4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

unbelievably loud exhaust help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 06:00 PM

unbelievably loud exhaust help!!

Well i did researching awhile ago and went with the frankencar,wsp y,stock cat,custom bent pipe, magnaflow street series, and 2 long resonators. I was happy with the sound for like 2 weeks, maybe cuz it was new. I thought it sounded much quieter than my frend's cat backs that own hondas. However i think prolonged rides in the car is very irritating. I need a way to fix it. people tell me to take off the magnaflow and run it back to the stock muffler with no resonators but i have seen some ppl on the org that say the sound will be unrefined. I want a sound that people will be deep and mean to keep the image of the maxima. Plz give me a solution. by the way i have an auto
Old 09-23-2002, 06:10 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: unbelievably loud exhaust help!!

Originally posted by rccardude909
Well i did researching awhile ago and went with the frankencar,wsp y,stock cat,custom bent pipe, magnaflow street series, and 2 long resonators. I was happy with the sound for like 2 weeks, maybe cuz it was new. I thought it sounded much quieter than my frend's cat backs that own hondas. However i think prolonged rides in the car is very irritating. I need a way to fix it. people tell me to take off the magnaflow and run it back to the stock muffler with no resonators but i have seen some ppl on the org that say the sound will be unrefined. I want a sound that people will be deep and mean to keep the image of the maxima. Plz give me a solution. by the way i have an auto
look for a leak in ure exhaust system. Perhaps the welding wasn't done right. I had a problem w/ rust on my old car and spanning about a week, the sound got progressivly worst until one day the welding just came off somehow and it was unbelievably loud.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:21 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

help me out here

what does the sound sound like?

is it a drone?

or a buzz?

bee's in can sound?
Old 09-23-2002, 08:33 PM

I had the muffler shop(different one from installation) check everything and it was fine. Its is a drone when im going at like from 45-maybe 65 or 70. I know all exhausts have drone, its just that in so cali, most local streets are around 45-50mph so that means im hearing the drone 24/7 and it's ****ing me off and my passengers. I am really leaning towards juss putting the stock muffler back on and take out the resonators but i'm not sure of the sound. I like the frankencar sound but it mostly accents the engines purr, but i think the exhaust sound makes it a little agressive. Maybe there is no solution to my problem w/aftermarket muffler, but if so, plz tell me fix
Old 09-23-2002, 08:39 PM

I want a sound that people will be deep and mean to keep the image of the maxima.

We're driving 4 door family sedans here!

Seriously though, when I put my rear pipe on, the noise level of the car doubled, if not tripled. Get a stock muffler and put a tip on it if the drone is bothering you. You won't loose much power from it unless you're boosted or running NOS, and even then, it still won't be that much.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:50 PM
CJP

Re: unbelievably loud exhaust help!!

Might want to switch out to a Borla muffler. I have a y-pipe and the Borla sound real nice. Hardly any noticable drone at crusing speeds and is quite at idle, but sound mean when you gun it.

Originally posted by rccardude909
Old 09-24-2002, 03:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

put your stock muffler back on
Old 09-24-2002, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by theblue
put your stock muffler back on
Agreed, it's not a bad muffler either...as long as you have the chrome tip
Old 09-24-2002, 03:58 PM

I'm going to be brave this weekend. I'm going to put on a Stillen B along with a Stillen muffler. Yeah, yeah, I have heard story about how loud that Stillen muffler is , but I just have to try it. I'm saving my stock SE muffler in case I can't stand it so I can put it back on.... And I agree... we drive a 4 door family sedan, it shouldn't be loud....

Tifosi
Old 09-24-2002, 04:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had the same problem...

my set up was similar but I found the right set up.

1. CAI/Wrspd/Greddy Sp = Holy Sh**...Loud...Drone!

2. added RT CAT and 2 resonators right after the cat = 60%less drone.

3. added a 9 inch Glass Pack resonator after the first bend by the rear suspension beam. NO DRONE. Sounds like a mustang, I swear it is sweet. my 5.0 friends love the sound. I couldn't believe the change in the tone. Less loud + no Drone. I wanted to keep the greddy.

you might be able to see it on my homepage, page six or seven.

for you a High flow cat and that last resonator will do the trick.
Old 09-28-2002, 06:44 PM

Ok, my friend put it the Stillen B-pipe with the SS Muffler for me today (Thanks global_threat), along with my Stillen Y and RT cat. It is loud! It's going to take some time to get used to it.... or get a resonator put in. But it's definitely mean, throaty sound!

Tifosi