing Speedtrips in person, I am of the thinking that the VI uses the butterfly valves to open up access to a resonance tunning chamber. I am applying what I read in September's Sport Compact Car. It's a very interesting article that starts on page 276. Happy reading.
I think you're right. I edited my post. It all has to do with resonance.

IanS
Old 09-22-2002, 10:24 PM
SLOW

The runners don't physically change length in our MEVI design, but the same principles apply. Too short a runner or "effective" runner will kill low end torque. Some cars have true dual runners, like SHOs, Integra GSRs and Prelude VTECs, etc.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:52 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

congrats

I would like to see your dyno and track numbers

get to the dyno and find your best switch over then go to the track.

I am in the same boat after day 2 my RPM switch was great no problems. where is yours located? mine is in the engine bay
Old 09-23-2002, 10:39 AM

Congrats!!!!

I'm glad you were able to get on and working with no problems...except that little RPM switch deal that fixed itself. Come to think of it I might of had the same problem...but can't recall. But, glad to see your enjoying it. Can't wait till you get your track times.

Have a great week,
John
Old 09-23-2002, 05:13 PM
SHODOG220

The runners don't physically change length in our MEVI design, but the same principles apply. Too short a runner or "effective" runner will kill low end torque. Some cars have true dual runners, like SHOs, Integra GSRs and Prelude VTECs, etc.
What do you mean by "true dual" runners? Do you mean 2 stages that are both equal length? cause if so, that is TOTALLY untrue. That would completely defeat the purpose of a dual stage intake. SHO's have 2 different lengths of runners just like the ones being described throughout this thread: short runners for high end, long runners for low end.

Old 09-23-2002, 11:32 PM
SHODOG220

WTF do you think I'm talking about. Why would anyone put dual runners that are the same length on a car. Like I said already, "true dual runners" are one long and one short... stop putting words into my mouth, I'm well aware of what I'm talking about I don't need someone trying to correct me when I'm already right.

And no, they are NOT just like the one's being described throughout this thread. The MEVI does NOT have true dual runners, but it has a secondary plenum that when open, changes the resonance of the runners so that they work more effectively at high RPM, but the physical length of the runners is not changed. The MEVI does not have true dual runners.

Thankyou, please drive through.
WHOA! Dude, chill! Im sorry, I wasnt trying to be a smart *** I just misunderstood what you were trying to say. sheesh! Sorry if I ****ed you off man.

Old 09-23-2002, 11:33 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by SHODOG220

What do you mean by "true dual" runners? Do you mean 2 stages that are both equal length? cause if so, that is TOTALLY untrue. That would completely defeat the purpose of a dual stage intake. SHO's have 2 different lengths of runners just like the ones being described throughout this thread: short runners for high end, long runners for low end.
No, you misunderstood.

The SHO, Integra GSR, etc, have true dual runners which you and I both know are different length, long for low end and short for high end power.

The MEVI which is currently being put on 4th gen Maximas does NOT have true dual runners. It has single runners only, but a secondary plenum that WHEN ACTIVATED changes the resonance effect of the runners, extending the torque plateau some and resulting in a bit more high RPM power. The MEVI does NOT have 2 sets of runners, like the SHO and GSR.

EDIT: Crap, sorry bout that. I was hoping I deleted that before you saw it. I just got done studying for a test and I was in a crappy mood when I posted that. I deleted it as you can see and worded it more nicely because I shouldn't have snapped at you like that. Sorry man I apologize.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:18 AM

Well even though the MEVI is not true dual runners, its still good right ??

I ordered mine last week and im beginning to think I wasted my money..Whould 2 runners for the 4th gen be better then the MEVI ?? and will they ever come out with them ??

-matt
Old 09-24-2002, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by matty
Well even though the MEVI is not true dual runners, its still good right ??

I ordered mine last week and im beginning to think I wasted my money..Whould 2 runners for the 4th gen be better then the MEVI ?? and will they ever come out with them ??

-matt
Anyone that has a VIM can tell you that it isn't a waste of money. There isn't a dual runner application for the 4gen or any Maxima that I'm aware of. The VIM is kinda like a dual runner...just for the fact that the air resonance doesn't have to travel all the way back to the end of the runner when the vavles close...it just bounces off the top of the VIM. Therefore cutting down on the resonance and getting more air in the cylinders at the higher RPMs. You are definitely going to feel something with this mod. It isn't an UDP, or high flow cat...this is something your going to feel on the dyno-butt.

-John
Old 09-24-2002, 09:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The key on this is to tune them to the cams. Figure out where the cams want to make the most torque, and set your intake up to accent them in that range, you'll get excellent cylinder fill and make a bunch of power.

One thing that's easy to do if you are only dealing with either 2 runners or a switch on your intake (ie a 2 position setting) is to dyno the car with it on all the time, and off all the time, and pick the point in the torque curve on the 2 graphs where they intersect. You'll find the where each set-up makes it's torque, and best where to cross them.

On my 89 SHO I get as much as 12 ft/lbs in a few hundred rpm range by switching to the shorter runners a few hundred rpm sooner.

mark
92 SHO - 14.70 @ 95.4 mostly stock
89 SHO - 13.93 @ 99.7 all motor 12.92 @ 108.9 on the bottle
Old 09-24-2002, 10:32 AM
SHODOG220

EDIT: Crap, sorry bout that. I was hoping I deleted that before you saw it. I just got done studying for a test and I was in a crappy mood when I posted that. I deleted it as you can see and worded it more nicely because I shouldn't have snapped at you like that. Sorry man I apologize.
Aint no thang man. BTW, your Maxima is SWEET! Im going to go look at a Black/Black 99 SE-L 5spd today. I cant afford it but if I could, I assure you it'd be in my driveway tonight!