4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Got Porterfield Brake Pads Installed!! Impressions and couple ?s....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 02:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Got Porterfield Brake Pads Installed!! Impressions and couple ?s....

Wow..I had no idea switching brake pads could make this much of a difference. I immediately felt the difference and I don't have to press down on the brake pedal nearly as hard. Also, on my old pads when I braked really hard, it would squeal like crazy for a long time until they cooled off. I can brake even harder with these and they stay almost silent...I couln't be happier.

The brake guy that installed them only put the front pads in because he said the rear pads were perfectly good and he would have charged me $30 extra to put the rears in...its not going to hurt to have stock Nissan pads in the back and Porterfields in the front is it?

Also, the guy wanted to resurface my front rotors for extra $$...he said they weren't bad but it would help down the road...what good would it have done?
Old 09-28-2002, 03:54 PM
Keven97SE

Re: Got Porterfield Brake Pads Installed!! Impressions and couple ?s....

I used to run with only Porterfields in the front (stocks on rears), and the car braked just about as good as the car does now with Porterfields in the back as well. Actually, it's almost better to have stock or near-stock pads in the rears because the e-brake works better when the car is parked on steep inclines. Braking is really no better with the PFs in the rear because 80-90% of the braking is done by the fronts.

Resurfacing is usually a good idea but if the grooves in your rotors is light, you should be fine. Grooves will cause the brake pads to take longer to break in completely (takes longer to wear down to contour to the rotors), and may cause slight vibrations when braking. You're probably fine, though.

Originally posted by sidewinder740
Wow..I had no idea switching brake pads could make this much of a difference. I immediately felt the difference and I don't have to press down on the brake pedal nearly as hard. Also, on my old pads when I braked really hard, it would squeal like crazy for a long time until they cooled off. I can brake even harder with these and they stay almost silent...I couln't be happier.

The brake guy that installed them only put the front pads in because he said the rear pads were perfectly good and he would have charged me $30 extra to put the rears in...its not going to hurt to have stock Nissan pads in the back and Porterfields in the front is it?

Also, the guy wanted to resurface my front rotors for extra $$...he said they weren't bad but it would help down the road...what good would it have done?