4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brembo rotors/ Axis Metal pads 97-99

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 10:30 PM

Brembo rotors/ Axis Metal pads 97-99

I just changed my brakes and thats what I got now, Brembo drilled and slotted rotors and Axis Metal pads and it seems like the grip of the brake pedal is not as strong as it used to be. I thought the brakes had to be bleeded and one of the mechanics done that for me but he what he said is I bought totally wrong parts for my car, my car wasn't designed to have drilled and slotted rotors and the pads re supposed to be organic and not metal. Because of all these factors, thats the reason my front brakes re not as grip anymore as it used to be, when I would press on my brakes and the tires would usually lock up. He also said I lose all the friction because of the holes in the rotors. What do you all think? I thought all people were happy w/ their Axis Metal Pads and Brembo rotors. So far, I don't really like the results and the reason I decided to ask is because I was involved in the accident couple days ago which was because of my brakes, which never locked up my tires when I slammed on my brakes. The car just kept on rolling slowly... Thanks for all the input!
Old 09-25-2002, 11:08 PM
SLOW

Well, rotors wont help or hurt you one way or the other, on the street, cross drilling and slotting is just for looks. On a track, its a different story but that's not the issue here.

As far as the metalmaster pads, I always got the impression that most people on here seem to be happy with them. They certainly are popular anyhow. I don't have them personally, they wouldn't be up to snuff on the track, but for street driving I think most people like them.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Brembo rotors/ Axis Metal pads 97-99

Originally posted by EuroMaxima99SE
I just changed my brakes and thats what I got now, Brembo drilled and slotted rotors and Axis Metal pads and it seems like the grip of the brake pedal is not as strong as it used to be. I thought the brakes had to be bleeded and one of the mechanics done that for me but he what he said is I bought totally wrong parts for my car, my car wasn't designed to have drilled and slotted rotors and the pads re supposed to be organic and not metal. Because of all these factors, thats the reason my front brakes re not as grip anymore as it used to be, when I would press on my brakes and the tires would usually lock up. He also said I lose all the friction because of the holes in the rotors. What do you all think? I thought all people were happy w/ their Axis Metal Pads and Brembo rotors. So far, I don't really like the results and the reason I decided to ask is because I was involved in the accident couple days ago which was because of my brakes, which never locked up my tires when I slammed on my brakes. The car just kept on rolling slowly... Thanks for all the input!
What break in procedure did you use? It will take me a good 500 miles to get new rotors and pads totally broken in based on how it is going. I did my break in procedure at night when the traffic would be light because I knew my braking would not be 100%. I have have slotted and X drilled Brembo fronts and EMC rears, I choose to go with Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic pads. I also flushed and bleed my brake system. So far no problems.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:57 AM

I have this combo on my Z. You push the brake pedal hard and it stops like it means it.

Proper bedding of the pads and rotors is critical. If not done correctly the first time they will never be correct. If you have qustions on how to bed see brembo's web page.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:36 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I also have the Stillen setup which is Brembo Cross Drilled and Metal Axis pads. You need to break them in properly. Give them at least 300 miles before they start to function correctly. Thats the case with any new break setup. I've had them on my car now for about 2 months now. There excellent, grap nice, smooth as all hell, and if you stomp on them, they STOP YOU!