4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just Ordered STILLEN cross-drilled rotors YAY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 04:20 PM

Just Ordered STILLEN cross-drilled rotors YAY!!!

I'm so happy, I just ordered my stillen cross-drilled rotors. I was going to upgrade the front anyway, and the back was warped so these seemed like the best value. Today was also the last day that they were giving away the METAL MATRIX for free when you bought the rotors, so I got all four rotors and all four pads for under $400 shipped. That is about the same price as if you would take it to the dealer and had them do it for you.
I know I should have got the stainless brake lines as well, but I'm on a budget and need to save money for insurance. Anyone have any tips for installing them so they don't squeak? I am doing them myself, with the help of a friend who is going to school to be a mechanic.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 09-27-2002, 05:08 PM
ivelweyz

Re: Just Ordered STILLEN cross-drilled rotors YAY!!!

Originally posted by DanSE
I'm so happy, I just ordered my stillen cross-drilled rotors. I was going to upgrade the front anyway, and the back was warped so these seemed like the best value. Today was also the last day that they were giving away the METAL MATRIX for free when you bought the rotors, so I got all four rotors and all four pads for under $400 shipped. That is about the same price as if you would take it to the dealer and had them do it for you.
I know I should have got the stainless brake lines as well, but I'm on a budget and need to save money for insurance. Anyone have any tips for installing them so they don't squeak? I am doing them myself, with the help of a friend who is going to school to be a mechanic.
Thanks,
Dan
wow, should have gotten slotted instead...

Old 09-27-2002, 05:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, at least you paid only half of what I paid for them a few years ago.

Once they warp or get scored, it will be harder to resurface them since they are cross drilled.

Maybe slotted might be easier to resurface if the need ever arises. Well, I guess slotted removes glazing and contamination more than cross drilled types.

At least you got a decent deal from $tillen.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:55 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your gonna love those brakes. I just did my car about 6 weeks ago. They stop great and look great. You can't go wrong for 400 bucks. Paint your calipers for a completely finished look.

FRONT

REAR

Old 09-27-2002, 08:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Your gonna love those brakes. I just did my car about 6 weeks ago. They stop great and look great. You can't go wrong for 400 bucks. Paint your calipers for a completely finished look.

FRONT

REAR

Wow, looks great. I got the Brembo rotors in the front right now and the stock in the rear. That pic is enough to convince to get the Stillen rotors for the front and rear.

Btw, where did you guys get the rotors from? Who sell them the cheapest?
Old 09-27-2002, 08:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i've had my Stillen cross-drilled rotors for a yr and a half now and they are awesome i also have the metal matrix pads, but im lookin to go with the Baer big brake kit soon.
Old 09-28-2002, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the replies, njmaxsltd: was the install hard, how did you paint your calipers, did you remove them or just tape off everything else? Do your brakes squeak at all?
Thanks,
Dan
Old 09-28-2002, 03:54 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by DanSE
Thanks for the replies, njmaxsltd: was the install hard
Nope, piece of cake

how did you paint your calipers, did you remove them or just tape off everything else?
I took them apart, got all the hardware off. Cleaned them the brake cleaner that comes with the Folea Tec kit, paint, dry, assemble.

Do your brakes squeak at all?
Thanks,
Dan
There nice and quiet.