4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone Heard Of These Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 09:03 AM

Anyone Heard Of These Tires?

hey all, i need a new set of tires.. and my fathers friend is trying to sell me AKURET Tires.. 215/55/16 for my '99 SE ..

just wondering if anyone heard of these, or uses these..

should i get them or go somewhere else???

thanks all..

--FMtek
Old 09-24-2002, 10:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Anyone Heard Of These Tires?

Originally posted by fmtek
hey all, i need a new set of tires.. and my fathers friend is trying to sell me AKURET Tires.. 215/55/16 for my '99 SE ..

just wondering if anyone heard of these, or uses these..

should i get them or go somewhere else???

thanks all..

--FMtek
Never heard of them, but they sound like poop. I wouldn't buy them. Spend some money and get some real, good tires. Better tires don't just make your car handle better, but they make your ride safer too. I know I sure wouldn't want to be caught in a blinding rainstorm with some AKURETs....
Old 09-24-2002, 10:41 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

No

and I would stay away from anything made by low budget, no name brands.... when it comes to tires.. you better off sticking to Dunlop, Yokohamas, etc..
tirerack.com has very good prices and ratings on tires.. with a large selection.. as well as great customer service.. I bought tires from them 3 times and will do it again soon.. check them out
Old 09-24-2002, 10:48 AM

If you don't care what kinda tires you have, get them. I would get them for my oem rims if they're cheap.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:30 AM

Nah, changed my mind

nah, i changed my mind...

the dealer i bought the car from is putting on new CONTINETAL tires on my OEM 5 star rims....

for free..

the reason: they gave me the car with 3 sets of tires..

2 in front: TOYO
1 in back: Pirelli
1 in back: Continetal

so they are going to give me all new stuff...

thanks for the input all..
i'd rather be safe than cheap...

--Frank
Old 09-24-2002, 11:32 AM

Not sure if you guys know, but most tires are made by only a handful of actual Tire Manufacturers. Bridgestone/Firestone, Goodyear, Yoko, Kumho, Toyo, Michelin (BFG, Uniroyal) to name a few. Most of the tires you see with no major brand has been manufactured for private labeling by one of these big dogs. So your general quality is the same across the board, with the exception of tread design, which the big dogs keep the really good ones for themselves. SO, I wouldn't worry too much unless you're really into the performance or something, they'll probably be fine for getting you from point A to point B
Old 09-24-2002, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by dtholmanmax
Not sure if you guys know, but most tires are made by only a handful of actual Tire Manufacturers. Bridgestone/Firestone, Goodyear, Yoko, Kumho, Toyo, Michelin (BFG, Uniroyal) to name a few. Most of the tires you see with no major brand has been manufactured for private labeling by one of these big dogs. So your general quality is the same across the board, with the exception of tread design, which the big dogs keep the really good ones for themselves. SO, I wouldn't worry too much unless you're really into the performance or something, they'll probably be fine for getting you from point A to point B
roger that
Old 09-24-2002, 01:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If I remember right you can go to the US Dept. of Transportation website and find out the tire manufacturers DOT number. This number must be on each tire they make regardless of whose name is on the tire.
Old 09-24-2002, 01:37 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

exactly.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:54 PM
dko
duck and cover

I wouldn't worry too much unless you're really into the performance or something, they'll probably be fine for getting you from point A to point B
what about emergency handling? degradation of performance at high and low temperatures?

i can never understand why people cheap out on tires. I've done a bit of stuff to my car and I (as well as plenty of others who have a lot more invested in their ride) can tell you that tires make the biggest difference on the widest spectrum of things in your car. think about it, what other item can you invest in that will give you:

1) better ride
2) more grip thus better performance
3) better handling
4) better braking

it's all a matter of choice, I guess, but you know which choice I went with
Old 10-03-2002, 01:46 PM

Re: Anyone Heard Of These Tires?

I put Kelly Navigator Platinums 205-65-15s on my 99 Maxima. I have the stock steel rims. The ol' lady drives the car and we live in Cleveland, so far this has been a great tire (3,000 miles). 80,000 mile warranty and all season design. You might have to dig around a bit as these are just starting to hit the market. The Navigator Golds are more common.
I put Dunlop Sport A2s 205-55-16s on my 98 Audi A6. I am very satisfied with those tires. They would probably be good on a Maxima.
Note that Kelly and Dunlop are owned by Goodyear.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:21 PM

Think again. You''re right, but mostly Wrong. As in any manufacturing area, the 'big dogs' do lend their processes out to smaller companies, but they use cheaper material.

Cheaper material and cheaper processes = cheaper tires for smaller companies. Yeah, these tires will get you from point A to point B, but do you want to risk your life and car just by saving a few bucks?
Old 10-04-2002, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by Str8ridin

Think again. You''re right, but mostly Wrong. As in any manufacturing area, the 'big dogs' do lend their processes out to smaller companies, but they use cheaper material.

Cheaper material and cheaper processes = cheaper tires for smaller companies. Yeah, these tires will get you from point A to point B, but do you want to risk your life and car just by saving a few bucks?
Please note that what I am saying is that the basic tire is the same across the board for what is being punched out from one manufacturer. You WILL, however, get what you pay for in many instances. You're not going to want to get an off brand tire for autocrossing or if you just put serious strain on your car. But if you are a normal person who drives a Max, which their are many more of these people out there than Org members, then a cheaper tire might be more reasonable. All tires must pass certain DOT standards to even be made, so you're not going to find "unsafe" tires out on the market. Even the FS Wilderness is an ok tire when inflated to the TIRE MANUFACTURER's SPEC, not the AUTO MANUFACTURER's Specs.